2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.
View Poll Results: Interior: Retro or Modern?
I like/don't mind the retro interior
39.40%
I demand a more modern interior
60.60%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

[Interior] Who likes/wants a retro themed interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:27 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by SSbaby
At first I thought the concept's interior looked awful. But now I'm thinking, I don't want GM to alter anything. I want what I saw in the concept. The car looks unique - both exterior and interior.

As long as all the mod cons are there on the premium models, it should be enough to satisfy most peoples' tastes. Me? All I want is a nice interior that is ergonomically efficient and aesthetics that are not only pleasing to the eye, but functional.
couldnt agree with you more dude, i saw that interior and melted, i think it's genious how they got just the tach and speedo in front of you, and the gas and temps in front of the shifter
it's looking more and more like the 1st gens i must say
Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 AM

As long as I can have GPS and paddle shifters in an interior that looks similar to the convertible concept's I'll be as happy as can be...
Old 06-02-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Casull
I was talking to a friend of mine who works at GM the other day. He got to sit in on a design meeting for the interior (primarily instrument cluster design). I can tell you that those of us that are not crazy about the Concept's interior have nothing to worry about..

He wasn't able to give me many details, but he assured me that the interior will not be the same as the interior int he current concept.
This is the best post I've read in a while.

I woas looking a the interior photos of the concept. I wasn't impressed. Ther looked gimicky and lacked detail which would make them hard to read. I would be very disappointed if that was the production interior.

We want a modern engine and a modern suspension. I'm sure everyone wants a modern interior. Give me good ergonomics, and analog guages anyday.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:49 PM

I don't mean this to offend you, but if you haven't seen the interior in person, then you shouldn't be forming an opinion about it. It's a lot better looking than you think, and with those two guages staring you in the face, it really looks nice.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I don't mean this to offend you, but if you haven't seen the interior in person, then you shouldn't be forming an opinion about it. It's a lot better looking than you think, and with those two guages staring you in the face, it really looks nice.
If you are talking to me...

.......point taken. I would hope that a production prototype will be out soon so we can all get a look at it. So far as I've heard delivery is still set for early 2009 calender year (feb.). This is still a long ways off. Hopefully a model will be presented at the auto shows next year.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:16 PM

You really gotta see one of the concepts in person before you form an opinion. I didn't like the silver one at all until I saw it! But... the convertible concept is the real show stopper. The interior is beautiful. The blue guages are something I'm really hoping for.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:11 PM

You really gotta see one of the concepts in person before you form an opinion. I didn't like the silver one at all until I saw it! But... the convertible concept is the real show stopper. The interior is beautiful. The blue guages are something I'm really hoping for.
I agree that the interior looks nice when shown in a color other than that ugly orange. I'd like to see an option to change the color to your liking (purple please) rather than being stuck with just one though. Give a few options (red, blue, orange, purple, yellow, green, white and pink to attract the females perhaps).

I love a white or silver vehicle w/dark purple trim... (Or reversed.)
Old 06-04-2007, 11:35 PM

I would like an interior that will nicely match the color of my exterior, with no retro gauges! those things have got to go, we need more modern! This article made me feel a little better... sorry if it's a repost!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:50 AM

I guess I'm part of the minority here. I know the concept interior can't make it to production due to cost, but I like the concept's interior. The outside of the car has a wonderful way of looking both modern and retro at the same time. I want the inside to carry over that same feel. Obviously it needs to be ergonomic and easy to live with, but that doesn't mean that it has to be like any/every other car interior out there. When I climb behind the wheel, I want to know I'm in a Camaro without having to get out and look at the car again. As far as the cockpit feel, if I want a Corvette interior, I'll buy a Corvette.

Bottom line for me is... tweak the concept's design to make it production ready and user friendly. Don't dump it in favor of something that is indistinguishable from a Miata, S2000, GTO, 300Z, Eclipse, etc.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 PM

If you're going to fully retro my interior, you'd better fully retro my price too.

I pay 35K plus to have a NEW car, not something from the 60s. I like some of the cues that are taken from the past, but don't give me a newer version of an old car... there's a reason the car design needed to be redone back then and it still applies. I want a car that when I get inside I know why I just paid as much as I did for it. Make me feel good when I drive my Chevy. That means give me a modern interior.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by z28Power
If you're going to fully retro my interior, you'd better fully retro my price too.

I pay 35K plus to have a NEW car, not something from the 60s. I like some of the cues that are taken from the past, but don't give me a newer version of an old car... there's a reason the car design needed to be redone back then and it still applies. I want a car that when I get inside I know why I just paid as much as I did for it. Make me feel good when I drive my Chevy. That means give me a modern interior.
So go spend your 35K on something you feel better about. I think that "retro looking" gauges with modern functions would be just fine. As far as the reason the design needed to be "redone" back then, I felt then and I still feel today that the 2nd gen. design did not come close to being a major improvement over the 1st gen., just different than the original. Perhaps the new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc. are just not your cup of tea, we all have to choose/buy what we like and no car/truck ever made or will be made in the future that appeals to everyone.
Clyde
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM

I agree. Plus, if you look at the interior in person, you aren't exactly getting an interior from the '60s. If you didn't hear somebody say it was retro or see a picture of a first gen interior... you wouldn't have the slightest clue it was retro.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM

I agree. Plus, if you look at the interior in person, you aren't exactly getting an interior from the '60s. If you didn't hear somebody say it was retro or see a picture of a first gen interior... you wouldn't have the slightest clue it was retro.
That's true. The interior of the Camaro concept pulls off the retro 'inspired' thing just as well as the exterior does. It's very modern when judged on it's own merits. If there were no 1st Gen to compare it to everyone would probably say 'how modern' the whole car looks.

The interior, in no way, looks just like the interior of the 1st Gen's that it's based on.

My only issue was the ugly gold/orange interior color they went with. The convertible's interior is a VAST improvement and all they did was change the colors.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
So go spend your 35K on something you feel better about. I think that "retro looking" gauges with modern functions would be just fine. As far as the reason the design needed to be "redone" back then, I felt then and I still feel today that the 2nd gen. design did not come close to being a major improvement over the 1st gen., just different than the original. Perhaps the new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc. are just not your cup of tea, we all have to choose/buy what we like and no car/truck ever made or will be made in the future that appeals to everyone.
Clyde
Somebody can tell me to go get a different car just as quick as I could tell them the same if they don't want it redone modern. The point here was just to get people's opinions, not tell them to buy a different car if they don't agree. How is this any different than me saying "well if you don't like anything else they do to make the interior more modern, go buy a different car and don't give me your opinion?"

I think retro can be pulled off, and I think it can be done with the Camaro and am looking forward to seeing more as the finalized production pictures come out in time to see what happens.

Just putting in some opinion as well. It's not necessary to try and jump down my throat and tell me to go buy from a competitor.

I've seen plenty of first gen interiors - it definitely has the retro theme going for it right now. I don't necessarily hate the retro interior, but I think it needs to feel a bit more modern still to appeal to a larger audience.

I haven't seen the interior in person, as many many people have not. I think the inside looks OK, it just doesn't give me the "new" retro feeling that some other retro interiors like the mustang did when I first saw it. It's not a polished product so I'm still keeping my options open, and still love just about everything about the car, looking forward to the next year and a half of developments.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 PM

Believe me, it's nice. The benefit of it looking the way it does is that no other car on the road will have an interior like it. I would hate to have such a cool exterior just to step inside and feel like I'm in an '07 Impala all of a sudden.

Quick Reply: [Interior] Who likes/wants a retro themed interior?