2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Paint & Body] Rust Spots on Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Rust Spots on Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS

2 weeks ago I noticed rust spots on the trunk lid, not like the little specs you might see if you haven't used detailing clay, but more like where ever moisture sat on the car, like from dew at night. Well this past week was the first rain my new Camaro SS/RS has seen, since I got it about 3 months ago, and I went to wash it this morning, and found rust spots everywhere that water sat on it from the rain. When I first found these little rust spots on the trunk, I used detailing clay to remove them, then I made sure I kept my car covered in wax (Mother's California Gold Wax). I knew rain was coming so I completely clayed and waxed my car last weekend, it rained on and off for a couple days and then Friday was sunny, today Saturday I went to clean the rain spots off my car and found Rust Spots all over the place, and they don't wash off. I took it to the Dealer and showed them, they tried to blow it off as fallout, I never got rust spots on my silver Acura for 4 years I told them.
They told me to bring it back during the week when their guy will be there to check it out. Is anyone else having these issues? I shouldn't have to clay my paint every week to remove rust, especially with a couple coats of Wax on there.

Last edited by jimvor; 10-17-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add more pics
Old 10-17-2009, 07:50 PM

wow, GM drops the ball again with paint issues. Unbelieveable. They make people wait 8 years for this damn car, and now were back to the paint issues again like in the 90's. C'mon man, they've been painting cars for almost a century and they still cant get it right? Ridiculous. Ennnhh, what do you want for $45k. And we wonder why our auto industry is failing. I really hope this is an isolated incident for GM's sake.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Seriously, this sucks! Its on every surface that faces up, and even with clay it doesn't just come right off, it takes some effort, and I have the heavy duty clay, not like the stuff you buy in the store, but it is Meguiar's Professional stuff I got from a detailer at my work. The dealer said "if" there is a problem they will fix it.... "If"??? Pretty obvious to me that there's a problem. So if anyone out there has Silver Ice Metallic, I hope you will post your findings with your paint! They said without hardly looking at it that it is fallout, but that's bull or my Acura would of had it at sometime during its 4 years, and the silver Acura I had before that for 2 years. Same carport, same job, same everything, just this Camaro's paint rusts.

Here's a really close up picture, doesn't rub off with soap and water:

Last edited by jimvor; 10-17-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

That's very weird. Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by blown94
wow, GM drops the ball again with paint issues. Unbelieveable. They make people wait 8 years for this damn car, and now were back to the paint issues again like in the 90's. C'mon man, they've been painting cars for almost a century and they still cant get it right? Ridiculous. Ennnhh, what do you want for $45k. And we wonder why our auto industry is failing. I really hope this is an isolated incident for GM's sake.
There are so many things wrong with that entire post I don't even know where to begin.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:41 PM

hmmmm... has your car been exposed to sanding dust? I remeber when I was sanding down one of my cars to get ready for paint. I had my friends mustang nearby, after a wash down of his car, he had rust spots all over the right side of the car (where I was sanding.) After a good wet rub off with a nylon towel it came off.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:48 PM

I have gotten a few good opinions, and have figured out that it is in fact not in the paint or from the paint, it is just crap that dried on from the California Smoggy first rain, and the trees. But, it really threw me for a loop cuz this had never happened to my previous silver cars. I looked at these rust spots up close with a 10x Jewelers Loupe and it looks very much just like the pictures I've posted and no sign that it is in the paint, but just ontop of it. I have Clayed half the car so far this afternoon, and I bought some Meguiar's NXT wax. I can't believe how hard it is to get this rust looking crap off the paint, but it does come off with lots of rubbing with Clay. Next time it gets wet from rain, I will wash that crap off as soon as possible.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM

That sucks, some of the 4th gen guys had an issue with rail dust when they initially took delivery of their cars, but never any thing like this. I think blown94 is speaking of early 90s clear coat issues.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 PM

I spent most of the afternoon claying the whole car, then waxing every inch with Meguiar's NXT. It is all back to normal now, looks great now, and that wax is some good stuff, really makes it slippery. I will make sure I don't let the 1st rain sit on it again.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimvor
I have gotten a few good opinions, and have figured out that it is in fact not in the paint or from the paint, it is just crap that dried on from the California Smoggy first rain.
I thought this when I first seen the photos....
Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 AM

even if it takes a lot of effort, if it can buff out, it is on top of the paint not rust from below.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 AM

looks like rail dust to me. if its on the trunk and bumpers, every car gets it. white and silver just have it show more easily. just use a clay bar and it will all come off and then wax it when done. dont worry.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by jimvor
I have gotten a few good opinions, and have figured out that it is in fact not in the paint or from the paint, it is just crap that dried on from the California Smoggy first rain, and the trees. But, it really threw me for a loop cuz this had never happened to my previous silver cars. I looked at these rust spots up close with a 10x Jewelers Loupe and it looks very much just like the pictures I've posted and no sign that it is in the paint, but just ontop of it. I have Clayed half the car so far this afternoon, and I bought some Meguiar's NXT wax. I can't believe how hard it is to get this rust looking crap off the paint, but it does come off with lots of rubbing with Clay. Next time it gets wet from rain, I will wash that crap off as soon as possible.
1 reason why i would never live in california.....
Old 11-13-2009, 01:13 PM

I guess we didn't get to witness the worlds first case of rusting plastic (clearcoat=polyurethane)....bummer.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:30 PM

I got relaxed on waxing my Z28 and had the same type deal happen to me. Only the spots etched in the clear coat. I got most of them out with a buffer and 3M scratch remover. I let the car sit outside and get rained on without wax to protect the clear. The result was some acid rain putting a hurting on my clear.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:26 AM

that'll do it!

Quick Reply: [Paint & Body] Rust Spots on Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS