2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: REPORT: GM says Camaro tranny issue is fixed, won't reveal cause

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: REPORT: GM says Camaro tranny issue is fixed, won't reveal cause

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Recalls, Chevrolet

2010 Chevrolet Camaro - Click above for high-res image gallery

According to The New York Times, General Motors now says that a problem which stopped production of one of its hottest models has been fixed. As we reported first last week, a number of 2010 Camaro SS owners were experiencing failures related to the Tremec six-speed manual gearboxes in their new muscle cars. And while company officials are declining to reveal what the actual cause of the defect was, what we do understand is that something untoward was going on with the output shaft of these vehicles. The defect manifested itself in the form of a debilitating mechanical failure when the affected vehicles were launched aggressively with the engine turning 5,000 rpm or more.

It appears that the model's production hold has been lifted, although some vehicles have been held back for inspection, just to make sure. GM's Adam Denison reports that about a dozen owners had problems, and hopefully the problem with remain isolated, with no further cases coming out of the woodwork. In the meantime, GM has apparently decided that no recall action is warranted.

[Source: The New York Times]REPORT: GM says Camaro tranny issue is fixed, won't reveal cause originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 AM

is there going to be a recall for something?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
The article says no recall.

That's crazy!! How many more ticking timebombs are out there?
All the Camaro owners are going to be afraid to launch their cars aggressively.

The fix wouldn't be easy (removal of trans & replacement of output shaft), but I think it would be the right thing to do.
(Actually, they'd probably just replace the whole gearbox.)

It couldn't be an inspection thing. There's probably nothing to see by eye.
Short of metallugical testing, there's really no way to tell if an output shaft is bad. So they'd need to be replaced with known good shafts.

GM better hope this issue is VERY isolated.

Last edited by HuJass; 07-21-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
In the meantime, GM has apparently decided that no recall action is warranted.
They must figure that the problem was found quick enough.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM

It might be a very limited batch of cars affected.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 PM

rather than have a recall and spend however much money fixing any past cars, they want to wait until they break down ,then fix them. cheap way of doing it but not the smartest way. i still have my JD Power and ssoc. survey at home i need to fill out. maybe ill hold on to it to see if i have any issues.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by NewsBot
The defect manifested itself in the form of a debilitating mechanical failure when the affected vehicles were launched aggressively with the engine turning 5,000 rpm or more.
I can see them using this to not honor warranty claims, claiming that the failures were due to aggressive launches...

I woulda thought this problem would have came out during pre-production testing?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
I can see them using this to not honor warranty claims, claiming that the failures were due to aggressive launches...

I woulda thought this problem would have came out during pre-production testing?
It probably wasn't a design problem. It's a manufacturing issue. Tremec got a run of bad shafts.
Don't know if it was their fault or a supplier's as we don't know how much Tremec does in-house.

And it will probably be cheaper for GM to repair the broken cars as they come in rather than a mass replacement of transmissions, many of which are probably OK. This tactic won't do much to build good will and confidence towards GM, however.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Come on guys. Recall? They only had a dozen failures. To me that didn't even warrant a shut down. Most of the problems were probably operator error anyway.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by lcmc
Come on guys. Recall? They only had a dozen failures. To me that didn't even warrant a shut down. Most of the problems were probably operator error anyway.
Recall?? Well, yeah!
Just because there were only a dozen or so failures (that we know about), that doesn't mean there aren't anymore. How do we know there aren't 500-1000 more potential failures out there waiting to break? We don't. That's exactly why recalls are performed.

And it's not operator error, either. Fbodfather said so himself.

The issue is that a few transmissions may have shafts that were not properly treated by the supplier -- most are fine - -we are working with the supplier to determine the population of cars that may have the isssue.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

no one denied anything.

You don't make a statement until you know all of the facts.

We will contact every customer that has a Camaro with the issue......most cars do not.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
no one denied anything.

You don't make a statement until you know all of the facts.

We will contact every customer that has a Camaro with the issue......most cars do not.

If that's how the competition does it, I say Chevrolet should start doing the silent treatment as well.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 PM

It sounds to me like GM is in the process of determining which lot (or date grouping) of transmissions have output shafts from the suspect lot/date grouping... or they already have done so. Automotive manufacturers have many ways to track when parts were built to narrow a defect down to a relatively small population of parts. They do this to avoid massive recalls when a very short-term manufacturing defect like this occurs. Thanks for the info Fbodfather.

HuJass, just because they didn't recall every vehicle and hold a press conference to announce it to the world doesn't mean they aren't addressing the problem properly.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR

HuJass, just because they didn't recall every vehicle and hold a press conference to announce it to the world doesn't mean they aren't addressing the problem properly.
I never said they weren't addressing the problem properly.
I was trying to get across that they are walking a very fine line with this issue.
Do a recall and spend TONS of money on what could be a very isolated problem, or just fix them quietly as they come in and risk a public lashing for not recalling them.
I don't envy GM in this situation. They're either damned if they do or damned if they don't.

I hope it's a very isolated problem, for GM's sake.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Who the F launches at 5000+ RPM??? Those 12 idiots deserved it.

Quick Reply: NEWS: REPORT: GM says Camaro tranny issue is fixed, won't reveal cause