2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro SS vs. Mustang GT, in my driveway

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
I've always wondered why Austraila is so admant/draconian about the RHD thing?
That's the million dollar question, bossco!

I'm sure it has plenty to do with the Australian government looking after its own hip pocket. After all, we do have the most draconian speed laws in the world and probably the biggest windfall from speed cameras than any other country in the world. Creep over the speed limit by 3 km/h (2 mph) you can almost guarantee yourself a fine in the mail for $150 and 2-3 demerit points (12 points max). We are not allowed to have fun with our cars down here.

PS. Sorry to Peyton for hijacking his thread.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
The majority (vast majority?) of people aren't hung up on the car's weight....just some of us neanderthal gear heads. Guess I'm a proud member.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Texas back roads

OK, now that's what I'm talking about!!!!
Hoooooo-AHHHH!

In our last episode, I was mistakenly holding the rpms below 3000, per the advice of some engine break-in routine that I read here. Turns out that 3000 rpm is exactly where the Camaro SS comes to life. The owner's manual says stay below 4000 rpm for the first 1500 miles, and there is gangs of fun available, there. I have a hunch that, like the Mustang, my favorite "space shuttle launch" gear is going to be third.

I have three main routes home from where I work. Thursday, the weather was beautiful and the roads were dry, for a change, so I chose Highway 2484 from Harker Heights to Salado. It cuts a triangle off of the main-road route down Highway 190 to Interstate 35, goes through pastures, woods and past two lakes, and has numerous hills and twisty bits, many of them marked for 45 mph. Traffic was light to none, so I took advantage. The '06 Mustang GT takes the 45 mph turns easily at 65 to 70, but it's something that you need to concentrate on while doing. The Camaro carves them up like a well-honed blade at 68 mph with no particular effort needed. It gives life to the over-used phrase "tracks like it's on rails." Add a smidgen of throttle, and it just cuts a bit cleaner. Drift to the outside of the lane entering the curve, and you can clip the apex first time, every time. The Mustang will do it, but I have to work it a bit. The Camaro just goes where I imagine it will. The handling is incredibly intuitive.

I'm starting to dislike the skip-shift "feature" very much. I mostly avoid it by taking the car to about 20 mph before shifting out of first, but that's not really very efficient. Skip shift has bitten me several times in stop and go traffic. Quick-tag fourth, and downshift to third. I can sort of see the point, but why go to fourth? Fourth gear is dead wrong for speeds below 20. Feels like the engine is lugging, or about to. A better, efficient, in-traffic start is 1st to 20 mph, then skip to third. I'm getting better at noticing the skip-shift display on the Drive Information Center with my peripheral vision.

I am loving this car!!! The weather is supposed to be gorgeous, tomorrow. I made sure that the dealer didn't put any sort of paint protectant or wax on it. It'll get a good coat of Zymol Carbon in the morning. 37% carnauba. It's the most unbelievable shine I have ever seen.
http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3063A0A0.aspx
Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM

When mine does the skip shift, I've just gotten in the habit of pushing up for 3rd (only 2nd is locked out). You don't need to hit 4th first, 3rd is open.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
That's the million dollar question, bossco!

I'm sure it has plenty to do with the Australian government looking after its own hip pocket. After all, we do have the most draconian speed laws in the world and probably the biggest windfall from speed cameras than any other country in the world. Creep over the speed limit by 3 km/h (2 mph) you can almost guarantee yourself a fine in the mail for $150 and 2-3 demerit points (12 points max). We are not allowed to have fun with our cars down here. :no;
Ouch, although I fear were not to far behind in the speed camera department, Arizona IIRC is using the speed camera scheme to make up for budget shortfalls and it proves to be a money maker, I can see it spreading elsewhere?

Anyways somewhat more on topic;

Is the M6 in the SS pretty widely spaced? I know in my car the M6 is a wide ratio tranmisison. 2nd gear will carry you to 80 and 3rd will get you to around 110-115ish. I find 2nd gear to be the JATO gear most of the time when I'm goofing around at 60mph or less.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Debbie the Mustang pilot wants a Camaro SS!

Debbie has been romping the Camaro around. Wow, you should see the gas gauge needle drop! She commented on how solid it feels, how it moves out so much faster without the Mustang's feeling that it's about to get away from you.

Debbie wants to trade her Mustang GT in and get another SS! We're buying lottery tickets....

When updating our insurance online, I noticed that they still had our sixteen-year-old daughter as a "learners permit" driver, so I updated that, too. When you add a teenaged driver and a Camaro SS to your policy at the same time, it'll make you sick. Most of the increase was because of the teenager, even though she only drives the Acura RSX buzz-bomb and the Avalanche.

Here's some pics of our driveway, in case you thought we were kidding.

Wait till we take some pics of Debbie with the Camaro! We just hope that the picture contest is still running...

Last edited by Peyton; 10-10-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Peyton
Wait till we take some pics of Debbie with the Camaro! We just hope that the picture contest is still running...

till Oct 15
Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Still running...ends October 15. Uh...get your entry in...soon. And be sure to put several backup entries in your gallery here.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Prominent Member

Putting gas in the car........you're doing it wrong!
Old 10-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Putting gas in the car........you're doing it wrong!
Nice...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
I know in my car the M6 is a wide ratio tranmisison. 2nd gear will carry you to 80 and 3rd will get you to around 110-115ish. I find 2nd gear to be the JATO gear most of the time when I'm goofing around at 60mph or less.
I can't categorically speak to the utility of second gear, as I'm keeping it below 4000 rpm by the book for now. My impression, though, is that second gear is almost pointless. Third gear seems to be the "let's astonish everyone" gear.

For my Camaro pic contest entry, well.... rain is forecast for tomorrow through Friday. Maybe we'll work that to our advantage, though. Could it be that Debbie-the-Mustang-pilot should wear a raincoat? (Think dirty thoughts, you're on the right track)
Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Wow...this thread is really heating up...

Too funny!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:25 PM

Pickup truck drivers love the Camaro!

Pickup drivers keep honking! I bet that they wish that they had a Camaro SS like I do!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 PM

In the long view of things, I suppose that this Mustang died, so that my Camaro could live:

It was an '07 six-cylinder, black, leather upholstery, convertible. As similar as we could find to Debbie's GT convertible. We went for the six-cylinder to save on gas. I have never been so disappointed in a car in my life! It got one mpg better than the GT. Acceleration was wimply, handling was crude, and the manual transmission was crunchy. The unlicensed, uninsured goober in a land-yacht did me a huge favor. No car payments on that one, and we started saving for the Camaro. No six-cylinder, no compromises.

This morning before dawn, I was heading up I-35 at about 70. Traffic was light, and the pavement was wet. One of those little Smart cars went buzzing by, doing at least 80. I swear it looked like his tires were about 3 inches wide. He nearly lost it in a curve leading into a construction area a couple hundred yards ahead. Smart car vs. concrete barrier... would have been messy. He was the only Speed Racer I saw out, this morning.

My highway average fuel economy is 25.3, not bad. The car's all messy again. (I washed it, yesterday. Felt like I had to!) Friday, we might have sunshine and clear weather.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 AM

Is she trying to pass the sniffer test for emissions?

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs. Mustang GT, in my driveway