Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

want to buy new wheels, help with offset and wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM

want to buy new wheels, help with offset and wheel questions

Hi guys I have a 95 z28 with alloys I believe these are 16x8 with a +55 offset.

So here are my questions

1. am I right in thinking that my offset is +55

2. When I go to buy new wheels, what sizes will fit and look the best/offer the best performance (this is the question I am looking for the most help with)

3. If I just go with 16x8s for my new wheels I should be able to use the tires I already have on their correct? I just bought these tires so Id like to avoid buying more tires if possible. I dont want the place where I get my wheels to try and convince me that I need new tires if I dont. Can you guys give me some knowledge/advice to avoid this from happening?

4. Is there anything important I need to know when buying new wheels besides making sure I get a size that will fit? or more specifically what do I need to know besides height x width and offset?

Last but not least can you guys recommend some nice looking/preforming black rims that will fit my z28? My price range is 1,000 max with tires and balancing and all that good stuff. Thanks for your time I will much appreciate any help.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Re: want to buy new wheels, help with offset and wheel questions

Originally Posted by psycho4r5
Hi guys I have a 95 z28 with alloys I believe these are 16x8 with a +55 offset.

So here are my questions

2. When I go to buy new wheels, what sizes will fit and look the best/offer the best performance (this is the question I am looking for the most help with)

3. If I just go with 16x8s for my new wheels I should be able to use the tires I already have on their correct? I just bought these tires so Id like to avoid buying more tires if possible. I dont want the place where I get my wheels to try and convince me that I need new tires if I dont. Can you guys give me some knowledge/advice to avoid this from happening?

4. Is there anything important I need to know when buying new wheels besides making sure I get a size that will fit? or more specifically what do I need to know besides height x width and offset?

Last but not least can you guys recommend some nice looking/preforming black rims that will fit my z28? My price range is 1,000 max with tires and balancing and all that good stuff. Thanks for your time I will much appreciate any help.
not sure on the technical stuff BUT....

I would go with Zr-1, C5, or Z06 rims... go to this site
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-for-Camaro/c304226/

they have GREAT replica stuff.. looks like OEM w/o the price lol!

I always like putting some type of GM wheel on a Camaro (corvette or camaro rims)

good luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Ya I love the way z06 wheels look I wanted those but i didn't think I would be able to afford them until you showed me that set. Are these wheels just as reliable as the GM version or should I be worried buying replicas?

Still need help with my questions though, thanks guys

Last edited by psycho4r5; 04-26-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Administrator

That is the offset for a stock 8" wide wheel. But the offset you need varies with the wheel width. There is a post in the street wheels/tires FAQ explaining the recommended offset for each width wheel, and where that offset put the inner and outer edge of the tire relative to the internal fender liner and the fender lip.

Generally, a wider wheel will perform better. I wouldn't use less than a 9.5" wide wheel, all around. "look best" is totally in the eyes of the beholder. No one can tell you what you will like. Some people like 20's, others hate them, some people like skinnies in the front and wide tires in the rear for a "drag" look.

Sure... but what size tires did you buy? I wouldn't use anything less than a 245/50-16. There's not a lot of choice in high performance 16" tires. That's why moving up to 17's make a lot of sense. 18's are good, but anything above that is strictly for looks, not for performance. The solid rear axle used on these cars does not take kindly to 20" wheels with rubber band tires.

It's diameter, width, offset and bolt circle (5x4.75" or 120.65mm).
Old 04-26-2011, 10:52 PM

ok great thanks for your help. I pretty much understand everything you said but I am still not getting offset completely. Is it the tire or the wheel that has the offset spec? if it is tire then does every tire have a preset offset or is it something that is determined upon installation?

Sorry if some of these questions seem kind of dumb I am pretty good with cars and engines but wheels and tires are new to me.

Last edited by psycho4r5; 04-26-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 PM

Ya I love the way z06 wheels look I wanted those but i didn't think I would be able to afford them until you showed me that set. Are these wheels just as reliable as the GM version or should I be worried buying replicas?

Still need help with my questions though, thanks guys
the replica ones are as good from what I have heard... A LOT of people use that site and they are great. I was going to order the C5 ones but I got the 2001 "SS" rims instead

the site is legit and prices are great....just look around on google and look at the reviews of OE Wheels. there good.

besides if you want the real OEM rims you are going to spend a LOT more then 1,000!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Administrator

ok great thanks for your help. I pretty much understand everything you said but I am still not getting offset completely. Is it the tire or the wheel that has the offset spec? if it is tire then does every tire have a preset offset or is it something that is determined upon installation?

Sorry if some of these questions seem kind of dumb I am pretty good with cars and engines but wheels and tires are new to me.
The term "offset" applies to the wheel. It is explained in the FAQ. It is the difference between the location of the face of the wheel hub that bolts to the axle hub and the true centerline of the wheel. A large positive offset moves the wheel deeper in the wheel well, and moves the center section of the wheel closer to the outside of the wheel. A large negative offset moves the wheel outwards in the wheel well, and produces a deep "dish" on the front of the wheel. In essence, offset controls whether the wheel sticks outside of the fender, or has so much backspace that it runs the inner fender liners and the suspension.