2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.
View Poll Results: would you buy an RS appearance package?
I wouldnt buy the car without an RS package like Kris Hortons, or Kevin Mcbrides chops
9.42%
I like the idea of an RS appearance package, Im buying a Camaro anyway, Ill see how it looks
78.99%
GM should offer an RS package, however my Camaro will be the recessed grill the concept has
5.07%
I dont want the old RS look on this car
6.52%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

RS, would you put hard earned money down if it was an appearance package

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:20 PM

RS, would you put hard earned money down if it was an appearance package

RS used to mean hidden headlights with doors that closed from the sides, different more flush grille, different darker tail lights with the back up lights removed and got their own spot lower on the tail. It could be a straight 6, an SS or a Z28. It was strictly an appearance package.

I dont think we will see closing doors again but I think the RS returning to its roots is entirely possible. There are two ways that I can think of that it would work.

1.) If you dont have the grille recessed on the sides and you have headlights that are darkened when off like the headlights on the concept it will give the car a 68 RS look

2.) The other way I see doing it is going for a 69 inspired look. rather than having doors that open on the headlights and having something blocking the headlights like the 69, it would be more likely to make 2 or 3 slotted headlights on each side that give the old RS look like Kris Horton's chop with the two sloted headlights if anyone remembers that.

Would an RS version interest you personally as something you would buy with your hard earned dollar and what do you think of this possibility?

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-25-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:58 PM

Re: RS, would you put hard earned money down if it was an appearance package

If they get it to look like that red drawing, I'm in.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Loony
I agree.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Loony
x3
Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 PM

I'd buy an RS just based on the fact that I could own a Z28/RS.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 PM

RS is just an appearence package and nothing more. Never was. Since We agree hidden headlights are out of the question, and slotted headlights are illegal (can't have anything blocking the headlight beam according to the DOT, this includes sitting them behind a widely spaced grille), the question becomes what would an RS package consist of.

The idea of the appearence of the 4th gen Z28 was based on stealth. A base looking car with serious bite. The RS package added ground effects all around and gave it a more racy, "look-at-me" look.

The 3rd gen's RS made a regular Camaro (V6 and V8) look just like the Z28 minus decorative hood scoops.

2nd gen's RS had a full grille and signal lights moved next to the headlights early on. The later "Rally Sport" was a 2 tone paint package trimed by decals.

Creating a different front end for the RS isn't likely to happen, and 2 tone paints haven't caught on yet. What's left is an RS package that would likely be nothing more than ground effects, a rear spoiler, and Z28's rims (SS would still have the best visual rims). If we're lucky, maybe even a different grille texture, but certainly nothing more.

This would be a competitor for the Mustang "Pony Package". It would be a hit with the younger guys (under 25) whose insurence company probally has issues about them buying a 425+ horsepower vehicle, and would prefer the designation "V6" under the engine catagory. This would be just like the RS buyers who bought the 3rd and 4th gen Camaros. A package that costs GM very little to offer, yet gains very high profit margin on. That means you can probally skip the rims in the drawing.

The RS would be a non-starter for the Z28 crowd. Camaro SS is the car of choice by a HUGE margin from Camaro buyers who want a step up from Z28.

ESPECIALLY when adding the RS package to a loaded Z28 puts the price within spitting distance of the SS, so the idea of a Z28/RS is moot.

Last edited by guionM; 08-25-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:23 PM

The RS will be a cool package. You should all get off the hideaway headlight kick though.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:35 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Rally Sport is an appearance option. Period.

However, don't make any assumptions at this point in terms of what appearances COULD include!

(there's that winkie thing going again for those of you who are obsessed with such things!)

(opera windows and padded vinyl top are a definite 'no!')
Old 08-26-2006, 12:27 AM

[QUOTE=guionM]RS is just an appearence package and nothing more. Never was. Since We agree hidden headlights are out of the question, and slotted headlights are illegal (can't have anything blocking the headlight beam according to the DOT, this includes sitting them behind a widely spaced grille), the question becomes what would an RS package consist of.
QUOTE]

um are u sure...then how does the new boss have something blocking the headlight beam
Old 08-26-2006, 08:22 AM

RS being an appearance package that adds GFX, more pronounced spoiler, and different rims are exactly what I want. Whatever trim level I get I want the GFX and Spoiler.

I didn't even care much for the 4th Gens without the GFX. They were a little too blah without them to me.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
RS is just an appearence package and nothing more. Never was. Since We agree hidden headlights are out of the question, and slotted headlights are illegal (can't have anything blocking the headlight beam according to the DOT, this includes sitting them behind a widely spaced grille), the question becomes what would an RS package consist of.
Even if that is true, I can think of a couple ways to get around it. You could always use three smaller rectangular units and stack them with a matte part at the seam... That would cost a good bit, but its the same connector, and you're changing the grille anyway.

[QUOTE=guionM]
The RS would be a non-starter for the Z28 crowd. Camaro SS is the car of choice by a HUGE margin from Camaro buyers who want a step up from Z28.

Im pretty sure most people are assuming a Z28/RS would be noticeably different from a plain RS, or SS.

ESPECIALLY when adding the RS package to a loaded Z28 puts the price within spitting distance of the SS, so the idea of a Z28/RS is moot.
Im pretty sure this is getting into the territory of things that we would all like but wont happen because they are too cost prohibitive. Once this car starts selling like we know it will I think GM should definetly be generous with the investments, otherwise why revive it.

If nothing else V6/V8/V8 should be diffrentiated by more than just badges. An RS package with less substance would even be ok if the content varied every few years.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
RS being an appearance package that adds GFX, more pronounced spoiler, and different rims are exactly what I want. Whatever trim level I get I want the GFX and Spoiler.
If that's what you're hoping for, you'll be disappointed - and most will be relieved.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Rally Sport is an appearance option. Period.

However, don't make any assumptions at this point in terms of what appearances COULD include!

(there's that winkie thing going again for those of you who are obsessed with such things!)

(opera windows and padded vinyl top are a definite 'no!')
I remember some discussions on this topic that make me think an RS package is a likely option. To me, it seems a no-brainer that the option of an RS/SS and an RS/Z28 appearance package should find its way onto the 5th gen option list. It's a natural given the car's design cues.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=JP2005]
Originally Posted by guionM
QUOTE]

um are u sure...then how does the new boss have something blocking the headlight beam
That's not the real Boss, that car isn't factory...it's someone's creation, and those lights are illegal for sale.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Even if that is true, I can think of a couple ways to get around it. You could always use three smaller rectangular units and stack them with a matte part at the seam... That would cost a good bit, but its the same connector, and you're changing the grille anyway.
GM won't invest in a whole new lighting unit just for an appearence package.

Originally Posted by Good PH.D
Im pretty sure most people are assuming a Z28/RS would be noticeably different from a plain RS, or SS.
You could get the RS appearence package on the last Z28. People got the SS instead and it's completely understandable. When a loaded Z28 with an RS package and a base SS are only $30-40 per month apart, and SS holds it's value better, it no surprise.

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Im pretty sure this is getting into the territory of things that we would all like but wont happen because they are too cost prohibitive. Once this car starts selling like we know it will I think GM should definetly be generous with the investments, otherwise why revive it.
At 100,000 per year, with an upper limit of Mustang's 160-175K, there's only so much that's going to happen. With RS being a cheap way to get a fancier Camaro without springing for an SS and without dealing with the Z28's insurence, and most all of them bought on V6 cars, things like unique headlights and new sheetmetal aren't likely.

If nothing else V6/V8/V8 should be diffrentiated by more than just badges. An RS package with less substance would even be ok if the content varied every few years.
I'd expect the Mustang and Firebird approach. Little things. Maybe the addition or change in location of foglights. Different grille. Exhaust tips and/or dual outlets. Ground effects. That would be the extent of it... if we're lucky.

Quick Reply: RS, would you put hard earned money down if it was an appearance package