2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.
View Poll Results: Interior: Retro or Modern?
I like/don't mind the retro interior
39.40%
I demand a more modern interior
60.60%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

[Interior] Who likes/wants a retro themed interior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:44 PM

Who likes/wants a retro themed interior?

I think we really need to communicate to Chevrolet our feelings on the concept's interior. It doesn't seem like anybody is for a retro-themed interior, especially retro guages/guage pod. So, just to get some highly unscientific numbers, who likes or doesn't mind the retro interior like we have seen/will see on the concept, and who demands a new, modern interior?

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 01-07-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:47 PM

Re: Who likes/wants a retro themed interior?

I think they should look to the vette for help.

The vette's interior is not a space ship departure fromt he previous model, but fit/finish and design is all very well on par.

That rendering in the R&T vid is ok. I think they can do better (and maybe they did), and will reserve judgement until I see the real deal.

As long as the seats are comfortable, I can see the gauges, and see out of the windows ok, then I will buy one.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:50 PM

Interior guages and layout need to be modern. It's not rocket science, just copy any of the cool guages and layouts out there right now that use the white background and upscale looking chrome rings around the guages.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
Interior guages and layout need to be modern. It's not rocket science, just copy any of the cool guages and layouts out there right now that use the white background and upscale looking chrome rings around the guages.
That's kind of how I feel. It seems like Ford and now Chevy are trying to re-invent the 1960's wheel when it comes to guage clusters in their pony cars. Don't use gimmics, just give me something large, well laid-out and easy to read at a quick glace.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:01 PM

The Seats need to be awesome......and I voted no on the retro interior.

I dont want to feel like I'm driving an old car, I want modern cutting edge stuff inside. MP3 Capability,adjustable colors on guages, optional HUD,NAV.....
Old 01-07-2006, 03:30 PM

I don't mind the interior but please don't put gauges down on the center console, put them up on the dash so we can read them quickly and don't have to take our eyes off of the road.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:38 PM

I voted in favour of a modern interior but if it could be done as tastefully as the Challenger's interior, I say why not go retro-modern.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:40 PM

More modern, there's a lot of '69's out there if I wanted one, I'd get an original.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:45 PM

I want a thouroughly modern interior with not one ounce of retro cues . Be orginal , be innovative , be inviting . Dont let it be retro or a dark coal chamber , im so sick of seeing an all blacked out interior . Use some color to brighten things up , but be VERY tasteful about it . I love how the Cobalt had color keyed inserts for the seats and contrasting silver stiching for the ebony leather seats and steering wheel .

And will you guys PLEASE ditch the incandescent lighting for the dash . LED white looks sooooooooo much better than the white chevy currently tries to convey with incandescent bulbs .

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 01-07-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:15 PM

I have to say that if the production interior looks like the pictures then I would have to call it one of THE WORST interior designs I have ever seen in a modern production vehicle, and I am being serious. I doubt they will change it at all. Full retro is what they want and that is what we will get.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:15 PM

The retro IP must go. We need a modern interior.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
The retro IP must go. We need a modern interior.
Agreed. And no gimmicky crap, either -- a good drivers' IP with a full complement of easy-to-read black gauges with white markings.

If they manage the weight well this thing will be fantastic on road courses -- give us instruments that live up to that, not retro ergonomics designed just for nostalgic baby boomers.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 PM

I voted for demanding a newer interior, but I'm not sure demand is the right choice. I would prefer a modern instrument cluster at least, but it's not a deal breaker for buying the car. I hope they change it but I'm not "demanding" it...

The interior/gauge cluster is the one area I'm going to agree with the "NO RETRO" guys on, old and nostalgic there just doesn't get it done somehow, I want sweet backlighted gauges (the reverse indiglo-ish looking things with adjustable colors like the new Stangs would be great IMO), and a good layout. Honestly the somewhat "wraparound" cockpit style drivers setup is what I want, the more wraparound and the more untraditional (compared to "regular" cars, with flat normal dash layouts) the better to me. My 94 has a pretty sweet layout there, I definitely love the wraparound dash vibe it has going. On the new one some gauges down on the console in front of the shifter like the concept drawing seems to indicate are OK (and actually a cool addition) but I want most of my important gauges up in the cluster where they belong...

I also don't think I like the square bezel things around the speedo/tach, but I'll reserve some judgement there since it's a drawing.

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 01-07-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Is it just me, or does the video only show drawings of the interior?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:07 PM

NO! To a retro interior. Look how blocky and crude the interior on the Chellenger concept is. The Mustang interior is a little betterbut it's spartan and just not very exciting or inviting to look at or sit in.

So long as the shifter stays on the floor where it's supposed to be, then I say GM can go full steam ahead and give us something desrving of the cars outer "personalilty" (which is anything but retro!). BUT - GM please don't go down the BMW-esque iDrive route where dials and twist ***** and thumb ***** replace a well designed minima,l but functional set of switches and buttons.

Quick Reply: [Interior] Who likes/wants a retro themed interior?