2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lack of Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by rpepka
The car is going to the dealer this morning.
I hope that you are not going to tell them you think the car should be faster because you didn't bet your son at a race.

What's wrong with the car?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
The only switching I'm aware of is to Comp mode, but this only affects stability / traction, not shift points and the like.
ok, thank you! For some reason I thought it also involved performanced in with which ever selection you made.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by speeding2fast2c
I hope that you are not going to tell them you think the car should be faster because you didn't bet your son at a race.

What's wrong with the car?
I agree, he will get laughed out of the service department.

What does the speed matter? It is a heavy heavy car! Did you buy it strictly to be the fastest guy in town? If that is the case- you will always be disapointed.

Enjoy your new SS for what it is.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Yeah, I think there is only so much a dealer will do. I know they won't look at the car if your mileage drops. They don't warranty for mileage or guarantee mileage.
I gotta believe if you went in there with 1/4 mile slips that were slower than other Camaros or slower than Chevrolet's claims, they still won't do anything.

Have you taken it to the strip yet? Get some quantifiable data before you conclude there's a problem with the car.

When I first got my C/E, it didn't feel fast to me at all. I coulda swore it was a low 14 second car. When I finally took it to the track and was clicking off 13.40s, I was flabbergasted. The car does not feel that fast.
It feels quite disappointing, to be honest. But the car is fast. The numbers don't lie.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Well took it to the dealer and of course they checked the codes and "everything is working fine" They said I could take it to a dyno and bring the results back.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Once you get it off the dyno, go put it on a scale. Look at both - you'll have your answer.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 AM

Personally, after having worked at dealerships and getting people coming in saying; I'm not getting the same gas mileage as I did when it was new, or I'm not getting the gas mileage that the sticker on the window said when I bought it; complents like these are so annoying! So same would go for those coming in saying; my car doesn't run the same quarter mile time as what they claim.

PEOPLE, these tests are usually best case numbers. What people don't realize are how many things play into the gas mileage you are getting, compared to testing gas mileage on a dyno. Or, all of the things that account for the quarter mile times.

Honestly, being a bigger fan of road course racing, touring sport car racing, rally racing, the types of racing where you actually turn (in both directions) and there is alot more driver skill involved, I kind of get tired of people always talking about being the fastest in a straight line for 1/4 of a mile. I see this Camaro as more of a touring sports car as opposed to a drag racing car! That's just my opinion, I don't care who disagrees with me!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 AM

My understanding was that the competetive mode affects shift points etc.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 AM

They said I could take it to a dyno and bring the results back.
Wow, that's surprising.
Although what are they going to compare your results to?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Personally, after having worked at dealerships and getting people coming in saying; I'm not getting the same gas mileage as I did when it was new, or I'm not getting the gas mileage that the sticker on the window said when I bought it; complents like these are so annoying!

What people don't realize are how many things play into the gas mileage you are getting

Yes, but if you're like me, I keep track of every tank of fuel run thru each of my vehicles to monitor fuel mileage. A significant change most likely would indicate a problem.
The fact that dealerships won't look at that data blows my mind.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Yes, but if you're like me, I keep track of every tank of fuel run thru each of my vehicles to monitor fuel mileage. A significant change most likely would indicate a problem.
Even still, there are so many things that play into it, it is almost impossible to figure out what caused that change, unless there the SES light is on, or you can see that the air filter is incredibly dirty. Here's a list of just a few things that affect gas mileage:

Air filter, tire pressures, driving more city, driving more highway, driving the vehicle hard, how much you sat in traffic, did you run the a/c, did you have a change in elevation from point A to point B, what was the temperature, how many people/cargo did you have in the vehicle, where you driving with the wind or against, windows open or closed, etc and the list can go on.

Sure some of these alone will not change things that much, but a combo of some, or even a few on their own will for sure! Alot of these things can play into when talking about performance as well!

Actually I do keep tabs on the mileage of my 98 camaro, and it suprises me how good of mileage I get compared to the way I drive the vehicle.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Not a bad idea. One thing to consider is fuel. By that, I mean how much ethanol is in the fuel. Ethanol is an emissions plus and a mileage negative.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Well took it to the dealer and of course they checked the codes and "everything is working fine" They said I could take it to a dyno and bring the results back.
Normally I would think this is futile but we all remember the 99 Cobra so who's to say what GM would do if the car isn't making the power. Far fetched I know...

If nothing else than to appease your own curiosity about the power I say get it dyno'd, weighed and then run it at a track. I have a feeling once you did all that you'll find it's probably right in line with what it should be.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:17 PM

Even still, there are so many things that play into it, it is almost impossible to figure out what caused that change, unless there the SES light is on, or you can see that the air filter is incredibly dirty. Here's a list of just a few things that affect gas mileage:

Air filter, tire pressures, driving more city, driving more highway, driving the vehicle hard, how much you sat in traffic, did you run the a/c, did you have a change in elevation from point A to point B, what was the temperature, how many people/cargo did you have in the vehicle, where you driving with the wind or against, windows open or closed, etc and the list can go on.

Sure some of these alone will not change things that much, but a combo of some, or even a few on their own will for sure! Alot of these things can play into when talking about performance as well!

Actually I do keep tabs on the mileage of my 98 camaro, and it suprises me how good of mileage I get compared to the way I drive the vehicle.
I'm not talking about a change in just one tank, or even in the fuel blend switchover times.
I'm talking about long term trends.

If your vehicle has gotten 23 MPG combined for 4 years then all of a sudden it's dropped to 16 MPG for several tanks of gas, something is wrong.

The fact that a dealership won't address that is wrong.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 PM

Super83Z posted dyno numbers for the L99,,, The car made 324 RWHP and 326 RWT. That is less than my stock 2000 SS camaro.

with the added weight in the new camaro, and the IRS, I have no doubt an LS1 Trans AM would pull it.

Some TA's ran 13 flat stock... so I would not be surprised there either...

4 car length in the 1/4 is about 4 tenths.... so we are look at you going from beating him by 4 (in the GTO), to losing by 4 (in the camaro)... tha is an 0.8 second swing...

The big question is: Did you have a factory freak GTO that was running high 12's? My gues is yes if it was beating a TA by 0.4 sec and a 400hp camaro by 0.8 sec.

Quick Reply: Lack of Power