2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z/28 camp.....SS camp.....GET IN HERE!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 PM

Re: Z/28 camp.....SS camp.....GET IN HERE!!!!!!!

I'd like to see the SS as the "top" model with the biggest engine and most horsepower. Also with the added "extras" that people like.

However, that is only if the Z/28 can be more than just the mid-model.

Okay, the Z/28 doesn't have the most HP in my scehario. Give it enough to be a contender. And then make it only one way - only performance.. no weight adding luxuries. No Navi, No seat heaters, no power seats, automatic transmissions..but keep the things we really need (AC/PW/PL/ABS, etc.) and leave in the removable roof panel, because, dammit, I like it. The Z/28's focus would be "the best handling coupe. Period." It'd cost less than the SS, too. It would look "more Mean"

So under this scenario, why would you buy an SS?
-Faster in a straight line, still handles well
-Automatic Trans available
-Extra optional doodads
-Bigger Wheels than Z
-Different look. More bling than mean.

well that's what I'd do...
Old 01-17-2006, 09:14 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
...Give the drag car the torquey, "***** to the wall" grunt of the 427, while the track car gets the smaller, yet happier high-revving supercharged 6.2L? In that case, the SS's 427 ("LS7") could give up its dry-sump oil system to its brother, the Z28, which will need that on the 6.2L that's gonna be flying around corners .
that makes no sense. the dry sump NA motor would be better suited for cornering. A supercharged Gen4 motor will have a higher center of gravity.

For the drag racers, it's way too easy to swap pullies

If you ask me, the Camaro SS should be done like the Cobalt SS (gasp!) There are 2 Cobalt SS coupes. The regular SS and the SS Supercharged with a more aggressive appearance package.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 PM

Cool Re: Z/28 camp.....SS camp.....GET IN HERE!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Gunny Highway
So I would have to pony up for a SS if I wanted power (than the lessers) with an automatic? That's just dumb. With today's modern automatics, you can't shift faster than they can, so what the hell is the point? I know some on here will say that it connects you more to the car, etc. . . however, living in a big city with crappy traffic and not feeling like getting a calf workout everyday to and from work, why should I have to pony up $4k more for the whole package, as opposed to the normal $1k or so for an auto?
You should probably move out of the city where you could actually enjoy life, and your cars. Why would you buy a 400hp car if all you can do is sit in traffic?

Remember, there is more than one advantage to having a manual.
-Better gas mileage (more gears) --- Of course this is slowly becoming not so true, as automatics are getting fitted with more
- More HP to the wheels
- Lighter
- Cheaper from factory
- Easier/cheaper to replace clutch than to rebuild an engine
- Bragging rights
- It's a security device (if you can't drive a stick, you can't steal it)
- Being able to roll start it

Pro's of automatic:
- Lazy *******s can just mash the gas and go
- shifts faster by a quarter of a second or so..(who cares specifics)
- you can't stall it on a hill because you have no real feeling in your left leg
- You can eat while driving, or talk on cellphone while driving, no problem
- Your wife/girlfriend/sister/friend can easily drive it when they neeeed to borrow your car.
- The shifter locks into place if the ignition isn't on, so your friends can't release the ebrake and put the car in neutral and roll it somewhere as a prank
- doesn't get in the way when macking on your ladies

So, you can see.. manuals have better advantages. The automatics are better for the flaming homos who care more about other **** than driving
Old 01-17-2006, 09:35 PM

So I would have to pony up for a SS if I wanted power (than the lessers) with an automatic? That's just dumb. With today's modern automatics, you can't shift faster than they can, so what the hell is the point? I know some on here will say that it connects you more to the car, etc. . . however, living in a big city with crappy traffic and not feeling like getting a calf workout everyday to and from work, why should I have to pony up $4k more for the whole package, as opposed to the normal $1k or so for an auto?

WERM was trying to make the same point i was.

we're not talking about $4K more for this one or that one. the whole point is trying to get the designations back to where they started.

Z/28- street going road course car

SS- street going drag car
Old 01-17-2006, 09:42 PM

Somebody's a little biased.

Auto V Manual
I'd rather have auto, I like to bracket race a lot and manuals usually don't last that long in elims. Fantastic drivers not included there.

Z/28 V SS

I am a Z fan due to there always being one. (Except maybe 67 or 68. Probably wrong there.) I think the Z should be the dominant street car. SS= Super Sport. Let that be an all around race competitor.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:50 PM

Turbo- that is a great and well thought-out post, and I agree with you. But... z28 is Camaro and only Camaro- Id be surprised if that badge were given to a z06 caliber car- I think it will stay more pedestrian- But tell me again why there is so much argument about this? 3 months ago people would have been happy if it was called a "type R"- just as long as Camaro was back!

I can be happy with a performance SS or Z28- either way, Im good.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:54 PM

Manual vs Auto.. it depends what car it is. Sports car, then manual. Luxury car, then automatic.

SS needs to be top. SS is STILL a z28. It's always been the "BETTER" car. You can't just say screw history and change stuff around just because of an RPO number. Plus like I said before.. if they make the Corvette SS.. and it IS faster than the Z06.. then there's no way in bloody hell the Camaro Z28 could be faster than the SS.

You have to stick to the order and nametag. You can't throw them on any car.. it has to make sense for every model.

And as far as the street / strip. just no. The SS should have better options I guess.. Everybody loves handling as much as power, these days. A pure "drag" model wouldn't work these days. It'd have to handle well.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 PM

I want to see the z28 car be top, but it has nothing to do with the past of the car, although I am fully aware of the history regarding the nameplate. It just seems to me that in today's particular automotive climate, there are SSs for everything (because there are.) Not really a bad thing, but shouldn't the Camaro stand out from the Chevy brand as something different? I am not saying it should not turn its back to the Chevy brand name, because I don't feel that way at all. It just seems that both the Camaro and the Corvette have evolved their own personalities through their many years of exitstence, and althought both are still Chevy's, both have grown their own identities, and can stand on their own to some degree. The z28 is the Camaro's own independent badge, and is unique ownly to it. Much in the same regard as z06 is the Corvette. I would much rather see a top performance Camaro wear a z28 badge, than be washed away in a sea of SS cars.

Truth be told, I don't even think there should be an SS Camaro. We should see RS, z28, and zl1. This seems to be extremely unlikely however, so I would much prefer to see the z28 over the inevitable SS.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 PM

The base car has been available for every single model year. Therefore it should be top car.

Base
RS
SS

Then Z28 as a special edition car that falls between RS and SS in horsepower and interior content, but is more balanced and would be the fastest around the road courses.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by saroyan689
But tell me again why there is so much argument about this?

LONG, LONG AGO...

IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY.....

think Mustang vs. Camaro. ok, now change the names to SS vs. Z/28 but keep all the aspects that make it a fight. that's it.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 PM

It's not about which is "better." It's about the experience. If you are buying the "driver's" model, you'd definately want to be the most connected to the action.

It's the same reason some people buy speed boats and other people buy sailboats. Some people just want to go fast and others want the "full experience". Think about it like this: SS = Speedboat Z/28 = sailboat Z/28 with automatic = sailboat with no sail and an outboard.

PS: I live in Jersey, and I drive manuals as much as possible.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:46 PM

My driver door sticker says Z28. My fender says SS. Im happy either way.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:47 PM

At the end of the day, the manual is going to put more power down to the wheels, as well as get better gas mileage.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
that makes no sense. the dry sump NA motor would be better suited for cornering. A supercharged Gen4 motor will have a higher center of gravity.

For the drag racers, it's way too easy to swap pullies
Very good point ..... I didn't even think about that before! You're right, supercharged would be unnecessary weight over the front ... put the blower on the straight line car .

So then are we saying an LS7-like engine in the Z28, and the 6.2L with a blower in the SS?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
So then are we saying an LS7-like engine in the Z28, and the 6.2L with a blower in the SS?
That isn't a likely scenario. I think it would be awesome if GM did something like this though. It would be a solution that actually keeps in line with both of the nameplates.

Quick Reply: Z/28 camp.....SS camp.....GET IN HERE!!!!!!!