2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

An important note from our friend Scott "The FBodfather" Settlemire

Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

Exclamation An important note from our friend Scott "The FBodfather" Settlemire

The bottom line, Scott is being relocated from Chevrolet and Cadillac Shows and Exhibits to something else yet to be announced. This is not necessarily a bad thing! Just like always, things change and great (and unexpected) things come as a result.

Please use this thread to give your thoughts and encouragements to Scott on his new position and adventure. Share a memory if you have one. He will certainly be reading them!

Even though I knew about this for a while, I am still trying to put my personal thoughts together and I will post them later.

Originally Posted by fbodfather
They say that change is constant – and for everything there is a season…

At an early age, children start to imagine what they’d like to do or be when they grow up - (--but then, how many firemen and astronauts and ballerinas and nurses can the world absorb???!!)

Thankfully, most children change their ambitions as they grow and learn and experience all that life holds.

As a child, I knew that my life needed to be surrounded by cars – and that’s never changed.

“Mom Settlemire” tells me that she and my father knew that from the time I was two years of age, I would be in the car industry in some way, shape or form – as I was (and still am) crazy about cars. I was always lining up my toy cars ‘just so’ - -perhaps that’s why I love autoshows so much...

I always figured that I’d be a Chevrolet Dealer – following in the footsteps of my Grandfather, my Uncle and my Father – and in lock-step with my Cousins Tom and Sue.

It didn’t quite turn out that way...

Over the years (I started my 34thyear with GM this September) I have had the pleasure of working with many great people – from Dealers and their Managers and Employees - -to Designers, Engineers, Attorneys, Accountants, Promoters, Journalists, Professional Drivers, Administrators, Small business owners – the list goes on and on. I’ve had the pleasure of living in many states and driving some pretty amazing GM cars and trucks. And yes, I’ve driven the competition’s cars and trucks as well – because if you don’t – how can you design, engineer, and build the world’s greatest cars and trucks??? I’ve had the enviable opportunity to watch a car come to life – from the first imaginings – to the time it roars to life at the end of an assembly line – to when you, the proud owner, take delivery.

When I was invited to join the Camaro/Corvette Team, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven.

At the time, the Performance Car team (at Chevy) consisted of Dick, Fred, Cheryl, Sarah, Bob, Lisa, and Sam – and yes some came and went – but what a team it was! And of course, there were hundreds more men and women at GM Design and Mid-Lux – the Engineering Group that brought you the 4th gen Camaro and Firebird……and SLP who brought you the Camaro SS and Pontiac Firehawk...

The worst day of my career? August 27th, 2002 when the last Camaros and Firebirds rolled off the line at Ste. Therese……we had a group of very proud men and women who truly cared about the cars they brought to life…
I was simply inconsolable – and to this day, my eyes water just thinking about it.

One of the best? January 9, 2006 when we unveiled the “Camaro Concept” which, as we all know, would become the basis for the 5th gen Camaro.

Since then, GM has changed, grown, shrunk, and even gone thru bankruptcy….. I’ve watched dear friends retire, get separated (from the company) get separated (from a spouse) get married, get divorced, have children – and yes, unfortunately, pass on to ‘That Great Chevy Showroom in the Sky.’

When my friend and then-current boss, Rick Baldick came to me in the late winter of 2002 and asked me how I felt about “Shows and Exhibits” – I think my response was along the lines of “……I’d rather drink Drano, thank you!” I was offered another job – but decided that since I’d helped to pull together the NY Autoshow in the late 1980s – well – why not?

Little did I realize at the time that this job would be such a great one. Yes, the hours are long and arduous, and yes, it requires a lot of travelling….

( ---------another 50,000 Marriott points and I think I get to keep a hotel.........)

…but it allowed me to do so many things far and above what I’d expected. It allowed me to be involved with our concept cars and trucks. It allowed me to become very familiar with our Historic Fleet. It allowed me to continue working with the press to get GM Cars and Trucks out there in front of the public. It gave me many 3am wakeup calls to be ready to be interviewed at 5:15am for early news shows. It allowed me to meet so many great people within the industry – and to work with many Autoshow promoters and their staffs. I was privileged to work with great men and women at GM Creative Services, Gail & Rice, Bluewater Technologies, Czarnowski, ProDetailers, The Term Group, Show Services, Custom Automotive, GLS, QEK, GES, MotorTrend Shows, Paragon, Freeman, Spin Communications, Castle Communications, McNabb, Carlisle Productions, many associations such as Philadelphia Auto Dealer Association - the list seems endless – (and forgive me as I’ve left many out….)

And then there are my incredibly talented and dedicated ‘partners’ – Kevin, Geff, Marci, Tim, Mark, Terri ,Gary, Jamie, Bruce, “Sarge Marge” Tim, Bill, Paul, BJ, Tammy, and many others– the people who made sure I met deadlines and crossed all the ‘t’s and dotted all the ‘I’s – without them, I could not possibly do my job.

It allowed me the rare privilege to work, once again, on the car I so dearly love – the new Camaro. My thanks to Russ, John, Cheryl, and Al for allowing me to be a part of the rebirth of this legendary car.

I, along with John and Cheryl felt we really needed to have more involvement in the Camaro/Firebird Community when we started work in earnest on the new Camaro – and thus “The 12 Disciples of which there are 15” came to pass – and they’re some pretty amazing men and women who have brought YOUR thoughts and wants and desires to the forefront so that the new Camaro can be a car we can all be extremely proud of. What a rare privilege it’s been to work with them!

And most importantly?

It allowed me to travel throughout the United States and meet YOU, our valued enthusiasts. My position allowed me to support your shows and your clubs – and to let you know that GM does, indeed, care about you and values your opinion. I guess I’d become the ‘face’ of GM to a few people……..

As many of you know, there have been drastic changes at GM - -some good, some not so much.

I will be leaving Chevrolet and Cadillac Shows and Exhibits. I’ve been told that ‘we are choosing to go in a different direction'....but unfortunately, nothing else. When asked if it was something I did wrong, I was told 'no.' Perhaps this is, once again, a sign of the times.......

My Boss, Tim Peters, who I hold in such high esteem has left GM to pursue other opportunities.

Disappointed?

You have no idea.

That said, I’m sure I”ll be working with a great group of people and my Title will be along the lines of “Pre-Production Manager” . I don’t know exactly what that will entail. I do know that my new boss is a great guy – and I have some great co-workers that I’ve had the privilege of working with in the past.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to spend time with you as I’ve been able to in the past. And for that, I truly mourn – and I really mean that.

When asked, I will continue to offer my counsel to Russ and Al and John and Cheryl and the rest of the Camaro team – (...and Cheryl tells me my convertible will be built the week of the 18th!..)

And of course, I hope our paths will once again cross. (you can bet that Tom and Sue and I will always host a Camaro/Firebird event each summer at the Family Homestead....)

The Camaro is in great hands. Al Oppenheiser leads a team that has such incredible dedication and passion for this fabled brand. Russ and Cheryl and John are the Chevrolet people that will ensure America can always depend on having a Camaro that delivers much more than expected.

I will miss your smiling faces – and your magnificent Camaros and Firebirds more than I can tell.

Thank you -- Websites and Clubs! So many of you have put in countless hours to support this Camaro/Firebird community that is the envy of the industry and owner groups alike........

And Jason and Chris? Thank you for pioneering a club via internet - and for hanging in there for all these years - - there are so many clubs and sites that I can't start to name 'em all - but I thank each of you for 'keepin' the faith'..... Tim? I'll never forget the legendary "Gray Box!"

Never could I have imagined how so warmly I'd be welcomed into your clubs, your sites, and yes, your homes. I’ve had the privilege of being made a Godfather to children ; I’ve had children named after me. The guys in the Hudson Valley Camaro Club wanted me to be ‘their Godfather’ – and God Bless ‘Joey Red’ – he came up with the moniker “Fbodfather” – a name that others should really have had over the 40+ years of Camaro….

Many of you have asked my advice over the years – and I hope the counsel I was able to provide has helped in some way---

– and most importantly, I hope my constant rants about the use of Safety Belts has saved a life or two.

I do believe our paths will cross again – meanwhile, I ask you to keep something in mind as we all move forward in our lives:

“…The name ‘Camaro’ means ‘friend, pal, or comrade’…”

Pete Estes saw the Camaro as a close companion to its owner.

Further quoting him:

“………It suggests the comradeship of good friends…as a personal car should be to its owner….”

We (..that’s you and me…) came together because of this car – let’s never forget the gift of friendship – let’s always remember to treat those on our sites and in our clubs with love and respect - as true friends should……..

Be well - -and remember: “Always keep the faith…”

Yours in Camaro Comradeship:

Scott

Aka “RedPlanet”

Aka “Fbodfather”
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Disciple

Scott has surely been there for us, ...it is now time for us to be there for him. Keep the faith my friend that the man upstairs is looking over you...

God Bless,

Kevin
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Scott, best wishes for you in your next opportunity.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 AM
SEMA Media Team

You'll be missed Scott. Godspeed with your new endeavors.
Thank you.
Jim
Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 AM

A new challenge, a new adventure. I am sure that he will embrace the new path, with all the gusto he did in the past. Good luck, and God bless with your new post We're all here for you! And, I'll bet he still pops up at the odd
F body event!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks Scott, for all your time in helping with the 5th Generation Camaro!

I was hoping to see you again in Chicago, but GM has chosen another path for you! I wish you NOTHING BUT THE BEST in your new role, and I'm sure no one will do a job better than you!

Thanks for what you have done for this Camaro community, keeping the faith, dispelling the MANY MANY rumors, and keeping the truth known.

And finally, thanks for answering every question I one had - 24 hours a day, and also for being one of the greatest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and having as a friend!

Scott Volkert
Newman Chevrolet
Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
What goes around, comes around... there is no way that anyone can place a value on the contributions that Scott has made to our community and to GM over the years.
I have no doubt that Scott will have the opportunity to continue making use of his insight, abilities, talents and the fact that he is such an incredible "people person" in his new position - and that he will enjoy it.
In my view and I'm sure in the view of many others, Scott has been a tremendous asset to the corporation. His versatility is remarkable, as is his ability to take on new challenges and be successful.
Scott, you deserve no less than to enjoy what you do, and again, what goes around comes around.

Best regards,

Elie
Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 AM

Wishing you THE BEST

I am a long time GM car guy, and recent return to the Camaro fold (12th Camaro) It didn't take long, to notice the man to see/talk to was Scott! I needed some advice and info. and got over my shyness, and wrote him a letter, and was so pleased, with his IMMEDIATE response! I felt like the "President"(of USA) had called me!!
I want to be on the list of "supporters" of him... He will always know, how much he was loved and respected... I'm sure, we will always see, the results of his effort, in any part of GM operations... and he knows where to go,to get our opinions.. God Bless You! Godfather! Carl in Canada
Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 AM

Good Luck Scott!

You have a HUGE spirit and great enthusiasm, which will bring you great success in your new role. I hope we'll still be able to bump into each other now and then. You've always been a gentleman.

Charlie.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Best of luck on your new position Scott.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Disciple

Scott you are the heartbeat of Chevrolet and the Camaro community we are proud to know you and be have your friendship. Maggie & Denny
Old 10-11-2010, 03:06 PM

I have had the pleasure of meeting Scott a few times,the first was 2001 SLP Day at Milan.

The GM engine Plant in St Catharines, ect, ect.

Your a class act Scott it was a pleasure meeting your aquaintance.

Good luck in your new endeavours.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Disciple

You mean the world to so many people and you always will, no matter what job you're in or where you are. The friendships you have made (and will continue to make) are irreplaceable and will last over time and miles. You will be successful in whatever they have planned for you, and again, your skills and talents will rise to the top.

We will be forever in your debt for what you have done for the Camaro/Firebird community. Your influence, passion, and dedication will not stop here. You have made "disciples" of all of us! I wish you happiness and satisfaction in this new endeavor. We're behind you all the way! Please, please keep in touch and let us know what you're doing, and thank you again for all that you've done for us.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Good luck Scott in your future endevors, thank you for all that you do and have done for GM and the for us here at CamaroZ28!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM

I know Scott will succeed at whatever he sets his heart to.

You are the best, my friend. One of a kind. First class. The genuine article.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 10-11-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An important note from our friend Scott "The FBodfather" Settlemire