2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

We need a cool car movie featuring the new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:41 AM

Re: We need a cool car movie featuring the new Camaro

It doesn't really need to be a car focused film. What's important is aligning the car with a "cool" actor. The actor makes the car a supporting cast member, just as important as his love interest or enemy. Look at all the films that we remember cars from, not all of them were car or chase films. There are all cool actors, people we see as heroes, McQueen, Bond, etc.
There is also the idea of product placement in films and how a connection is there. For example the Steve McQueen concept which I did a paper on a few years back. Steve McQueen to many is the coolest of the cool. People, mostly men admire and in a way want to be Steve McQueen so therefore try to find a connection. They can't have his acting skills, looks, money but they can have his car.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Supergrobo82
It doesn't really need to be a car focused film. What's important is aligning the car with a "cool" actor. ... Steve McQueen ... They can't have his acting skills, looks, money but they can have his car.

That is an excellent point and probably the best example for a cool guy associated with a cool car. I remember when I was playing outside in our neighborhood and the boys would fight over who was going to be Steve McQueen (yes, it was the early 70's). Being one of only two girls in our neighborhood group of friends, we didn't have a cool woman to pretend to be so we were always the double agent or the victim (I digress).

The question now needs to be modified to discuss the actor/actress who could represent the next Camaro. Keep in mind they have to be able to appeal to a wide range of people and shake the stereotypes of the past.

For a female, for some reason Halle Berry comes to mind, although I'm sure there are many who could carry this responsibility.
As far as a male, no one immediately stands out, so I hope others have some good ideas....(definitely NOT Brad Pitt).
Old 01-27-2006, 01:36 PM

OK im probably gonna be shot for this, but come on guys anyone remember
Mad Max lol think about it.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:48 PM

I dont know if anyone noticed bad boys II where they comendered the CTS and go he definately needs to buy one of these. Also there is a chase scene where all of the bad guys happen to be driving GM muscle cars. 1st gen Firebird, 70 or so nova, I think there was another chevelle or something. All were pristeen being chased by Will Smith in the Ferrari.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:11 PM

I would really need to "hand pick" an actor worthy of such a task for Camaro. The problem is, that most of these left coast, Hollywood elitist, 'actors'...are far below my contempt. Most of them have had their miniscule little brains pre-programmed to spew mindless, anti-American pablum, all over the world, (maybe the French or Iranians can use them in a car flick), and generally, in no way, shape, or form represent my midwestern values.

For many of them, I'd rather pi$$ on their heads ,before I'd want to see them drive a Camaro in a movie.

Hmmm...maybe Russell Crowe would be good though.

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-27-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:31 PM

hmm... what about Jason Statham from Transporter?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005458/

he was the driver in Italian Job (i'm more impressed with the Aston Martin than the Mini )
Old 01-27-2006, 05:23 PM

that jason dude is nuts. that movie had good coreography, and the opening drive sequences were cool. but he'd only be close, the brit accent would have to go.

how about jet li?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:33 PM

I remember Mad Max and it's a good example. I'll tell ya if you have surround sound, the part to turn up is when he's about to go after the knightrider and is ford has that sweet rumble, probably the 2nd time in my life I've apreciated a ford.
I'm a big fan of Jason Statham and he has some of that coolness about him but so does Clive Owen who probably made many people wanna drive BMW's after that great set of short films
Old 01-28-2006, 08:18 AM

i used to get confused between the two.

i smell a jason vs. clive.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:17 AM

Anyone remember Ronin with DeNiro?

some really good car chases that made me want to know what an S4 was before it was even imported to the US.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by HTWLSS
That is an excellent point and probably the best example for a cool guy associated with a cool car. I remember when I was playing outside in our neighborhood and the boys would fight over who was going to be Steve McQueen (yes, it was the early 70's). Being one of only two girls in our neighborhood group of friends, we didn't have a cool woman to pretend to be so we were always the double agent or the victim (I digress).

The question now needs to be modified to discuss the actor/actress who could represent the next Camaro. Keep in mind they have to be able to appeal to a wide range of people and shake the stereotypes of the past.

For a female, for some reason Halle Berry comes to mind, although I'm sure there are many who could carry this responsibility.
As far as a male, no one immediately stands out, so I hope others have some good ideas....(definitely NOT Brad Pitt).
Angelina Jolie type Gone in 60 Seconds or better yet Charlize Theron from Italian job. Both hot women that could drive! Jason Statham was in that movie as well. It was basically a Mini commercial but it was a great movie.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 PM

A female driver (Angelina Jolie for example, as mentioned earlier) is the BEST idea.

Guys will want the car because it's hot and she's hot.

Girls will finally want the car because it will now be a sign of women empowerment.

Definetly needs to be like Bullit or Gone in 60 Seconds though. By that I mean movies that feature a car but are not ABOUT the car neccessarily.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I would really need to "hand pick" an actor worthy of such a task for Camaro. The problem is, that most of these left coast, Hollywood elitist, 'actors'...are far below my contempt. Most of them have had their miniscule little brains pre-programmed to spew mindless, anti-American pablum, all over the world, (maybe the French or Iranians can use them in a car flick), and generally, in no way, shape, or form represent my midwestern values.

For many of them, I'd rather pi$$ on their heads ,before I'd want to see them drive a Camaro in a movie.
Amen, I've thought of this as well.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 AM

I"m almost astonished that 'Back to the Future' has not been mentioned yet. I don't mean as a remake idea, but as a general path to follow. The car was one of the most central parts of the story, but there was enough other stuff in it to keep it from being a 'car movie'. The DeLorean is dead, but will live on forever with this series. So, it definitely needs to be a great movie that just so happens to have a car playing a pivotal role.

I totally agree with the above quite often myself.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 PM

Well, I guess we got it!

Quick Reply: We need a cool car movie featuring the new Camaro