2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension

Wheels/Tires vs Suspension - Best upgrade from stock SS for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:05 PM

Wheels/Tires vs Suspension - Best upgrade from stock SS for autocross

I'm looking to start upgrading my Camaro for the autocross and I wanted to see, what upgrade would you do first: wheels/tire or suspension?

So far everything is stock except for the motor & brake pads. Went with intake, cam, heads & exhaust for 500whp and looking to improve the handling now.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Re: Wheels/Tires vs Suspension - Best upgrade from stock SS for autocross

IMHO, tires would be the first thing I would look at. Grip will allow more use of power over the turns. On the cheap, I would look at an Energy Suspension kit to replace all of the rubber in the stock suspension components. Again on the cheap, I would do a strut tower brace. Most versions are between $100 - $150, and it really tightens the car in harder turns. I noticed a big difference with sub frame connectors as well.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS
IMHO, tires would be the first thing I would look at. Grip will allow more use of power over the turns. On the cheap, I would look at an Energy Suspension kit to replace all of the rubber in the stock suspension components. Again on the cheap, I would do a strut tower brace. Most versions are between $100 - $150, and it really tightens the car in harder turns. I noticed a big difference with sub frame connectors as well.
I'm looking at going 18x10 and a premier autocross tire (Rival-s or RE71 style). What size wheel would you go with?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:31 PM

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/whe...spacing-71162/

See this for details on sizing. There are a few things to think about. I think 18's are a good place size wise, because it allows you to upgrade to 14" rotor and 6 piston brake combos. Depending on how you are racing, these might be a needed step to prevent fading in your brakes. Others will have more detailed information, but generally the longer a race you plan on running, the more attention you will need to pay to your stopping ability.

I am not sure 10" on the front is possible without some serious modification. Fred mentions in the linked post that 9.5 is the largest for the front.

Passed that, I think the things you need to look at are budget, style, then weight. I have been really happy with Hawks Motorsports for technical advice regarding the fbody. I would give them a call and let them know what you are looking to do. They have a fairly large wheel/tire selection, and carry all of the other suspension and brake related items that you may be interested in.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:27 PM

f-body is gen 4 stuff right? I'm a gen 5 which I believe already has the 6 piston caliper. Most will be autocross, maybe the road course challenge @ ls fest west. I take my other unmentionable car (sn95 lol) to the road course. Does the gen 5 fit 18x10 in the front?

Budget for wheels, tires, vinyl stickers and brake pads is ~7500. I'm looking at forgelines new ge1r (I think that is the model) and the above mentioned tires.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Administrator

My comments in the linked thread are only for 4th Gens, and do not apply to 5th Gens. Not sure that we have anyone here with the required experience on a 5th Gen. I don’t know anything about them.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:09 PM

Fbody refers to all Camaros/Firebirds, the gen is more specific. My advice was based on 4th gen knowledge, and I have not turned a bolt on a 4th or 5th gen. I would still go for tires first, but check out if the listed mods are stock with your car, it could still be useful, but will require further digging.