2016+ Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and General Discussion All 2016+ 6th Gen Camaro news, photos, videos, and General Dsicussion

Better traction in snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 PM

Better traction in snow.

Yes my new 6 Gen is my daily driver and with the slicks my car came with make it difficult to drive in winter conditions. So lets say I don't want to buy new tires is there anything else one can do to get better traction? How about 150lb sand bags in the trunk for more weight will that work?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Better traction in snow.

Tires are the ONLY way to fix your winter traction issues.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Nope you just have to brake down and get the correct tires for the weather.Slicks for for racing. Snow tire dig down in snow to get traction .Add studs or tire changes for icy roads .Other wise park the car .Its safer for you and the other drivers.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:54 PM

So Tire Chains would work? I never thought about that. Thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 10:53 AM

Check out: Spikes-Spider: Easier, Better than Tire Chains - Winter Driving

I have this set: 275/40/17

I have a set of these that I used in Colorado (I live in Vegas now) that have been used a hand full of times that I would let go for $100 plus shipping. I'll take pictures if you are interested. I'd also need your wheel sizes to make sure they would fit.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:10 PM

Drew,

Thanks for the offer but I have 275/35R20 for rear tires. I would buy them from you if they would fit.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM

That's cool. I would definitely look at the brand as an option if you are not frightened by the cost. They are super easy to put on (you mount a plate to your wheel ahead of time) with no jacking required. You do have to jack to get them off, however.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Wide tires are no good in the snow. I bought my Formula brand new in California, and a year later moved to NJ. The stock 245/50-16 summer performance tires were useless in snow. I bought a set of four 215/60-16 Blizzak ice/snow tires from Tire Rack, mounted on some "takeoff" salad shooters. Real improvement in snow, but not faultless - still required a lot of care. Can't imagine how you could get any traction at all in snow w/ 275 tires and all that HP.

Big drawback on the Blizzaks.... limited traction on dry pavement - mom & pop Buicks would lose me at the lights.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 PM

Ok guys tomorrow is going to be interesting we are suppose to get 2-4 inches of snow. And no I still have on my original tires on. So I will test out my car around the block to see if I can drive it. I have full tank of gas plus an extra 150lbs in the trunk. Will post tomorrow the results of this experiment.
This isn't the first time I have driven a camaro in snow before. This is my 3rd Camaro I have owned and I live in the north where it snows, if anything my experience will help out more than anything else. Heres to good luck tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Ok I left the Camaro home. Street was pure ICE so I used my wifes Durango to go to work.