CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/)
-   -   For the last time.. it doesn't look like a Mustang ! (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/last-time-doesnt-look-like-mustang-421569/)

dream '94 Z28 01-12-2006 05:03 PM

Re: For the last time.. it doesn't look like a Mustang !

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
[IMG]to what you have now on the streets..and that 350 Z is the retro car of the Datsun 240Z.

Now that's a stretch IMO....

5thgen69camaro 01-12-2006 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I disagree from the standpoint of the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying one is a carbon copy of the other, but I do think that to the average non-enthusiast, they can look as much alike as the new Camaro and Mustang do. Round headlights? Check. Deep set blackout grille? Check. Long hood/short deck? Check. Side scoops? Check.

http://www.coupeturbo.com/includes/i...969_camaro.jpg

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i_st/allford2001.JPG

Talk about a stretch... Yes they both have round headlights, yes The 69 camaro has a blacked out open grill that goes all the way across, and the 69 mustang has a blacked out center grill with enclosed recessed headlights on the sides. BTW off topic 1st gen Camaro has a Frame in front while Mustang is full Unibody.

The 69 Camaro did NOT have side scoops. Im assuming your refering to the Chrome shark gills.

As for the new Mustang and concept Camaro. The concept Camaro got a fast back line of the 4th gen, and flat sides I guess of the 3rd that Mustangs been using lately. Thats it. They are both retro and both have 4 wheels.

A better comparison would be 68 Camaro and 71 Mustang...

RhinoSS 01-12-2006 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Talk about a stretch... Yes they both have round headlights, yes The 69 camaro has a blacked out open grill that goes all the way across, and the 69 mustang has a blacked out center grill with enclosed recessed headlights on the sides.

The 69 Camaro did NOT have side scoops. Im assuming your refering to the Chrome shark gills.

As for the new Mustang and concept Camaro. The concept Camaro got a fast back line of the 4th gen, and flat sides I guess of the 3rd that Mustangs been using lately. Thats it. They are both retro and both have 4 wheels.

As he said... he's talking about non car people. We all see a dramatic difference in these vehicles, but someone driving a ford taurus or chrysler minivan would see that they're both comparable to size, shape, performance, and general features.

I can definitely see both sides of the street... I'm just trying to potentially clear things up.

Caps94ZODG 01-12-2006 06:56 PM

it is??? Here is proof...

"Nissan Z Concept Goes 'Back to Basics' to Recreate the Quintessential Affordable Sports Car

DETROIT, Jan. 5, 1999 -- The Z Concept, Nissan's latest concept car, was unveiled today at the 1999 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The reveal included a walkaround by Jerry Hirshberg, president, Nissan Design International, Inc. (NDI) and video images from the three decades of the Z-car's existence.

The Z Is Back

The Z Concept was a difficult challenge for the designers at NDI. "Our goal in designing the Z Concept was not to merely update a 30-year old design," said Hirshberg, "but to take some of the elements that made the original car special and integrate them into a totally new design. Sort of a fresh riff on a great old tune."

A classic 240Z, owned by an NDI designer, was brought into the studios to be used as a reference point.

A long hood, with sweeping front fenders and characteristic headlight treatment, suggest the lines of the original, but is not copied. "This vehicle is the antithesis of the current 'cab-forward' school of design," said Tom Semple, director of design, NDI. "We want the casual onlooker to know that this is a powerful front-engine, rear-wheel drive vehicle and we think this concept does just that." Unique headlights and a prominent radiator cutout in the front bumper give the Z Concept an aggressive, sporty look.

The front end leads to a two-passenger cabin with wide doors, which are electronically opened. Front and side glass is tinted. The interior is trimmed in cloth and leather, and uses special materials for the backrests.

Around the short-deck rear is a glass hatch with twin gas-struts and wraparound rear taillamps with a unique lens design. The word "Nissan" is recessed the rear bumper cover, a subtle reminder that Nissan is the creator of the last word in performance cars.

The Z Concept is fully operational. It utilizes a balanced and blueprinted 2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine rated at 200 horsepower and 180 ft-lbs of torque. Modifications include a racing profile camshaft, lightweight pistons, 10.7:1 compression ratio, reprogrammed electronic controls and custom dual exhaust. The Z Concept also features a 5-speed manual transmission, lightweight flywheel and lowered independent suspension. Stopping power is provided by racing-style brakes from the Japanese-market Skyline GT-R supercar, while 18-inch alloy wheels mounted with 215/40ZR18 front and 225/40ZR18 rear tires makes sure the Z Concept sticks to the road.

The car was taken from the original drawings to a running vehicle in record time -- just under 12 weeks.

"We are honored to be the design team responsible for the creation of the Z Concept," said Hirshberg. "It's not every day that we get to bring back a legend." "

is it a stretch now? The 350 Z is the retro designed for the Datsun 240Z..

RhinoSS 01-12-2006 07:00 PM

The 350 Z is the retro designed for the Datsun 240Z..

:confused: Those are the last two cars I would have ever connected. I don't think they look anything alike.

Caps94ZODG 01-12-2006 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RhinoSS
As he said... he's talking about non car people. We all see a dramatic difference in these vehicles, but someone driving a ford taurus or chrysler minivan would see that they're both comparable to size, shape, performance, and general features.

I can definitely see both sides of the street... I'm just trying to potentially clear things up.

well that argument can be said about the Z06 Corvette and the Viper, they both look very similar about as much as the Camaro concept and the mustang.....or a Ford F150 and a Chevy silverado..both are trucks??

Caps94ZODG 01-12-2006 07:01 PM

:confused: Those are the last two cars I would have ever connected. I don't think they look anything alike.

strange but true...but you know I do see the similarities through 30 years what these two cars have..

RhinoSS 01-12-2006 07:10 PM

well that argument can be said about the Z06 Corvette and the Viper, they both look very similar about as much as the Camaro concept and the mustang.....or a Ford F150 and a Chevy silverado..both are trucks??

That's the point that's trying to be made. Believe it or not, while going out to lunch, a co-worker mistook the new C6 for a viper less than a month ago.

It's unfortunate, but it's fact.

Caps94ZODG 01-12-2006 07:15 PM

well yes exaclty both the camaro and mustang have to have the same "designs" they are both pony cars...
Like I said before I got to many compliments on my corvette...for my 94 Camaro...its nice of the mt othink the camaro a vette but I finally got tired of it and said no its a camaro, its a muscle car not a sports car. and the few dozen times I said it people were like "ohh really Camaro I thought they stopped making them"..this was like 7-8 years ago..If its the mustangs rival it has to give something compriable to its advisary to win customers to buy it over the other one. the 4th gen is a great example of not doing the right thing..

SNEAKY NEIL 01-12-2006 09:28 PM

If its the mustangs rival it has to give something compriable to its advisary to win customers to buy it over the other one. the 4th gen is a great example of not doing the right thing..

No, the rival has to offer something in the same realm, but different or else why would someone pick one over the other? Now there is room for similar products in the marketplace for say, a mid-size sedan or full size truck but the muscle car market is very small and that could provide some problems.

What the Camaro is attempting to do is beat the Mustang at it's own game and I hate to say it, but that is very risky. It is trying to out Mustang the Mustang. The Camaro might be the better car, but you are going up against that damn name and that is something not to be taken lightly (I'm sure GM isn't). People will continue to buy Mustangs no matter what, I truely believe that. It can be done but it will have to be the clear and obvious choice. I think the best case scenario is that this market turns out to be big enough for all three retro-muscle coupes to exist and thrive.

RhinoSS 01-12-2006 10:34 PM

.....or a Ford F150 and a Chevy silverado..both are trucks??

I don't know about you... but I see a lot of the F250 in the new Tahoe.
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/06/pic/ta..._gallery03.jpg
http://www.americanwholesalersoforla...10210front.jpg

5thgen69camaro 01-12-2006 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
What the Camaro is attempting to do is beat the Mustang at it's own game and I hate to say it, but that is very risky. It is trying to out Mustang the Mustang. The Camaro might be the better car, but you are going up against that damn name and that is something not to be taken lightly (I'm sure GM isn't). People will continue to buy Mustangs no matter what, I truely believe that. It can be done but it will have to be the clear and obvious choice. I think the best case scenario is that this market turns out to be big enough for all three retro-muscle coupes to exist and thrive.

Thats exactly what their trying to do. Mark Ruess said "The retro trend has not gone unnoticed." Youd be hard pressed to get a die hard ford fan whos looking for a 65 Mustang to consider a 67 Camaro and Vice Versa. Same here. The only exception in 0x Camaro would be if one produced retro and the other futuristic. Then you definately have fans jumping ship because they wanted one or the other. Your right about market size though. I do hope its big enough because all 3 are awesome! Give me a reason to go to the track...

91Z28350 01-13-2006 01:06 AM

I don't know about you... but I see a lot of the F250 in the new Tahoe.
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/06/pic/ta..._gallery03.jpg
http://www.americanwholesalersoforla...10210front.jpg

Rhino, sorry man, I don't see it. But then again, I see 3rd gen in the Camaro concept and seems alot of other people don't. I'd take my comment for what it is worth.

turbo96z28 01-13-2006 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Rhino, sorry man, I don't see it. But then again, I see 3rd gen in the Camaro concept and seems alot of other people don't. I'd take my comment for what it is worth.

i could see it a bit.

bulge in the center of the hood, drop in the bumper under the grill. basic headlight shape.

use your imagination a bit :D

91Z28350 01-13-2006 01:21 AM

I do on a daily basis, I imagine myself giving a forced grin if I am relegated to having to own a Z/28 instead of a SS :eek: