2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

How wide is too wide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:36 PM

How wide is too wide?

Just curious and would like to get the opinions of some of the more in the know and intelligent guys on the site. I really think the width of the concept is one of the big reasons it looks so good and so aggressive. How much do any of you think it will have to be narrowed for production and do you think it can be done without it being too apparent visually. My worry is that the wide stance look will go and that will be a shame. Also personally I love the mild "chopped" look. Do you all think that will make production?
While not a Ford guy, I actually thought the mustang concept was a pretty damn good looking vehicle. It had more of the chopped look and was a heck of a lot more agressive looking. I thought they dumbed it down waaaay too much for production, even though a lot of people have voted with their wallets and evidently disagreed. Anyway, I just wanted some others' thoughts on these, my worries for the production car, and what it may or may not lose in the transition from concept. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:44 PM

Re: How wide is too wide?

I agree the wide stance is awesome on this car. I also agree about the mustang. The concept was watered down a lot in production. I'll be pissed if the Camaro comes out looking like the Malibu or even close.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:04 PM

Consider this: the concept's current width will not fit on a trailer according to my friend. Plus, John Heinricy (I've been told by an insider) has argued for a narrower car (than the conept) for handling reasons.

I think the car should be no more narrow than the third gens and no wider than the forths. The third gens have a slightly more nimble feel to them than my 4th gen, although I believe that can also be somewhat attributed to the overall seating position.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:05 PM

Wide and Low is the way to go.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:24 PM

The concept is apparently how wide is too wide.

But shaving the neccesary inches off really shouldn't effect the look. When you add up all the things that give a car its "look" the actual dimensions can seem kinda immaterial.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D

But shaving the neccesary inches off really shouldn't effect the look. When you add up all the things that give a car its "look" the actual dimensions can seem kinda immaterial.
Agreed. As long as they keep the proportions, some shrinkage is ok
Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D

Agreed. As long as they keep the proportions, some shrinkage is ok
Old 05-02-2006, 05:11 PM

The production version will be slightly taller and skinnier.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:18 PM

Now that Ive seen the car in person twice , and all the pics ...the shock and awe is wore off . It definately needs to get skinnier overall . Main area of concern is the rear . From a front 3/4 shot , the rear is just to fat and pointy . Hopefully they can trim it down without losing any of the character . I really think they can , because all the pics Im looking at now I find myself saying how much better it would look thinned out a bit , with some normal 18" wheels ....which would also set the car lower to the ground than the massive 21/22's .
Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM

stars, ya think it'll still be taller after they shrink those 20"s down to 18"s? I really like the low stance of the car.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM

It will be skinnier (but still somewhat wide) and taller..the Concept is not really buildable in terms of proportions.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by yell-01vette
stars, ya think it'll still be taller after they shrink those 20"s down to 18"s? I really like the low stance of the car.
Not the stance(not sure about that), but the roofline to give the car a bit more head room and everyday livability.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:07 PM

Well what is the real width of the concept? It was reported as 79, but if I remember correctly Z284ever has said that was a misprint 2 inches too wide which would put it at 77. The width of a Z06 is 76, so going from a Z06 to a a thinner Corvette does not kill the look as it is mostly in the bulging 1/4s and fenders. My opinion anyway...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
The production version will be slightly taller and skinnier.

Well.......what would be your estimate on both? It seems to me the car is already fairly tall at 53" (my IROC is 49"). The reason the stance is so aggressive to me is the low slung look. This seems to be accomplished by two things visually:
1. the car is wide, which makes it appear lower than it actually is as far as overall height, the proportion of width to height is such that the car still has a low slung look
2. the beltline height and the slight "chop" of the greenhouse

It seems to me that making it taller and skinnier to any significant degree could seriously screw up the look. People have fallen in love with the concept because of the very aggressive look IMO, I know that is certainly what I love about it. If they water it down as much as ford did with the mustang, I think it will be a big mistake. Hopefully they can figure out some visual tricks that minimize the effect of the changes everyone seems to think they will make. I for one am still kind of worried though.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:09 PM

Third and 4th gens are naturaly low, lower then what someone would want from a daily driver coupe, but great for a 4 seater sports car. the GTO is a touch taller then the Camaro, and that car has near perfect seating position.

Quick Reply: How wide is too wide?