2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Article...2008 Camaro: Dead on Arrival?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I just sent those fellows a little note:
Let us know if he responds back.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:54 PM

guionM, I sent a letter basically desbribing the same thing you did in detail. He is getting bombarded. Let me know if you hear anything back.

Its funny how much we think the same, i hope he doesnt think the same guy sent both of them, hahaha. I will let you guys know if i hear back from him as well
Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by guionM
I just sent those fellows a little note:
Well said.

Having said that, don't you think that grammar and spelling mistakes (I count at least five) are something to be avoided when you're writing to an editor? I don't mean to nitpick, but the letter this guy receives from an automotive journalist is likely to be the one he pays the most attention to. He's an editor, so he's likely to notice at least as many mistakes as I did.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:53 PM

Guy,

I'll bet you a cup of coffee that all you get in return is a form letter response, but nice work anyhow.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Bert02SS

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Well said.

Having said that, don't you think that grammar and spelling mistakes (I count at least five) are something to be avoided when you're writing to an editor? I don't mean to nitpick, but the letter this guy receives from an automotive journalist is likely to be the one he pays the most attention to. He's an editor, so he's likely to notice at least as many mistakes as I did.
Granted the bar is higher for editors, and yes, there are errors, but the fact is, Guy wrote, and I didn't. Did you?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Guy, to use the internet vernacular, "PWNED!"
Old 06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bert02SS
Granted the bar is higher for editors, and yes, there are errors, but the fact is, Guy wrote, and I didn't. Did you?
No, I didn't. I might still....
Old 06-14-2007, 10:59 PM

Journalists like this guy are the reason that GM must market the fuel efficiency of the LS2 strongly with this car. No longer can the enthusiast insider be the only know that knows the Gen III-IV V8s get good gas mileage, stomping on the age old ideas of a bad mileage V8.

GM cannot slack on this....if they don't market the fuel efficiency of this V8 engine, the Camaro probably will die again.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by TheV6Bird
Journalists like this guy are the reason that GM must market the fuel efficiency of the LS2 strongly with this car. No longer can the enthusiast insider be the only know that knows the Gen III-IV V8s get good gas mileage, stomping on the age old ideas of a bad mileage V8.
Have you seen a Chevy ad recently? They've been touting fuel efficency on their V8s for quite some time.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Have you seen a Chevy ad recently? They've been touting fuel efficency on their V8s for quite some time.
I've seen them claim low 20's on the highway for the GMT900 trucks, but I haven't seen them say a word in any television ads about any of the LSx-powered cars. Corvette, GTO (when it was available), Impala/MC SS, etc... most people think those are gas guzzlers.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:43 PM

Journalists try to write editorials that insight emotion.
We love our cars with great emotion.
Emotion mostly sells these cars.

People bought the new stang because it reminded them of the past, or it was like the car that that their parents or uncle had, or they just generally thought it was cool. The hot new old looking stang!

Lots of kids are now driving new v6 stangs that would have probably bought a "pocket rocket" subcompact. Subcompacts just don't have the "it" factor that a muscle or pony car has. The subs are not very comfortable and they don't have much equiptment outside of cool MP3 interfaces.

I don't expect the 5th gen to be around for ever, but I expect that like the stang it will sell by the buckets for a while and will probably spin off some other cool derivatives (Firebird, Grand National, GTO, etc). Once the Camaro starts to wane, GM can role out the other flavors much more successfully than the Mustang's ongoing "14 versions of the same soup" strategy. They build the Corvette and the XLR on the same line, why not other versions of the 5th gen platform ala Norwood F-body days.

Maybe I'm all wet but I really think that GM can milk the 5th gen platform for 10 years if they follow that plan and after that it won't matter because we will all be driving fuel cells.

Last edited by Silver2009; 06-15-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Silver2009
I don't expect the 5th gen to be around for ever
Neither do I.....I expect it to spawn the 6th Gen.

Once the Camaro starts to wane
See above. Once Camaro starts to wane, it's a signal that the next generation is due.

Maybe I'm all wet but I really think that GM can milk the 5th gen platform for 10 years
Or, maybe that cool, smaller Alpha RWD platform will be done by then and the 5th Gen platform will be obsolete?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I've seen them claim low 20's on the highway for the GMT900 trucks, but I haven't seen them say a word in any television ads about any of the LSx-powered cars. Corvette, GTO (when it was available), Impala/MC SS, etc... most people think those are gas guzzlers.
I saw an Impala ad on TV that talked about the performance and fuel efficiency of the SS. It was a while ago though.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:05 PM

I think the article has some valid points, mostly the average joe won't be able to afford the camaro and insurance for it. My definition of an average joe is one or two kids making $30-$40K a year with a $1300 a month morgage. I think when the dealers get the camaro, they will hike up the price. I saw this when the GTO got the the local dealers. In early 05' the GTO had a sticker price of $38k. Finally, in late 06' the price dropped to $32K I'm sure to get rid of them. I not starting a mustang is better than camaro thread but, the mustang has always outsold the camaro, except one year in the late 70s'.What has Ford done in the past to sell more mustangs than camaro; marketing, pricing, or quality? The mustang has always been the poorman's hotrod. Ford made the mustang a fairly solid affordable V8 car, if the owner wants the car fast, he or she will go to the aftermarket. I would hope GM makes the camaro affordable and have different trim levels, so the average joe can get a fresh camaro.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
See above. Once Camaro starts to wane, it's a signal that the next generation is due.
Wrong.

Once the Camaro starts to wane, it's a signal that the next generation is late.

Quick Reply: Article...2008 Camaro: Dead on Arrival?