CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/)
-   -   Dead pedal??? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/dead-pedal-640711/)

CTK1 10-08-2008 02:10 PM

Dead pedal???

In the :no:Camaro workbook it lists a "Dead Pedal", what are they talking about???

JasonD 10-08-2008 02:12 PM

The pedal for your left foot to rest on when not in use. It is a good thing.

CLEAN 10-08-2008 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD (Post 5622621)
The pedal for your left foot to rest on when not in use. It is a good thing, the 4th gens only had a flat area and not an actual pedal.

Or you can use it to mash yourself into your seat during "spirited" cornering:D

Rob V 10-08-2008 02:15 PM

From Wikipedia...

In an automobile, the dead pedal is located to the left of the other pedals. Unlike the throttle, brake or clutch pedal, the dead pedal does not move and is not connected to anything. The dead pedal can serve several important purposes:

It acts as a foot rest for the left foot.
In cars with manual transmissions, it helps keep the driver from riding the clutch.
It helps brace the driver whilst performing extreme maneuvers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Pedal

5thgen69camaro 10-08-2008 02:16 PM

I dont know about anyone else but I didnt like the 4th gens dead pedal. My foot kept sliping off it. I hope this one is better...

jg95z28 10-08-2008 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro (Post 5622638)
I dont know about anyone else but I didnt like the 4th gens dead pedal. My foot kept sliping off it. I hope this one is better...

You must have huge feet. I'm a size 12 and I've never had that problem. :D

CTK1 10-08-2008 02:56 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't know that that piece of equipment needed to make it into the workbook, not exactly a highlight IMO.

MissedShift 10-08-2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by CTK1 (Post 5622719)
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't know that that piece of equipment needed to make it into the workbook, not exactly a highlight IMO.

Drive a manual transmission car long distances in traffic without one, and come back and let me know if you feel the same way...

Koz 10-09-2008 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MissedShift (Post 5622896)
Drive a manual transmission car long distances in traffic without one, and come back and let me know if you feel the same way...

I don't ever use mine for normal driving :shrug:

I don't have any issue with it, just saying...

97QuasarBlue3.8 10-09-2008 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by CTK1 (Post 5622719)

It's really not a highlight. Dead pedals aren't exactly "common" equipment in GM cars though, so maybe they're listing it so they appear as hip and cool as other performance car makers. :p Usually what you see is a patch of vinyl on the carpet as a place to rest your foot, or there's a foot e-brake that swings down there.

Dead pedals are great. If you're a spirited driver, they provide you a place to brace yourself. For everyday driving, they're great especially with manual trans cars-- 1) It discourages you from resting your foot on the clutch and burning it up, and 2) it provides a level "platform" so your left and right feet are extended at approximately the same distance. This is better for your back.

4th gens had them, but they weren't very good as I remember. Smallish, made of plastic.

5thgen69camaro 10-09-2008 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28 (Post 5622653)
You must have huge feet. I'm a size 12 and I've never had that problem. :D

Not unless you consider size 12 huge. It was worse when it was raining or snowing. A problem I havent had in other cars. I thought it was due to the angle and the thing having no grip. I thought it was annoying.

bigsjk 10-09-2008 07:27 PM

dead pedal? drive a G8

Just test drove a G8...has the dead pedal, but I will call the accelerator a dead pedal too as it was so close the brake pedal my foot got stuck and I almost crashed!

Steve in Seattle 10-11-2008 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8 (Post 5624741)
4th gens had them, but they weren't very good as I remember. Smallish, made of plastic.

The location was perfect and there was plenty of room. I had a MBA billet aluminum cover on mine that enlarged it a bit and gave it diamond-grip... perfect solution.

The key to a good dead-pedal is to be BIG, and comfortable with plenty of grip. Having it as close to the clutch pedal as possible is also a great help. :)

Steve in Seattle 10-11-2008 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by bigsjk (Post 5625306)
Just test drove a G8...has the dead pedal, but I will call the accelerator a dead pedal too as it was so close the brake pedal my foot got stuck and I almost crashed!

Perfect heal-toe pedal placement is what you're describing, the opposite (a wide gap used in work trucks) is more comfortable for large boots or those with less co-ordinated feet. As the population ages you'll probably see these gaps get wider, making heal-toe shifting in manuals more difficult without installing pedal plates.

Were you wearing boots when you had this foot-pedal problem? do you push with your toes, or balls of your feet?