2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

GM memo to dealers regarding 5th Gen

Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 AM

GM memo to dealers regarding 5th Gen

I hope this isn't a repost, but I've never seen it. Anyway, a buddy of mine who's a GM for a large Chevy dealership here in KC just forwarded me this memo he got from Ed Peper. Not any new info really, but I did notice it said you can chose between A v6 and A v8. So I guess no chance for a top dog the first year (Hey, a guy can hope ). Also, I guess no more hoping for a 4th quarter of 2008 release.

At least they're trying to educate the sales people so someone can get a somewhat consistant answer from a dealer.

Anyway, enjoy:

Date: June 29, 2007
To: All Chevrolet Dealers
Subject: Chevrolet Camaro

As evident from our current sales event, the upcoming “Transformers” movie is expected to create a lot of buzz for Chevrolet. One of the movie stars who will help create the "buzz" is the Chevrolet Camaro "Bumblebee". The Camaro “Bumblebee” plays a huge role in the movie; and as a result, you may get a number of inquiries from customers regarding the Camaro.

At the conclusion of this letter you will find a list of frequently asked questions and answers that were developed around Camaro's appearance in the movie. In addition to these questions and answers, there are a couple of other Camaro points that have been announced to the public that everyone should be familiar with:

•The Chevy Camaro Coupe will be available for sale in the first quarter of 2009.
•The Chevy Camaro Convertible will be available for sale within one year of the Coupe.
•Customers will be able to choose from a V6 or V8 engine and a manual or automatic transmission.
•Camaro will incorporate an independent rear suspension.
•Production will take place in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

Everyone within General Motors shares in the excitement and anticipation for Camaro's re-entry in to the Chevrolet line-up -- and the movie will only add to that anticipation. It would be great if all the details regarding the Camaro could be announced today; however, given that actual retail production will not begin for well over a year away, it would be competitively unwise to share further details at this time.

If you seek more information about Camaro, "chevylaunch.com" has been updated with previously issued press releases and Camaro Concept Convertible Hero Card. "Chevylaunch.com" will be the primary distribution point for future Camaro announcements to our dealer and wholesale members.

If you have customers seeking information, please direct them to “Chevy.com” or “ChevyNation.com.” Under the "Clubhouse" section of ChevyNation, customers can learn about the history of the Camaro, and various activities leading up to Camaro's start of production. Both sites offer customers a section to sign up for Camaro Hero Card and the opportunity to “stay-in-touch” with Camaro’s development.

The “Transformers” movie provides a great opportunity to start a new relationship with customers seeking the Camaro. Let’s use this opportunity to sell not only a Camaro in 2009, but a current Chevrolet car or truck -- let’s transform some rides now!!!

Sincerely,

Ed J. Peper, Jr.
General Manager
Chevrolet Motor Division

Q. Why is the Chevy Camaro concept starring in the Transformers movie?

A. Camaro is starring in Transformers to keep up the excitement that was first generated at its unveiling in 2006. The Transformers movie will also help the new Camaro gather new fans – women, just as likely as young men. The movie uses the latest graphic, computer-animated detail to visualize the old Camaro transforming into the Camaro concept in a way that no press conference or ad campaign ever could. It’s a powerful way to link the upcoming Camaro to a Camaro of old and tie in the lengthy Camaro heritage for consumers.

Q. Is there a rich heritage surrounding Camaro?

A. Since it roared to life in the fall of 1966, Camaro has given millions a taste of “performance – American style,” with muscular V8s, great road-handling suspension components, and uncompromised styling that really turns heads. And after 35 years, Camaro remains the “purest of the breed” and part of the great American motoring landscape. Camaro has touched many lives – and graced many garages – with nearly 4.8 million produced between 1967 and 2002. More than 1,000 Camaro clubs exist globally and thousands of Camaro web sites pay homage to the sports coupe.

Q. When will the Camaro production vehicle be available for sale to the public?

A. The Camaro production vehicle will be available for sale in the first quarter of 2009.

Q. Why is the Camaro taking so long to launch? Is it late?

A. Back in August of 2006, GM announced that the all-new Camaro will go sale in the first quarter of 2009. Nothing has changed. This is still the target date for production. GM is using this timeframe to further develop its new global rear-wheel-drive architecture and fine tune Camaro’s fuel-efficient powertrain, sophisticated chassis and contemporary design.

Q. Was a production Camaro the plan from the beginning?

A. Camaro production is a direct result of the overwhelming enthusiastic response to the Chevy Camaro concept at the 2006 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The concept vehicle has spurred consumers to start petitioning drives and begin sending in certified checks in hopes of placing early deposits.

Q. What performance features and engines will be offered in the Camaro production vehicle?

A. The Camaro production vehicle will incorporate an independent rear suspension and offer a manual and automatic transmission. Customers will be able to choose from a V6 engine or a V8 engine to power their production Camaro. Horsepower ratings have yet to be announced for the production Camaro. The Camaro concept houses a small-block V8 engine, rated at 400 horsepower. More Camaro production features will be announced in the future.

Q. Will there be a production Camaro convertible?

A. Yes, there will be a production Camaro convertible. It will be available for sale within one year of the production Camaro coupe.

Q. Where will the production Camaro be built?

A. Production will take place in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

Q. Has pricing been announced for the production Camaro?

A. Pricing for the production Camaro has yet to be announced.

Q. Are vehicles like the production Camaro compatible with growing concerns about fuel economy?

A. GM offers a wide range of fuel saving technologies. Although it is too early for specifics regarding the Camaro production vehicle, it’s safe to say that Chevrolet and GM are continuing to look for ways to improve fuel economy and offer the latest fuel saving technologies. The Camaro production vehicle is being designed with fuel economy concerns in mind.

Q. What vehicles will the production Camaro compete against?

A. Customers interested in the Camaro production vehicle will also be shopping the Ford Mustang and the new 2008 Dodge Challenger. The Camaro production vehicle will be designed to hold a number of product advantages over this competition and surely be able to hold its own against any high-performance competitor out there.

Last edited by dover179; 07-10-2007 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 AM

Gave me goosebumps reading it rofl, im goin to go watch tranformers again I think. Lots of info in that email, thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 06:17 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Pretty much confirms what has been said here all along.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:05 AM

By the time the Camaro hits the streets, Transformers 2 will be right around the corner.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 AM

I was kinda hoping for fall '08..... oh well.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Damn, gonna have to wait a year to get the convertible oh well. Gives me more time to save for a nice down payment.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dover179
At least they're trying to educate the sales people so someone can get a somewhat consistant answer from a dealer.
Funny you say that. I was at a dealer yesterday (was on the way to the mall, and a friend wanted to check out the Tahoe, while I can check out new cars anytime) and, of course, a salesman came out to hound us.

Anyway, I told him we were just looking around and that I was actually waiting for the Camaro.

He said something along the lines of we still have a bit of a wait for it, so I said yeah, early 2009.

His next statement was 'yeah, they said it was going to come out this year. They lied'. LOL I just chuckled and continued on looking at vehicles.

He left us alone, telling us his name in case we had any questions.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
Funny you say that. I was at a dealer yesterday (was on the way to the mall, and a friend wanted to check out the Tahoe, while I can check out new cars anytime) and, of course, a salesman came out to hound us.

Anyway, I told him we were just looking around and that I was actually waiting for the Camaro.

He said something along the lines of we still have a bit of a wait for it, so I said yeah, early 2009.

His next statement was 'yeah, they said it was going to come out this year. They lied'. LOL I just chuckled and continued on looking at vehicles.

He left us alone, telling us his name in case we had any questions.
Aren't the first salesman that approach you on the lot usually the less experienced and less knowledgeable ones? At least in my experience they always have been.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Depending on the Dealership it might be just the Salesman that is "UP".
Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 AM

Maybe I'm looking at this a bit differently than everybody else regarding being able to choose from a V6 or V8. To me this does not come across to me that there will only be one V6 and only one V8 engine available. I look at it as I have a choice of a six or eight but not just one of each. Time will tell.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Spill it Stefan!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4EverCamaro
Maybe I'm looking at this a bit differently than everybody else regarding being able to choose from a V6 or V8. To me this does not come across to me that there will only be one V6 and only one V8 engine available. I look at it as I have a choice of a six or eight but not just one of each. Time will tell.
I read this the same way. Because Mustang has so many flavors and price levels, I don't think there's value in marketing Camaro in a limited fashion (ie, the top dog coming a year later). I can see waiting on the 'vert for a year, due to the engineering that goes into it, but for the core customer group they'll want the top dog Camaro sooner rather than later.

Gotta say though, the idea of Camaro evolving past the initial release date (and it will no matter what) - is exciting. The last refresh (to me) seemed almost tacked on, kind of a last ditch effort to generate interest in the car. A truly new debut was.....14 years ago!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by 4EverCamaro
I can see that too. Maybe I'm just a pessimist. Usually though, I would think they would say something along the lines of "a choice of a v-6 or one of 2 v-8's" or something like that. I'm probably looking into it WAY too much, but oh well, all we can do is speculate till specs are released.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Having to wait 4 years for this car to be released when the G8 is right around the corner is pathetic. I don't care what GM's excuse is, either. This car will be old before it's even released.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM memo to dealers regarding 5th Gen