Raising a 2012 RS - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising a 2012 RS

Old 11-06-2018, 11:55 AM

Raising a 2012 RS

Hello. First time here.
I own a 2012 RS and I'm having some issues getting the car in and out of the driveway due to the angle of the ramp. A 1/2" to maybe 3/4" lift would probably do the trick.
I see there are "leveling" kits available to adjust height. Any advice for accomplishing this would be appreciated. I would like to do the work myself, so something that will do the job safely and be a reasonable install with hand tools.
I'm no tech, but can turn a wrench.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Russ
Old 11-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Re: Raising a 2012 RS

Hi Russ, and welcome to the site.

Unfortunately, most of the people who still frequent this site are 4th gen owners, and don't have much if any experience with 5th gens. That said, we are always willing to throw in our two cents.

I think by leveling, you are talking about air bags, that would allow you to raise and lower the car from a switch. The biggest draw back to this type of system is the amount of things that must be installed and plumbed to make the system work. Basically you would replace both the front struts and read shocks with suspension components like mentioned in your post (some body modification may be required). You would then need to install a compressor, tank and air lines to the struts and shocks to provide a method for you to add air (raise the car) and remove air (lower the car). Wrap all that up with the electrical wiring and switches to operate the system.

I would personally rate this type of install as advanced, because there are a number of things you could run into, need to modify, or have some background knowledge about. Additionally, if the car is your daily driver, you may need more than a day or two to get the whole install done. It sounds like a cool project, but I would do some serious looking at what is involved with an air bag install before attempting to do it yourself.

In any case, welcome to the site and keep us posted on what you do!

Last edited by DrewHMS97SS; 11-06-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:23 PM

Hello Drew. Thanks you for the quick reply. I'm sure an airbag system would do the job, but I am looking for a fairly simple solution.
It seems that kits are available that are basically spacers, either between spring and strut, and not sure but I think others space between strut and body (for the rears anyway).
I appreciate the welcome and reply.
Russ

Last edited by Doc C; 11-06-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-06-2018, 03:27 PM

Are you looking to permanently raise the car for more clearance or for the ability to adjust on the fly?
Old 11-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Adjust on the fly would be great, but that would be air-ride or the like. Way more then I'm looking for.
I am looking to do a permanent raise of 1/2 to 3/4" which would likely fix my issue. I was actually looking at drilling a new higher hole in the rear lower a-frame to raise the lower mount point for the rear strut, but I figured I would look into a store bought engineered fix first.
Russ
Old 11-06-2018, 04:05 PM

Here is a kit for the front: Hotchkis 2010-13 Camaro Front Strut Spacer for Super Chargers, 1/2" Lift - Hawks Third Generation

You could also convert to a coil over system which would allow you to adjust both the front up or down. I would definitely check with SLP is where the 2" adjustability starts (is it maxed out at stock ride hight)? SLP 2010-13 Camaro V8 Coil-Over Spring and Shock System, front / rear - Hawks Third Generation
Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

You could raise the car 1/2” afl around with a 1” larger diameter tire. That way it won’t look like you jacked up the car and opened up the gap between the top of the tire and the lower edge of the fender opening.

Alternatively, adjustable height coil-over replacement shocks. These appear to be the least expensive set available. No idea about the quality.

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...k-cca10-ez.htm

Also not sure how these replace/integrate with/impact the rest of the suspension components.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:09 PM

The larger tire would require adjustment to the tune to keep the speedo correct, right?
Old 11-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS View Post
The larger tire would require adjustment to the tune to keep the speedo correct, right?
Yes. I think there are hand-helds for the 5th Gen
Old 11-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the links. Those front strut spacers may be in my future.
"is it maxed out at stock ride height".......I'm not sure what you mean by maxed out. This is bone stock. Are you saying they have adjustment??
Also "SLP". What is that?
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:06 PM

The taller tire is an option I am looking into. It happens I am ready for tires, and I e-mailed Tire-Rack just today to ask if I could buy the correct size tire that was taller than the oem . They replied, but did not fully understand my question, so I await the next reply. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

SLP, or Street Legal Performance was authorized by GM in 1988 to develop and build specialty vehicles for GM, like the Camaro SS and the Firehawk. They also had a performance parts division the made aftermarket performance parts for various performance vehicles. In 2013 SLP sold the performance parts division to Roush, who continued to use the SLP Performance Parts name. Not clear which one actually makes the kit in the link above.

In order to avoid confusion, the remaining SLP specialty vehicle company changed their name to SVE, Specialty Vehicle Engineering. SVE is building the 1,000 HP Yenko Camaros that will be sold through GM dealers.... only 25 of them, price north of $110,000 I believe.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

PS:

What size tires do you have now - front and rear? I can tell you what the 1” larger size is, that fits on your current wheels.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:46 AM

As Fred mentioned, SLP is who made the coil-over kit I linked. The kit is adjustable to raise or lower the car by 2", but the question that needs to be asked if you consider going that direction is where that 2" starts. For instance, does the tallest setting start at OEM ride height, and allow the car to be lowered up to 2", or is there some play to allow the car to be raised higher than OEM ride height?
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 AM

So these are the oem wheels and tires.
Front: 245/45-20
Rear: 275/40-20
I just learned that 21's were available on this car which would have been great, but I have no intention of replacing my rims, especially since I have 2 sets that I switch out for Winter/Summer.
Thanks, Russ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raising a 2012 RS

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.