2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My God... the most disturbing thing about this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Admin Emeritus

Here's the current word on this:

Wait until all the cards are played. In less than two weeks, [we] will learn a lot more.
Let's all take a deep breath (and hold it for a couple of weeks if you can), I don't think the sky is falling quite yet.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM

The Z/28 (as currently envisioned) didn't interest me any more than the GT500 (as currently produced) so that particular model issue isn't a big deal to me. However, what is a big deal is the potential that they might already be cutting into what they had planned to produce. That sucks. If true.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 PM

Can Scott talk about any of this right now?
And if he can, will he?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM

I wouldn't be one bit surprised, if this turns out to be true.

Although this Z/28 will not be what I had hoped it would be - it is virtually impossible for me to ignore a call to arms to defend it.

I'm on it.....
Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by HuJass
Can Scott talk about any of this right now?
And if he can, will he?
Doubtful. Right now, the story ends with what I just posted above.

Speaking of Scott...
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=618892
Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Jason,
Can you elaborate on the "cards are played" quote?
Who is it attributed to?
What do they really mean?
What cards need to be played?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by HuJass
Jason,
Can you elaborate on the "cards are played" quote?
Who is it attributed to?
What do they really mean?
What cards need to be played?
Usually when someone says "wait until the cards are played" means to wait until all the information comes together. You don't bet on a hand that hasn't even been dealt. Other than that, sorry, but I don't know any more than the words I posted. Again, the story ends right here for now.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 PM

The sky won't fall.
Even if there is no more Z28, the aftermarket will step in and make it so. It just means you'll have to write a second check, is all.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Did it? As I recall one reason the Camaro was killed because of poor sales. Incidentally, the 4th generation was the only one where V6 production out numbered V8s.

That's not to say that a 5th gen V6 Camaro that performs (or exceeds) at levels once reserved for the base V8 couldn't be a winner. Its just that the general assumption that V6s need to outsell V8s has proven to be a bad sales model in the past.
Here are the mustang sales numbers for 2005 (first year I found on Google search).

Total Mustangs produced were 160,412 for 2005.

By Model: GT = 60,792 , V6 = 99,620
Do you think the Mustang would be around if they only sold V8's? The non-V8 sales are carrying the Mustang. That is what they are trying to do with the Camaro too. I am just saying don't be offended when every Camaro made isn't targetted at the tire smoking 400 hp crowd.

-Geoff
Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
The Z/28 (as currently envisioned) didn't interest me any more than the GT500 (as currently produced) so that particular model issue isn't a big deal to me. However, what is a big deal is the potential that they might already be cutting into what they had planned to produce. That sucks. If true.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Pretty much took the words from out of my post. Don't care for the pigly Z28 or GT500 but at the same time I wouldn't want to see them get cut either.

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
Here are the mustang sales numbers for 2005 (first year I found on Google search).

Do you think the Mustang would be around if they only sold V8's? The non-V8 sales are carrying the Mustang. That is what they are trying to do with the Camaro too. I am just saying don't be offended when every Camaro made isn't targetted at the tire smoking 400 hp crowd.

-Geoff
I already shot this down in another thread. While the V6 is defintely important it isn't the end all be all. In fact at the end of the day I'd say the V8 is still the most important of the line-up. Posers/people buy the V6 because of the image it gets from V8. Without that V8 Mustang image the V6 is just another car in the pack. A pretty poor performing car for that matter.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...&postcount=180

Last edited by TCMcQueen; 07-08-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by ws6transam
The sky won't fall.
Even if there is no more Z28, the aftermarket will step in and make it so. It just means you'll have to write a second check, is all.
I'm not worried about the Z28 being axed. I probably wouldn't have bought that model anyways. If it looks like the TF2 Bumblebee, I won't like it's looks. And if it's priced like a Shelby, I wouldn't be able to afford it anyways.

I'm more concerned about the whole Camaro program in general. If they don't hit their numbers, the car is history. I'm not ready to buy right now. My timeframe was 2011-2013.

I'm afraid if they cancel it, I'll never own one.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by TCMcQueen
Pretty much took the words from out of my post. Don't care for the pigly Z28 or GT500 but at the same time I wouldn't want to see them get cut either.
"Pigly"? Is the car out yet and have the numbers shown some lack of prowess or value? Did I miss the roadtest reviews?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 PM

Performance cars will always be around in one way or the other. We the consumers demand it. Somebody will make them....I just wish a Camaro could always be included.

Current Gas prices being what they are, of course the manufacturers are going to freak out at anything un-green. Apparently this untrue perception includes Camaro even at the highest ranks of GM.

What frustrates me is that the attitude taken by GM puts the Camaro on the chopping block like the same castaway it was treated as during the 90's. If it weren't for the lack of foresight and catering to the asinine demands of an immature market (trucks & SUVs as daily drivers)...GM wouldn't be in this mess.

I'm sure the internal perception was that it would take a perfect storm of Gas prices, economic woes, and political posturing to put GM in this sort of position.....

Guess what. That storm has arrived.

It seems we just have to wait it out. There are many potential solutions our particular Camaro problem, but the true issues run much deeper.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 PM

BS.. If someone really hates the Camaro and works for GM, he deserves to be taken out of the Company. I mean, this car is so highly anticipated and loved, I would really be upset if Camaro was taken off the assembly line in the First Year. I say "Keep the Faith" and hopefully the Fbodfather will have some info to keep us cool.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:40 PM

dam hippies... its all their fault

Quick Reply: My God... the most disturbing thing about this...