2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

OK...part 2- what special edition Camaros would you like to see.....

Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
There were a bunch of things done in the 60s through the early 70s, an interesting little production sports car (though a non Chevy engine) was the Sunbeam Tiger with a Ford small block V-8, quick little mothers! If I dig far enough back in my magazine archive I'm sure I'll "remember" a few more, the 60s were an interesting time for high performance cars. To keep this on topic within this thread, I'd like to see any of several "editions" mentioned in this thread, certainly Smokey Yunick could be remembered, a Sunoco Z/28 would also be interesting (though I probably wouldn't buy it as I don't want number/word decals like the pace car editions). I do hope they keep a Z/28 model true to the original idea, high performance motor with superb handling.
Clyde
Back in high school, one of my friend's dad had a Sunbeam Tiger. Cool little car. (And I do mean little, that thing was scary fast.)

FWIW I think I was one of the firsts in this thread to recommend a Sunoco tribute Z/28. It would be totally appropriate seeing the influence the 1968 Camaro had on this new Camaro. The only issues I have with a Smokey Yunick Camaro for the most part is that Smokey's trans am experience with a Z/28 was less than stellar. Sure he was the king of experimental Chevy racing parts/engines, but in trans am he pretty much laid an egg.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Back in high school, one of my friend's dad had a Sunbeam Tiger. Cool little car. (And I do mean little, that thing was scary fast.)

FWIW I think I was one of the firsts in this thread to recommend a Sunoco tribute Z/28. It would be totally appropriate seeing the influence the 1968 Camaro had on this new Camaro. The only issues I have with a Smokey Yunick Camaro for the most part is that Smokey's trans am experience with a Z/28 was less than stellar. Sure he was the king of experimental Chevy racing parts/engines, but in trans am he pretty much laid an egg.
I like that Sunoco car ALOT, but would you want Sunoco across your rear 1/4? Just curious how many people would want the gas station decal on their personal car. Im not sure personally

Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
I like that Sunoco car ALOT, but would you want Sunoco across your rear 1/4? Just curious how many people would want the gas station decal on their personal car. Im not sure personally

Actually, the color scheme alone is interesting and unique. That navy blue with the orangey-yellow is quite striking. You could just ditch the Sunoco and use the colors with some racing stripes and numbers.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 AM

You always could make part of your payment with a personel service contract with Sunoco. You also might get better parking at NASCAR races!!

You would not see letters and numbers on the car as it would cot too much to get legal permission to use them. Also GM may have to get permission to use the colors that Penskie used if he hold the rights to this cars image. In this world nothing is free anymore. Same would go for a Smokey and Jim Hall Camaro's. Everyone wants to make a buck today, honnor or not.

Even Saleen got PJ involved to do his Trans Am Mustang. I am sure he made some money on each car.

It might be a better idea since Pratt and Miller may not race GTS any more since they are the only cars in their class. It would be cool for them to race a GT Camaro for Chevy. Then paint the cars to look like the real race cars.

Working with Pratt and Miller would be more like the real car a little retro but a newer image. Besides they win a lot of races and GM can get the rights upfront on this deal since they will be paying for it.

If you get too retro you start to look like those old people dancing at A + W to the oldies bands. Reliving the past is goo to a point but moving into the future is imparitive. Learn from the past but live in the future.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 AM

It would just be that Sunoco blue with the yellow accents. I was thinking of the 1968 version which is the one that Mark Donohue won the trans am championship with. I believe he won 19 races that season. (Sorry, too lazy to look it up.)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM

This morning I had a different idea. What would a Camaro be without great tunes blaring while you're cruising? And what music whould be blaring on that soundsystem? Rock & Roll of course.

So how about a Camaro Rock&Roll Series? Each would come with a tricked out sound system.

You'd have the Deep Purple Special Edition - in deep purple of course.

A Sammy Hagar Red Rocker Special Edition - in rocker red.

An AC/DC Special Edition - which would come in "Back in Black". (Kind of appropriate with this Camaro's ties to Holden.)

Etc.

Each package would include special emblems, etc. Of course you'd probably need some endorsements from geriatric rock stars, but they could probably be bought for a "song" if you donate part of the proceeds to cancer research or something similar.

Can you imagine a commerical promoting them with Sammy Hagar singing "I can't drive 55"?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM

This morning I had a different idea. What would a Camaro be without great tunes blaring while you're cruising? And what music whould be blaring on that soundsystem? Rock & Roll of course.

So how about a Camaro Rock&Roll Series? Each would come with a tricked out sound system.

You'd have the Deep Purple Special Edition - in deep purple of course.

A Sammy Hagar Red Rocker Special Edition - in rocker red.

An AC/DC Special Edition - which would come in "Back in Black". (Kind of appropriate with this Camaro's ties to Holden.)

Etc.

Each package would include special emblems, etc. Of course you'd probably need some endorsements from geriatric rock stars, but they could probably be bought for a "song" if you donate part of the proceeds to cancer research or something similar.

Can you imagine a commerical promoting them with Sammy Hagar singing "I can't drive 55"?
Do we really want geriatric rock stars promoting this car? I'd say the advertising has to skew more towards younger people.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Do we really want geriatric rock stars promoting this car? I'd say the advertising has to skew more towards younger people.
Sorry but younger people won't be buying the higher end versions. It'll be more of the 35-60 crowd.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:19 AM

Sorry but younger people won't be buying the higher end versions. It'll be more of the 35-60 crowd.
Understandable, but I don't think that the Camaro should be taking a page from Cadillac's advertising playbook. The higher end versions set the tone, so to speak, for the rest of the lineup. People would begin to associate the Camaro with older people, which is an image this car doesn't need.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Understandable, but I don't think that the Camaro should be taking a page from Cadillac's advertising playbook. The higher end versions set the tone, so to speak, for the rest of the lineup. People would begin to associate the Camaro with older people, which is an image this car doesn't need.
What is next, age prohibitions to keep those of us 50+ years old from buying new Camaros? Advertising, image, and special editions need to appeal to all age groups, not just one segment. And those of us fifty plus are far more likely to buy a fully optioned Camaro than the kid just out of school.
Clyde
Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Prominent Member

All of these animal names, etc... leave me cold......and would be embarrassed to be driving one.

Nothing wrong with the RS, LT, SS, Z/28 monikers.....and a few special editions to commemorate the historical Camaros.

Give me engine choices, special option packages, wheels, striping and colors........that all....
Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM

It is time to wake up and make this car the desire of all ages and genders. This time Chevy can not afford to exclude any age, sex race, nationality, regional location demographic.

You limit appeal to any group you limit sales. Ford had this figured out or just got lucky with the Mustang. Look who owns them old and young, men and women, wealthy and poor etc. Chevy with the last gen learned the hard way that even though it was a superior and great car it did not appeal to everyone and sales showed it.

This means there will have to be give and take from all groups. None will get things all their way.

I don't have the answer to what special edition GM needs to build but I do know it needs to reach a lot of people and have a wide apeal.

Also GM needs to do better than just falling back on old names and chessey stickers. I know it works to a degree but it is just getting by, GM needs to do better than that as most special sticker editions only have appeal for 6 months on a limited number of cars.

Same with retro. It is a good thing to a point but we don't live in the 60's. Nothing is sadder than a group of 70 year olds dancing to oldies music at a A and W while excluding a new generation from the crusies. They are limiting the future and hurting the car enthusiast hobby future. I may not be a fan of many of the hopped up imports but we need to get todays youth involved early in the hobby or we risk losing them. They may be the ones to pass laws that will restrick your performance cars if they don't care for them.

The same for Chevy as they need to get kids to want a like Chevys early in life and turn away from Mom and Dads Honda or Toyota. Fallng to the same old formulas that lost many buyers no longer work and we can't afford to let that continue. I see the Transformer cross promotion as a landmark event for GM that can and may lead to a good impression for future customers. Just rememger how Hot Wheels and the like effected you likes and dislikes.

Time for GM not to take the easy way out as no risk no gain. With compition the way it is today no gain is a bigger risk.

PS also note how the Monte and Vette pace cars really have little effect anymore. Even if they make some special editions few really go out of their way to buy them like they did in 1969 or 1978.

I even had a local dealer just a few years ago with real Pontiac GP pace cars from Nascar with lights and all still on them and they sat forever unsold even at a discount. These were cars from Darlington, Daytona and the Bud Shoot out. These were the real deal and were used during the races and no one really cared. The Darlington car sold to a coworker of mine at a great discount and few miles.