2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Cooling fans running at startup

Old 05-21-2017, 07:03 PM

Cooling fans running at startup

I have an issue with my 2010 V-6 Camaro. Recently, the cooling fans have been coming on at start up, however it doesn't do it every time. I first noticed it when using remote start. When approaching the car it sounded a lot louder, realized it was the fans. I don't know jack squat about cars and wondered if it was some weird glitching thing that happened only when using remote start. However, after a week or so of
this I've come to realize it's completely random. Sometimes they come on (with about a 4-5 second delay after start) and it doesn't seem to matter if I start it with the key or remotely.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and it's been really cool so it's not like their coming on to cool the engine. Also, my temp gauge doesn't indicate that it's over heating, and the DIC is showing a regular temp as well.

We finally had a warm day about a week ago so I turned on the AC. It was then that I realized the AC wasn't blowing cold. It comes on, and it blows but the air is about the same as the outside temp. Once or twice I've turned on the AC and it felt cool (not cold) for about 30-60 seconds and then it goes back to blowing warm air. I should also mention that the cooling fans come on no matter what position the AC switches are in, off, on, doesn't matter the fans still randomly com on.

So, any thoughts on what would cause the cooling fans to come on in these situations? Also, whatever the matter it seems to be tied to my AC not working properly. Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Re: Cooling fans running at startup

Scan the PCM for codes. When certain codes set, the PCM turns on the fans to protect the engine. Is your SES light on?

A/C could be low on refrigerant. That would cause loss of cooling and low A/C pressure, which could set a code.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. To demonstrate my lack of knowledge about cars in general I had to google both PCM and SES. Im not getting the SES message at this time, and regarding codes I was told over the phone (when I called Autozone) that they won't scan the system unless the check engine light is on.

I'd like to be able to take it in for a diagnosis but I just moved to the area and don't know who to trust as far as finding a reputable shop. I'm a single female and I feel like the service departments at dealerships have taken advantage of me in the past and I just can't afford that again at the moment. I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me an idea of what kind of issue I might be having so I can get an idea of what to expect when I do take it in.

I had a bad fuel injector at the start of last summer, took it to the Chevy dealer in Portland and it cost me just over $2k to have it fixed. I've been told more than once that was excessive $$ for that issue.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Taking the initiative to google things you don't understand puts you ahead of many. :thumbsup:

One other thing to know: if you have the defroster/defogger on, that engages the A/C regardless of any other setting.

Good luck finding a reputable mechanic who won't mistreat you. I've had good luck using the Mechanix Files: Mechanics Files | Car Talk
Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Administrator

The SES light is only on when there is an "active" problem code. But even if the problem goes away, the code stays stored in the PCM for a specific number of drive cycles and can be retrieved, even if the light is not on. You can scan it yourself with an OBD-2 code scanner. They are inexpensive, and can even be done with phone apps and a cable. Code lists are available online.

Assuming your 2010 V6 Camaro is a 3.6L LLT RPO code:

https://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/p...iagnostics.pdf

But since the SES light isn't on, you may not have an active problem. Thing is, there are some codes that do not turn on the SES light, particularly ones that aren't emissions related or don't pose any threat to the engine. I really have no knowledge of the specifics of the 2010 V6 system. A dealer has more sophisticated scan tools for diagnostics, but of course they have a fairly high price for using them.

Last edited by Injuneer; 05-22-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 AM

Thanks again for the reply. It's so random that I fear it will be a weird one to diagnose. It didn't happen at all yesterday but the AC isn't working properly. Blows semi-cold for just a couple of minutes (but not nearly as cold as usual for my car) then blows warm air). Seems the issues would be related but I really don't know.

I'm wondering if I should have the system recharged (haven't had the AC serviced all before) to see how it goes. I am wondering though should I have it vac'd out and get the full service or just recharged?

Search this Thread