2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets get real about the weight of the Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 PM

Lets get real about the weight of the Camaro

There has been a whole lot written about the weight of the new Camaro and some guys believe that GM can actually make the Camaro lighter some how. I spent a few minutes to research the weight of cars that are of a similar size to the Camaro. It is important to note that given the safety restrictions and demands of customers for amenities cars these days are simply more heavy.

Here is the list:

Camaro SS auto 3913
BMW M3 3565
Nissan GT-R 3900
Dodge Challanger SRT8 4189
Mustang Bullitt 3536
Infiniti G35 3856

I have seen some suggestions for composite body panels, having GM essentially strip all of the equipment out of the car etc. Those suggestions will not get the weight down to where any of us would like and have the car be comercially viable. The car has a nice balance and high power to weight which is all you can hope for these days. Every couple of years the NHTSA adds more safety requirements. For instance this thing has at least 6 airbags. Keep in mind that the Camaro is being built for the mainstream customer not for the guys who want to strip it down to bear bones and take it to the track. For those of us who want to do that we will have to go on our own and make that happen. Personally I want a powerful, comfortable and safe Camaro I can enjoy for years to come so an extra 100 lbs or so spent on AC, ABS, Stability Control, Airbags, Power Seats Etc is fine with me. My guess is I am in the 98 percentiale.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

It's too heavy. Period.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

This subject again?

Originally Posted by blackflag
It's too heavy. Period.
In response to a rather well worded thread, that's not much of contribution beyond the same broken record that 4-5 people like to play. To the small majority that weight means that much to, it can be changed. Read the first post.

Otherwise, consider this...

Originally Posted by JasonD
While physics, government regulations, and end-user cost limitations will not allow the 2010 Camaro to be an exact continuation of Camaros past, one thing can be safely expected: Pound for pound, and dollar for dollar, the 2010 Camaro will continue to be one of the best (if not the very best) performance values of its kind, just as a Camaro should.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by blackflag
It's too heavy. Period.
So your suggestion to reduce weight, meet safety requirements, keep it affordable and a viable commercial project is??? I really would love to hear your suggestions. What should the weight be?

My point is it weighs about what the other cars it's size do, of course I did not mention that it has far more HP than some of the cars used in the comparison. I did the research to show these facts.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 PM

Get real??? I thought we were suppose to get a grip?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Get real??? I thought we were suppose to get a grip?
What do you mean? I guess I missed something.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
composite body panels.
All composite body panels would reduce vehicle weight by 150 pounds.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
What do you mean? I guess I missed something.
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=622231
Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by gtjeff
All composite body panels would reduce vehicle weight by 150 pounds.
At what cost ?? That is the point. Sure you can drop some weight but then the car won't be competitively priced. So you can have a "heavy" Camaro or none at all. The carbon fiber roof of the M3 saved exactly 12 lbs. The weight difference between the 4 door M3 without the carbon roof and the two door with is 22lbs.

By the 150lbs would not make anyone on this site say the car was light enough would it?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Plastic isn't the answer --- it can actually add weight -- and further, the expense to tool is higher. ( the savings comes in changing the tool for mid-cycle enhancements) --further, you can't pull in the body fits because SMC expands and contracts......... The Corvette uses them because it has a robust 'backbone' in the center tunnel. Believe me -- we looked at that possibility -- and the costs would put the car at a substantial disadvantage to the Mustang -- and that's simply too great a risk.
From one of the 57,637,645,029,749 other weight threads...
Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Thanks, I did not see that one but it answers that question.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 PM

My point is simply that the Camaro is in the range of the competition. And yes, most people will not make their purchase decision based on the weight of the vehicle. Would I love it to be 500lbs lighter, sure, would it make it a better performer sure. But it aint gonna happen. Comparing the Camaro the the Civic is pretty funny.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Oh and I consider myself part of the 98% of people who look at the overall value and performance of the car versus others in their class as the basis of their decision to buy rather than some arbitrary weight.

Last edited by Pruettfan; 08-03-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 AM

but that still doesnt mean this car isnt dangerously obese. At 3900++ lbs it NEEDS the power that the LS3 makes just to keep up with the LS1 cars. Im sure overrall its gonna be a nice car, but theres no denying that theres a serious compromise of performance with the weight this sled will be dragging around
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 AM

LOL, that is funny coming from the dude in a big block Galaxie 500 'vert

Quick Reply: Lets get real about the weight of the Camaro