2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

370Z vs RS,

Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'm really looking forward to some magazine comparison tests between the 370Z and the new Camaro. They tend to pit cars against other similarly-priced cars, which means the 370Z would have to battle the SS.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I'm really looking forward to some magazine comparison tests between the 370Z and the new Camaro. They tend to pit cars against other similarly-priced cars, which means the 370Z would have to battle the SS.
It'll have equal acceleration to 60 and probably really damn close in the 1/4, and taper off after that, and it'll outhandle the SS without any real trouble.

However, it won't be as comfortable, it's got no backseat, it'll bottom out a lot easier, have about the same mileage, and be harder to tune without forced induction.

On a track they'll post about the same times, but get there in totally different ways.

It's a different kind of car and gets it's results in a different way. It's all about your personal tastes. I would actually go for the Z, but it'll be 30k which is a few thousand beyond what I'm willing to spend. So V6 RS for me.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by number77
After the GTR fiasco, I think alot of people are going to stay away from the Z model.
Whats the GTR fiasco?

And this car looks nice. Still like the 350 better. And the interior looks really cool but extremely cramped. especially at the door handle. Maybe its the angle of the photo, or the size of the steering wheel but where do your arms fit. I can't see my 6'5" self fitting in that.

I mean how do your legs and knees fit under that wheel?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by boxerperson
It'll have equal acceleration to 60 and probably really damn close in the 1/4, and taper off after that, and it'll outhandle the SS without any real trouble.

However, it won't be as comfortable, it's got no backseat, it'll bottom out a lot easier, have about the same mileage, and be harder to tune without forced induction.

On a track they'll post about the same times, but get there in totally different ways.

It's a different kind of car and gets it's results in a different way. It's all about your personal tastes. I would actually go for the Z, but it'll be 30k which is a few thousand beyond what I'm willing to spend. So V6 RS for me.
Uuuh , thats jumping the gun a little . GM has proved as of late , they got game in the handling dept. I personally think the SS will be a shining star in the twisties speculating off avail info . Not so sure the 370Z is gonna nipping 12's in stock form either Not trying to diss the 370Z as Im sure it will be a hell of a car and I do like the current Z cars , but...Guess well see
Old 11-03-2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by boxerperson

It will!?! When did the actual performance data for each of these cars get released?

Originally Posted by The Engel
Whats the GTR fiasco?
Something about transmission failures and their refusal to warranty the replacement.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Do you know how the state of our American auto industry is? How about using the money you save and put that into modding the RS...and do your part to help OUR own economy too? Just my .02
Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by CLOKWRK
Do you know how the state of our American auto industry is? How about using the money you save and put that into modding the RS...and do your part to help OUR own economy too? Just my .02
Now buying an "American" car is your patriotic duty...dont get me wrong I'll buy American, but I would never buy a car because it is American.

The 370z will come in at approximately 3400 lbs.; the V6 RS and the 370z ARE NOT competitors...just my .02
Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
FWIW - The $24K 2-door Cobalt SS turbo will spank the literal crap out of a V6 Camaro as well in accelation and handling .
I don't think it will...it will give it a hard time, and yes -- probably beat it (it's not called an 'SS' for nothing). But I think the LT camaro will be able to stay very close to the Cobalt SS...but we have to wait and see once the cars get out on the road for sure.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
I don't think it will...it will give it a hard time, and yes -- probably beat it (it's not called an 'SS' for nothing). But I think the LT camaro will be able to stay very close to the Cobalt SS...but we have to wait and see once the cars get out on the road for sure.
I have my doubts, but if the v6 camaro does that i will be VERY impressed.

The Cobalt SS is one mean little beast. Its time on the ring is as fast as an E46 M3, and in C&D's most recent track test, the CSS lap times beat out cars like the EVO MR, 135i, Audi S5, Lexus IS-F, S2000CR, Challenger SRT8, Lotus Elise SC, G37 sport, STI, etc...
Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
I have my doubts, but if the v6 camaro does that i will be VERY impressed.
Me, too!

I dunno. I really don't have anything solid to base it off of...just some numbers from a road+track article. They threw the Cobalt around a track against competing imports.

The Cobalt had a 13.9 1/4-mile. And a 0-60 in 5.4 sec.
weight was (as tested) 3155 lbs being pulled through a 5-speed with 260 horses.

So...I think it'll beat the LT without debate, but I think the LT will stick with it respectably. Certainly within a range, at least, that a few bolt-ons could flip the advantage.

Full article:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7103
end results (.pdf):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...risonchart.pdf
Old 11-05-2008, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Some claims can be made with near certainty....this is one of them. Especially when you note that the v6 camaro is 100+lbs heavier than the G37 coupe which is pretty much a larger, softer, and heavier 2+2 version of the Z.

We also don't know base pricing on the 370z but you can probably make the assumption that it'll cost a good chunk more than the camaro v6's 23k. Same reasoning.

The camaro's weight is what it is. Some cars will be heavier, others lighter. I think most of us will have to get used to it being heavier than many of the cars we might compare it to.
I think its a fair comparison as long as youre still reasonable and not doing a total 1 to 1. Account for The G37 having two less seats being smaller and a higher price range. Be realistic...

For roughly 24k Caddy powered V6 Camaro

3.6L
310hp 270ft-lb
0-60 6.1 sec

But the Z37 will probably closer to the 30s at which our SS is what 5.7 0-60 I think?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by JP2005
The 370z will come in at approximately 3400 lbs.; the V6 RS and the 370z ARE NOT competitors...just my .02
The 370Z is *supposed* to be significantly lighter than the 350Z, which weighs 3300 lb. Hopefully it'll come in at 3000, in which case I'll buy one, but realistically I'm figuring it'll be 3200 - 3250.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 AM

I hate when people latch onto some minute difference and then claim that cars don't compete.

Guess what, the market for $30K coupes is really not that large, and I'd bet the buyer profiles of the Z and the Camaro don't differ by a whole lot.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
I hate when people latch onto some minute difference and then claim that cars don't compete.

Guess what, the market for $30K coupes is really not that large, and I'd bet the buyer profiles of the Z and the Camaro don't differ by a whole lot.
well I agree, the SS will be Competing with the 370. I tend to think the Camaro V6 will be lower priced than any 370. Also what is the 2+2 and trunk space worth to you in terms of a little weight. Id Rather have the back seat but the nissan is still a nice car

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 11-07-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Why do you guys use the RS moniker in comparisons? The RS is an appearance package, it gives no additional performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 370Z vs RS,