3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Help!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:30 PM

Help!

Hey guys got a question. My camaro won't start. It cranks and cranks but won't fire. Any ideas?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 AM

Re: Help!

Turn your key to the Accel position, and listen to hear if your fuel pump is priming...it's like a little "whiiiiiiirrrrrr" noise. If you do not hear that then you have your problem. It might not be the fuel pump necessarily, but maybe a fuse or a relay. I dont know much about this system but others can chime in and explain how to test the relay and things of that nature.

_Clark
Old 04-24-2006, 08:54 AM

What year, model, engine, and do you have the little resistor in your ignition Key?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 PM

It's an 1987 IROC-Z with the 5.0 If it is the relay where is the fuse or relay located for this model. I don't think I have the thing in my key.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:22 AM

you might wanna take a look at the ignition coil. i dont think the motor would even crank without the resistor in the key.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:59 AM

The resister key didn't come out until '89. I would check the fuel pressure first,make sure you have pressure if not check the pump fuse,the pump relay,then the regulator,and pump. Then the igntion modual,coil and igntion switch at the base of the steering column.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:37 AM

Yup if you dont hear a noise (humming at the rear) when you turn the key towards the accessory position then it might be related to fuel pump. I had the same problem on my 87 Z but i found out that a wire from the battery is running to the fuel pump(a lil seperate wire runnin down from the big main wire). SO i would check out the wiring from your battery and grab a test light and poke around the wire's from the fuel pump to your battery and actually make sure that power is going to it. If your not able to do this find a mechanic or a friend and let them help out for an exhange in beer . Hope this helps any ...AND MAKE SURE you let us know how you solve this problem it really helps others in the future
Old 04-26-2006, 01:41 PM

yeah thanks guys. i'll check and let you all know. thanks alot!

Search this Thread