CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/)
-   -   The COPO Name Returns to Camaro (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/copo-name-returns-camaro-808614/)

JasonD 04-21-2011 11:42 AM

The COPO Name Returns to Camaro

Just released on the GM Performance Parts page, the COPO Name is back...

https://www.camaroz28.com/content/wp...amaro_COPO.jpg

RE-INTRODUCING:
COPO PARTS AND ACCESSORIES FOR THE 2010-2011 CAMARO

While the punch cards and pocket protectors wielded by the wizards behind the classic COPO Camaro are a distant memory, the passion for Camaro performance and technology still burns white hot. And it's why GM Performance Parts is introducing a complete line of COPO%u2122 parts and accessories for the 2010-2011 Camaro.

For the enthusiasts and racers of the fifth-generation Camaro, GM Performance Parts COPO program offers new counterparts to the classic hardware of yesteryear %u2014 engineered, tested, and proven for your 2010 and 2011 Camaro. All-aluminum 427 LS7 block? Check. High-flow lightweight rectangle-port LS7 aluminum heads? Check. Race-proven ignition system? Check. 2010 Camaro body-in-white? Check.
In short, it's putting your authorized GM Performance Parts Center at the leading edge of Camaro performance all over again. Take a look at the following parts. And start making your list. Because your time machine awaits.

Check the rest of the page for more details, and a bit of COPO history:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Parts/copo-camaro.jsp

What do you think of this name being brought back in the form of new Camaro performance parts?

Jim85IROC 04-21-2011 12:25 PM

Re: The COPO Name Returns to Camaro

I think it's crap. COPO meant one thing, and this is nothing related to that original meaning. It's just the cheapening of a cherished part of Camaro history for the sake of short term marketing.

OutsiderIROC-Z 04-21-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 6669493)
I think it's crap. COPO meant one thing, and this is nothing related to that original meaning. It's just the cheapening of a cherished part of Camaro history for the sake of short term marketing.

Beat me to it, I couldn't agree with you more...

2010_5thgen 04-21-2011 01:25 PM

it would be different if it were offered off the assembly line.

VladimirSteel 04-21-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 6669493)

this...

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 6669558)
it would be different if it were offered off the assembly line.

and this...

:( i got excited when i saw the thread, but now im sad again...

TLSTWIN 04-21-2011 03:21 PM

I was just thinking... ok, I have to sell my car..... then :mad:

HAZ-Matt 04-21-2011 03:39 PM

Eh it's nice they offer performance parts. Sad that they throw the COPO moniker onto them. If you could go down to your Chevy dealer and order the car with those parts on them that would be a bit different.

HuJass 04-21-2011 05:48 PM

So when you order the body-in-white, do you get just the metal shell?
Because technically, that's what a body-in-white is.
And if that's true, how is it shipped? In a big crate?

sweet z 04-21-2011 11:43 PM

...was o.k., maybe even a little enthusiastic about ZL-1. Not so much on the COPO label being slapped on parts.

DAKMOR 04-22-2011 02:08 AM

its a bad call. thats just the LS7, LS7 heads, and high performance ignition system.. all have been available for a few years from GMPP.

lets start making some actual performance options on the car from the get-go. ...

graham 04-22-2011 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass (Post 6669811)
So when you order the body-in-white, do you get just the metal shell?
Because technically, that's what a body-in-white is.
And if that's true, how is it shipped? In a big crate?

BIW are all over the internet. It's not a hard search. GMPP, Scoggin Dickey... ect

ws6transam 04-22-2011 12:44 PM

COPO = Central Office Production Order.

A corporate ordering process by which special, non-standard packages could be accomodated by the factory. Fleet orders, special delivery trucks, special applications, etcetera. However one can't deny that COPO is mostly famous for being used by Berger and Yenko and others for the creation of some wicked factory hot rods. One thing it hasn't been in the past, from what I can tell, is a "brand" for the marketing of high-performance factory parts, like Chrysler's old "Direct Connection" , or Ford's SVO.

We've already got GM Performance as the brand outlet for the GM authorized performance parts. I do not see COPO as anything but a redundant brand name for a subset of GM Performance.

If GM wants to make COPO really special, they will set up an office by which special vehicles are created at GM, using the components available through GM Performance, which are then delivered to dealerships for sale. COPO would then be a "special products division", which could cover all sorts of things from Camaro drag cars, to ZR1 based trucks, to factory racers for use in various production road racing & autocrossing venues.

68 RS/SS Ragtop 04-22-2011 10:14 PM

^^^^ What He said^^^^

And those before him- it's a cheapening bastardization of the C.O.P.O. acronym

jg95z28 04-24-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 68 RS/SS Ragtop (Post 6670984)
it's a cheapening bastardization of the C.O.P.O. acronym

When you consider that there were COPO taxi cabs and police cruisers I don't think "cheapening" is the proper term. I will agree its a bastardization of what COPO stood for and a ridiculous use of the term in this case. They should have just stayed with GMPP, however I think GM is attempting to capitalize on the popularity of the reborn Camaro by tying it into its heritage, or at least purported heritage as the case may be with the ZL-1. :p

scottishgames 04-24-2011 05:44 PM

Looks like another way to squeeze a buck out of a already great backing for the car.
COPO once stood for something. Not the way they are trying to force feed it to us.