CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-interior-exterior-paint-body-electronics-car-audio-114/)
-   -   [Interior] Start button in production version? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-interior-exterior-paint-body-electronics-car-audio-114/start-button-production-version-620161/)

jg95z28 07-15-2008 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Black5thgen (Post 5478140)
Is is going to have a switchblade key like we saw in the spy shots, *cough* Jason? *cough*

Aren't most manufacturers doing that now, including GM?

live4muscle 07-21-2008 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson (Post 5476994)
I never understood why everyone is so enamoured with the push button start.

me too...:no:

AdioSS 07-21-2008 07:07 PM

looks like it didn't make it...

JasonD 07-21-2008 08:28 PM

Personally, I think the switchblade key is just as cool, if not cooler than a push button start.

savage99ss 07-21-2008 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD (Post 5490274)
Personally, I think the switchblade key is just as cool, if not cooler than a push button start.

Same here, ever since i first laid eyes on a Mercedes Switchblade Key. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Jason Dove 07-21-2008 10:00 PM

The switchblade is okay... I'm still going to have a garage opener, my apt keys (4), parents house and work keys hanging off it. I really would have preferred a RFID/Pushbutton, but it's such a minor thing I'm okay with it.

AdioSS 07-21-2008 10:06 PM

I like the pushbutton in the C6. You don't have to take your keys out of your pocket to start the car or unlock the doors. It's just easier that way.

Does the switchblade have remote start?

HuJass 07-22-2008 02:00 AM

I thought the pushbutton start was stupid when my g/f picked up her Altima.
And after a few weeks with it, I'd love to get rid of all my keys.
It's just so much more convenient to not have to fumble with keys.

AdioSS 07-22-2008 12:58 PM

I want a similar system for my house. It's a PITA dealing with keys.

sselie 07-22-2008 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Black5thgen (Post 5478140)
Is is going to have a switchblade key like we saw in the spy shots, *cough* Jason? *cough*

Yes, it has a switchblade key. Sure, it may be great not to have to fumble around with your keys to find the right one to start the car, but at the same time, I don't necessarily want to have my key chain poking me in the thigh or ripping my pocket when I sit down for a long drive. I'd rather have 'em hangin' from the steering column or sitting in the dashboard, than in my pocket. And FWIW, this is not a high tech revelation... my Dad's '49 Chevy had a pushbutton on the dash (little chrome thing) to start the car... it was apparently a really big deal back then, as the '48 Chevys had a big honkin' button on the floor to the left of the clutch that you had to mash your foot on to start the sucker! Best regardSS, Elie

TTopJohn 07-24-2008 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD (Post 5475164)
It has a key.

Whoo Hoo! I have an intense dislike for "start buttons." Ignition keys just work so well that I hate to see them replaced by start buttons.

notgetleft 07-24-2008 09:34 AM

Push button starts have one big downside. One day, a woman i work with was carpooling with her husband in his infiniti M45. He drove form the house and when they got to his place of business he got out and she drove to work. Right about the time she turned the car off she realized that he still had the 'key' in his pocket.

Granted, situations like that don't necesaarily pop up that often, but it's still pretty lame to have a modern frilly 'convenience' feature that stes you up for an easy "duh" mistake like that. For example, i could imagine running out to my car in the morning, starting it up, then going back in the house because i forgot something and putting my keys down when i walk in the house and leaving them there. Whoops now i'm locked out of my house and my car is running.

Scott 97 Z28 07-24-2008 06:36 PM

The 08' Nissan's with the push button tell you when the key leaves the car. It also displays a message on the information screen and dings at you until the key comes back.

The RFID system also unlocks the doors if you forget your "key" in the car. No more locking the keys in the car with this technology.

notgetleft 07-24-2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scott 97 Z28 (Post 5496638)
The 08' Nissan's with the push button tell you when the key leaves the car. It also displays a message on the information screen and dings at you until the key comes back.

The RFID system also unlocks the doors if you forget your "key" in the car. No more locking the keys in the car with this technology.

So you can't lock the doors if you're just sitting in the car?

While a bit of a hassle, the GTO system (mechanical interlock) of simply not allowing the doors to lock when they are open works well for ensuring there is no way you can lock the keys in the car.

2010SSVERT 07-31-2008 12:39 PM

I'd like a PBS to keep the keys from hanging down from the ignition(or completly horizontal during the 1+ G turns:D)

Originally Posted by 91Z28350 (Post 5475768)
As long as you like an automatic it is:mad:

OH well mo PBS for me, Manual is way more important.

Originally Posted by savage99ss (Post 5477981)
How lazy can you get...thats like having a remote control for your aftermarket radio. Just something else to break.

It sure is nice to have one in my excursion, I use it from the back compartment quite a bit.