3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

blow by and swirly port heads.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 01:16 AM

blow by and swirly port heads.

Hey guys n gals,
i have a very annoying problem i have never experienced before. i am going to be extremely detailed to avoid confusion. here is goes. i purchases a sbc 350 that had some miles on it, it was burning excessive oil but ran well. i originally thought it had vortec heads but i have now become aware they are not. they are 1994ish swirl port heads #10110810 from a tbi truck. anyways the engine was rebuilt bored .30 over magnifluxed block and both heads. crankshaft grinded .010, resurfaced cylinders .007. knurilized valve guides. new flat top pistons, moly rings, new oil pump, oil pump shaft, main baring, rod baring. comp cam 12-238-2, int .462 ext .469 comp lifters. broke in cam with the recommended oil. here is where it gets interesting, engine runs great almost perfect, but it is still burning as much oil as before the rebuild! ill be honest it has alot of idling time as i was still working on the rest of the truck. i did not notice any oil burning, until i finally took the vehicle out. once warm it burns 1ltr every 100 miles. concerned i completed a leak down test cold. i have 20% leak on each cylinder. new pcv valve on drivers side cover, breather on passenger side.holly 4160 750 cfm, edelbrock intake. the intake center 4 holes have been reamed out to bolt to the swirl heads, i have removed the intake to review the gaskets. installed new fel-pro gaskets and confirmed they are sealing around the EGR port, as well as everywhere else. heat gauge reads 180, but some spots when skin touching valve covers are hotter then others. i see the puffs of steam out of valve cover breather and pcv valve when i pull them out and rev the engine.it appears i am getting excessive blow by on all 8 cylinders, all plugs are wet with oil. i only notice blue smoke when warm, it becomes more as the engine warms. im at a lose any ideas are appreciated. some extra info, it burned about the same amount of oil before rebuild, i found excessive carbon under intake before rebuild, im already seeing how this is continued after rebuild. i do not know what else to check? what other reason can be causing the blow by? maybe the rings did not seat? its peppy, and if it were not for the blue smoke i wouldn't think i had an issue its running very well.