2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What concerns YOU more on the Camaro?
How much it weighs.
35.20%
How much it costs.
64.80%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

What concerns you more? Cost or weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Gotta start somewhere . And every little bit helps, right?!
I think that's the best possible attitude we (and GM) can take towards the weight issue. Every chance we get to shave an ounce off the car, take it. Before you know it, 100 pounds will be gone.

Of course, with 100 pounds off, my guess is it would still be heavier than a 4th gen, and what would really make me happy would be a bit lighter than a 4th gen.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by diarmadhi
Charlie, your question was and I quote " how can one substantially change weight" and I answered you. Whether the results of the weight loss is worth the is gain is entirely individual, as well what direction the weight loss is in (what components etc..).
What I'm trying to say - and you sort of proved my point - is that you can't take a grossly overweight vehicle and lighten it substantially, without cost or without altering it's useability. If the porkiness is 'baked in', as it is with Zeta, you are just plain stuck.

I suspect that even if you used all of the weight saving strategies which you outlined, even the most radical ones, you'd still be left with the heaviest Camaro in history - just a lighter one than the one you started with.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
What I'm trying to say - and you sort of proved my point - is that you can't take a grossly overweight vehicle and lighten it substantially, without cost or without altering it's useability. If the porkiness is 'baked in', as it is with Zeta, you are just plain stuck.

I suspect that even if you used all of the weight saving strategies which you outlined, even the most radical ones, you'd still be left with the heaviest Camaro in history - just a lighter one than the one you started with.
I agree completely, the difference between you and me (I THINK, and I may be wrong here). Is that I want a sporty, reliable, consumer friendly, affordable coupe, while your side want an all out performance coupe monster that is refined into a streetable machine.

The problem is cost and as deltu pointed out, we don't know how much it would cost only that GM took the view that using a heavier starting base was more cost efficient than re-engineering an entire new platform.

I agree it would be better if they could lower the weight from more than a performance stand point. But I'm also intelligent enough to know that to do so would either raise the cost of the vehicle beyond the current price target, OR take entirely to long to develop and not be profitable enough.

PS: I still think your over exagerating by saying "Grossly overwieght". Look at its competition and don't use the mustang as an example it was built before SEVERAL safety standards and features where included and I PROMISE you that the 2011 refresh will be quite a bit heavier than it currently is unless it DRASTCALLY shrinks in size.

Last edited by diarmadhi; 06-10-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: darn spelling
Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 PM

You can affect price quite a bit, by waiting a year and buying a low-mileage used model. Not so much to do about weight, unless you gut the interior which is not a viable option, at least for me.

I will certainly drive the car before making any decisions but if an LS3 model comes in at the rumored 3900 pounds then this is not the slam-dunk purchase I originally expected. At that weight I have a hard time believing it will have the type of crisp handling I am looking for but I could be proven wrong and certainly hope I am.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dest98
You can affect price quite a bit, by waiting a year and buying a low-mileage used model. Not so much to do about weight, unless you gut the interior which is not a viable option, at least for me.
If price mattered enough for me to go into a used car purchase id rather have a mustang gt at HALF the price of a new camaro. Upgrade the suspension/brakes/wheels&tires/all the other goodies, add a whipple 3.4L and STILL be less than a slightly used camaro(less weight to ).

But a used car purchase is not an option.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I agree completely, the difference between you and me (I THINK, and I may be wrong here). Is that I want a sporty, reliable, consumer friendly, affordable coupe, while your side want an all out performance coupe monster that is refined into a streetable machine.
I don't think your characterization of Charlie's "side" is accurate at all.

I think that what Charlie wants is a lightweight, tossable 2+2 with a V8 and rear wheel drive. He wants it to be powerful, efficient, and fun to drive. He doesn't want it to be a monster. In fact, he's come right out and said he'd prefer a naturally aspirated engine to a supercharged one in the Z28 (which is essentially sacrificing power for in favor of keeping weight down). I certainly can't argue with any of that.

I PROMISE you that the 2011 refresh will be quite a bit heavier than it currently is unless it DRASTCALLY shrinks in size.
IIRC, Ford has said that the next Mustang will be quite a bit lighter than the current one. I don't know if it's getting smaller in order to accomplish that, but I wouldn't go assuming that the 2011 Mustang is going to be a porker.

Originally Posted by Dest98
I will certainly drive the car before making any decisions but if an LS3 model comes in at the rumored 3900 pounds then this is not the slam-dunk purchase I originally expected. At that weight I have a hard time believing it will have the type of crisp handling I am looking for but I could be proven wrong and certainly hope I am.
FWIW... I drove a G8 V6 recently, and if the Camaro handles anything like that, I'll be pretty happy.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I don't think your characterization of Charlie's "side" is accurate at all.

I think that what Charlie wants is a lightweight, tossable 2+2 with a V8 and rear wheel drive. He wants it to be powerful, efficient, and fun to drive. He doesn't want it to be a monster. In fact, he's come right out and said he'd prefer a naturally aspirated engine to a supercharged one in the Z28 (which is essentially sacrificing power for in favor of keeping weight down). I certainly can't argue with any of that.

Ok then I guess I was wrong (like I sort of guessed). But there is a premium price tag associated with that type of car just due to the limited market it attracts and the materials needed. The camaro can't limit itself to that market(by price not by want) to be a success.

IIRC, Ford has said that the next Mustang will be quite a bit lighter than the current one. I don't know if it's getting smaller in order to accomplish that, but I wouldn't go assuming that the 2011 Mustang is going to be a porker.

GM called jenny craig too didn't they.. yet here we are cussing and discussing
Who knows maybe we will all be surprised and the V6 will blow our socks off with both power and weight

I still stand that the camaro will be the best in its class regardless of its downfalls.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:22 PM

I'd hope the thing comes in around GTO weight. Weight is more of a concern unless the car starts pushing 45-50k to keep the weight down.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Cost, I can change the weight, I can't change the price beyond GM supplier.
I don't know how much weight you're really gonna get out of a modern car. I don't worry too much about price , i think i've got a fair idea where it is. and i doubt ill get any weight out of it.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM

Outrageous cost could kill it. But heavy curb weight would not kill it. Camaros are by definition, value-oriented 2+2 RWD coupes... the public understands that and also the long march automotive curb weights have been taking in recent decades.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mjolnir

Since it's the necessity to share a platform that creates this car's weight, and since we wouldn't have any Camaro to argue about without platform sharing, I'd like to ask that those of you whining about weight simply be quiet and wait until production versions hit the showroom.
The sad, sad, irony here, is that GM dictated that Camaro share an architecture with fullsized sedans in order to spread cost over several hundred thousand cars per year. But those sedans were cancelled, mainly because their heft would have adversly affected GM's CAFE numbers and consumer acceptance.

When all is said and done, Camaro essentially comes in, just as heavy as those cancelled sedans, with no other product to share costs with. Okay, maybe the DTS replacement might happen on Zeta, but that's it.

The result: Camaro is left holding about a quarter ton of excess baggage because it was yoked to a dead/dying large sedan architecture - a large sedan architecture, now with no sedans.

The money spent on Zeta, could have given Camaro it very own ponycar appropriate architecture. In fact, they might have even spun off a 'sensible for the times', fun-to-drive sedan or two from that. Hmmm. Something to think about.

I seriously doubt at this particular point in time, if a Zeta based Camaro is even all that economical to build for GM. Certainly, nowhere near the economies of scale projected for it. So, although GM no longer has the cost advantages of platform-sharing for Camaro, it does end up carrying the burden of all that weight as it's legacy.

Last edited by Z284ever; 06-11-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
A few extra pounds? Sure. But the amount of weight that would make Charlie happy? No chance.
Hey, forget about me jg. I'm just some schmoe on the internet who would have bought a Camaro or two. No big loss to GM on that front, (although I have sort of noticed that what I buy, seems to influence buying decisions of those around me, ).

The larger concern though, is how viable a 2+ ton, ...ermm.....'ponycar' is in our current environment? And don't think for a minute that GM isn't thinking/concerning/talking about it. They are.

The weight that would have made me happy, would have made lots of people happy. Lemme see...there's me, there's the Camaro Team, there's the GM Board of Directors, there's the enthusiast community at large, there's the workers at Oshawa, there's Bob Cosby, there's "Jenny the receptionist", ( and everyone like her, looking for a sporty fuel sipping car), hell, I betcha even you jg.

The crappiest part about this whole deal is, that I really got the feeling that the 'Camaro Team' really wanted to bring out the best Camaro ever. It's too bad that Zeta couldn't lose the weight.

Last edited by Z284ever; 06-11-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mjolnir
I am concerned about fuel economy.

However, I realize that weight is only one component of the number I'm concerned about so I don't spend hours agonizing over something no amount of internet chatter will change.
Neither do I. Nor do I believe anybody else does either. But that doesn't mean that when the topic comes out, I won't express my opinion. Even if you don't care for it.

I'll wait and see what it's EPA rated and then complain. Or not.
Good for you. I don't think your decision should be considered our decision though.

There is no chance that talking about it now will change the weight.
Absolutely positively correct. And in fact, I doubt it would have EVER had any chance of changing it, even though this came up a long, long time ago.

And? Shall we only talk about things we like, and ignore things we don't?

As soon as the decision that made this car possible was made- the decision to modify an existing platform- and that decision was modified by selecting a target price point the Camaro's weight was "determined".
Sounds like a reasonable summation of the likely events that will culminate with the Camaro becoming what it will become.

Maybe, if you'd kicked hard and screamed two years ago, GM might have decided to drop a couple of pounds from the base chassis. Unlikely, but it's possible.
Some did (do a search). Didn't matter.

At this point, when focus groups are looking at near-production cars, GM isn't going to go back to the drawing boards and redesign the window regulators to save 5 pounds.
Obvious.

No matter how much you kick and scream about it, the base Camaro is never going to recieve a purpose built light-weight chassis and parts. That means that your time would be better spent discussing something that can change- gear ratios, options packages, drivetrain selections, etc.
Why are you trying to tell me (us?) what we should and should not talk about? Can we change option packages? Can we change the drivetrain lineup? And again, should we ignore what we don't like (cause we can't change it) and only talk about what we do like (can't change that either....guess that's a good thing)?

What you ask for is your personal nirvanna.

No matter what you say on cz28.com GM is not going to spend millions of dollars to lighten the chassis of a mass produced product so you can get an extra .2 out of it at Lime Rock.
Correct.

I know what dictates that.

I also know that GM is not going to price the Camaro out of its target market or spend capital to lighten a chassis to satisfy >10% of it's market.
I think you mean't less than 10% (< vice >), but I agree. We're just out of luck on this one.

As it sits the new Camaro will be extremely competitive with any coupe in it's price range.
Curious.....what other coupes are in its price range? What will the price range be for a 2010 V8 Camaro?

Internet rantings demanding they spend millions of dollars modifying an existing platform so you can get a little extra speed or one more MPG are pointless.
So are internet ramblings whining about said ramblings, but I digress.

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Outrageous cost could kill it. But heavy curb weight would not kill it. Camaros are by definition, value-oriented 2+2 RWD coupes... the public understands that and also the long march automotive curb weights have been taking in recent decades.
The "public" in general don't have a clue what it does or does not weigh. This may be Camaro's saving grace, and certainly to the average buyer (of which the majority here would be included), cost is far more an issue than the curb weight.

Bob
Old 06-11-2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
The sad, sad, irony here, is that GM dictated that Camaro share an architecture with fullsized sedans in order to spread cost over several hundred thousand cars per year. But those sedans were cancelled, mainly because their heft would have adversly affected GM's CAFE numbers and consumer acceptance.

When all is said and done, Camaro essentially comes in, just as heavy as those cancelled sedans, with no other product to share costs with. Okay, maybe the DTS replacement might happen on Zeta, but that's it.

The result: Camaro is left holding about a quarter ton of excess baggage because it was yoked to a dead/dying large sedan architecture - a large sedan architecture, now with no sedans.

The money spent on Zeta, could have given Camaro it very own ponycar appropriate architecture. In fact, they might have even spun off a 'sensible for the times', fun-to-drive sedan or two from that. Hmmm. Something to think about.

I seriously doubt at this particular point in time, if a Zeta based Camaro is even all that economical to build for GM. Certainly, nowhere near the economies of scale projected for it. So, although GM no longer has the cost advantages of platform-sharing for Camaro, it does end up carrying the burden of all that weight as it's legacy.
You act as if Camaro had its own dedicated platform it would be a strong buisness case. The amount of dedicated platforms are already out of hand. Y body Kappa and a dedicated F body would be 3. without those zeta sedans , Ute and GMC, I dont think camaro gets off the paper barring a sigma version. Then were back to square one. Were lucky zeta wasnt killed earlier
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Things that make you go DUH. And guess what one of the primarily metrics is that will go a LONG ways towards determing fuel economy, acceleration, handling, and etc?

Need two guesses?
We don't need to guess about anything. The LS3 SS test mule has run 12.7 @113. Damned good enuff for any gearhead. MPG, handling... go buy a V6 or a Miata.

Half the people who picked weight have hedged by saying they believe Chevy will already deliver an affordable car. That is not what the poll is asking.

What the poll is really asking is whether you would take a 3600lb $35K V8 Camaro or a 3900lb $30K V8 Camaro. Make that poll and the results will 80-20 PRICE.

Quick Reply: What concerns you more? Cost or weight?