2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

If you want to know why you won't be able to get T-tops...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:09 PM

Re: If you want to know why you won't be able to get T-tops...

Originally Posted by jawzforlife
Thanks! If they build that one, I would definitely buy it. Without T-Tops, I have a hunch I'll just drop an LS2 stroker in my 4th Gen instead of buying a 5th Gen. But if I can still get T-Tops, that's a whole different story - and while they do look a little strange on the notchback, with the hatch back they look perfect

I'm holding out hope - after all, if Ford could build hatch, notch, and vert fox body stangs, then maybe GM can do the same for the Camaro Only problem I see with that logic is that Ford was spreading the cost of those different body styles across a lot more cars sold - and the Fox platform was in so many different cars that the tooling paid for itself many times over.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:10 PM

OK i'm not gonna quote the hatch picture cuz...scroll up theres pics...

BUT

OH MY F-ING GOD!!!!! THAT IS IT!!! I would sell both my maros, my dad's beamer and my mom's durango to get in that!!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 PM

My god!! How can this small change make this look exactly like a mustang????
Old 01-09-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
My god!! How can this small change make this look exactly like a mustang????
YOU! I WILL COMPLETELY EAT YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. back in the "retro" days...the cars were...eh...a lil simalar...so now that the big 3 are going "retro" they will be similar again...

2. get your head out of your *** and look at the HATCH OMG!!!

3. '09 z28 Ls7
Old 01-09-2006, 03:21 PM

This concept is starting to make me a fan of GM, and what it can do again. To say the least, I'm VERY excited.

Now back on to subject - If the chassis is as solid and strong as it is supposed to be, why couldn't they do a targa option? I for one have never really liked T-Tops. I would way rather have a completely open roof, and I'd also rather have my removable roof come away in one piece, with some kind of engineered holder in the trunk/hatch.

Thoughts?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:22 PM

I like the original concept's hardtop/fastback look better...
Old 01-09-2006, 03:25 PM

well...luckly there's always custom body shops!!!!

I think with this car we're going to see different custom body styles of this car depending on the owner's favorite generation of maro
Old 01-09-2006, 03:26 PM

personally...that back 1/4 SCREAMS 3/4th gen
Old 01-09-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by HybridStorm
personally...that back 1/4 SCREAMS 3/4th gen
well I'd say the rest of the car screams 1st gen
Old 01-09-2006, 04:15 PM

There's no reason they couldn't add T-tops to the new car.
There still is the center bar for support.
And they could cantilever the roof over the rear quarter windows. A small halo support beam could run around the perimeter of the rear part of the roof to transfer the load of the roof down to vertical supports which in turn would transfer the load to the frame.
All of these supports would be hidden between the outer roof layer and headliner and between the outer skin and the interior panel.
It could be done in magnesium for strength, light weight, and cost.

Jaws,
photoshop the actual car with t-tops. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass

Jaws,
photoshop the actual car with t-tops. Thanks.
I just think tops and the small window dont look right together

edit: sorry the modified rear windowis still on this pic, but youget the idea

Old 01-09-2006, 04:42 PM

i was thinking the t-tops, if produced, would go above part of the rear quarter window as well, im sure they could all easily be powered down from the drivers door.

I really like the rear quarter windows, but i would not mind at all to see them go to allow t-tops. The hatch looks just fine on the car, and it would offer more cues from new camaros as well.

PERHAPS The hatch and t-roof could be an option? im probably asking for the world there, but why couldnt it have two different versions of the roof and trunk?

I HAVE FAITH this car will get t-tops some-way-some-how, and thats one way they could pull it off.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 01-09-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
i was thinking the t-tops, if produced, would go above part of the rear quarter window as well, im sure they could all easily be powered down from the drivers door.

I really like the rear quarter windows, but i would not mind at all to see them go to allow t-tops. The hatch looks just fine on the car, and it would offer more cues from new camaros as well.

PERHAPS The hatch and t-roof could be an option? im probably asking for the world there, but why couldnt it have two different versions of the roof?

One problem I see with T-Tops that extend over the rear quarter window is that they just get too big - and won't fit in the 99 mustang-esque mail slot of a trunk opening.

I wonder if it is still feasible and cost effective to build 3 different versions of the same car, like it was in the 80s & 90s - see the Nissan 240SX (Notch and Hatch and 'Vert) and the Fox Stang (Notch, Hatch, 'Vert) for two examples.

Note that I'm not throwing out cars like the Cavalier or the G6 (4 door, 2 door, Vert, and in the case of the cav, Wagon) because I think that's a little different - the 2 door serves a completely different purpose than the wagon, and I would think it's easier to make a business case for something like that.

With the Stang and the 240 SX , they were all 2 door 4 seaters, they just let you pick your roof/trunk configuration.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
I wonder if it is still feasible and cost effective to build 3 different versions of the same car, like it was in the 80s & 90s - see the Nissan 240SX (Notch and Hatch and 'Vert) and the Fox Stang (Notch, Hatch, 'Vert) for two examples.

Note that I'm not throwing out cars like the Cavalier or the G6 (4 door, 2 door, Vert, and in the case of the cav, Wagon) because I think that's a little different - the 2 door serves a completely different purpose than the wagon, and I would think it's easier to make a business case for something like that.

With the Stang and the 240 SX , they were all 2 door 4 seaters, they just let you pick your roof/trunk configuration.
the mustang was one of the cars i was thinking of that had done it in the past...and they didnt even have a reason to like t-tops
Old 01-09-2006, 05:12 PM

What would it look like if the rear quarter windows were filled in with T-tops cut out like the original poster suggested?

Quick Reply: If you want to know why you won't be able to get T-tops...