Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Wheels/tires/etc...

Old 05-20-2004, 03:06 PM

Wheels/tires/etc...

A few questions so try to bare with me or I will end up with no answers!

1. Do most brand name rims hinder performance by weight? or Are there rims that look sweet but are lighter?

2. Tire size and rims...is there a general rule as to what size tire will fit what size rim?

3. Where is a good place to buy combos from?

I am looking to upgrade my tires/wheels so I need to start somewhere.

I know this is kinda a newbie question but I never really learned the wheel part of a car and the search button isnt liking me for some reason...thanks guys.

Last edited by coogsLS1; 05-20-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:23 PM

1:
no...depends on the specific design of the rim. rims like the y2k thin spokes are quite lite. however, going from a y2k rim in 17x9.5 to a 17x10.5 will add weight since they are wider and there is more rubber on the tire. so it's kind of a give take thing.

2:
kindda...there are manufacturers reccomendations...but there are ranges. like an 8" rim is ideal with a 245 tire, 9" with 275, and the 10.5 or 11" rims are also good for 275 OR up to 315s. look in the tire section of the summit or jegs catalog...most of the tires list a reccomended rim size range, as well as tread patch on a specific rim.

3:
depending on the type of wheel. most of the sponsors of the board have wheel/tire combos, or try www.performancewheeloutlet.com or look for the AFS website
Old 05-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Administrator

You might want to post this on the "Wheel & Tire" forum.....
Old 05-21-2004, 01:53 AM

teke, thanks for your help!! Seems like I always end up saving your posts the most!

injuneer, being a moderator you would know more than I would but I didnt want to crowd the w/t forum with a short basic thread. And besides, more people read this forum

thanks again teke, anyone else feel free to fill in
Old 05-21-2004, 02:05 AM

couple more questions

1. what does offset mean?

2. do you run into any issues with a 315 tire? Is it better to go smaller like 305 or lower?

3. Some good brand name tires (mainly for the back and hoosier/mosier doesnt count, unfortunately)?

4. good set up on 220 series z06 rims 17/18" como: front-245/40 rear-315/50????

thanks for any help!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:35 AM

1:
tire rack's illistration of wheel/tire dimensions

offset is basically the distance from the inner lip of the rim, to the surface that bolts against the axle (or brake rotor really). it determines how far the whole rim extends past the end of the axle. a rim with a big offset will tuck into the wheelwell, possibly TOO far and rubbing on the inner part of the well. a short offset will look like a ghetto lowrider with half the wheel extending beyond the outer edge of the wheelwell. this number works in conjunction with the rim width, since an 8" rim has plenty of room on either side for different offsets, however an 11" rim is a tight squeeze, requireing much more exact and specific offset.

2:
on wide rims designed with teh proper offset for the Fbody, 315s dont typically cause problems. occasionally guys will say they have to pound in a little of the inner fender well to prevent rubbing in tight corners or on lowered cars. it seems to be "on and off" as to whether you'll need to do it. but all it requires is a little pounding with a hammer, usually not even noticable when looking at it. a 305 could work, but it is an awkward size, and you wont' find many tires in that width with the proper aspect ratio.

3:
for good wet/dry traction and tread life

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW
Bridgestone Potenza RE750
Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP

i've been running the firestones on the past 2 cars and am EXTREMELY pleased. the dry traction is unreal...use to chirp 4th occasionally...no i can only bark 2nd. and wet traction is awesome, barely feel it unless you hit a really deep puddle.

also look into the Nitto extreme 555s (or something like that) which are supposed to be good tires.

4:
zo6 17x9.5 for front with 275/40/17 tire dia of 25.7"
zo6 18x10.5 for rear with 315/30/18 tire dia of 25.6"
zo6 18x9.5 for rear with 275/35/18 tire dia of 25.6"

the bigger the rim diameter the smaller your aspect ratio must be, the 40, 30 or 35 from those sizes above. on a 16" rim you can use the 50 series. you want to try to match stock tire diameter to keep the wheel from rubbing the fenders and to keep the speedo correct. you also want to keep the dia close front to back or it will throw off the speed sensors and maybe the abs...since it could trick the computer iinto thinking the fronts are turning at a different speed than the rears.

and thanks for the compliment...i've been here a while and am a bottomless well of useless random information
Old 05-21-2004, 06:57 AM

Hey,

Wrong forum, there is a wheel and tire forum

Read this stickies please!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:07 PM

man you are usually quick to notice a wrong forum post, just testing your skills

Search this Thread