Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Motegi Racing Wheels 18's: HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Question Motegi Racing Wheels 18's: HELP!!

I'm wanting to run this set up on my car:

18x8 front 245/40/18

18x9 rear 275/35/18

Here is the link to the wheels:

http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...8#manufacturer

I'm concerned about the off set. The wheels have an off set of 35mm. I want the same look as a stock Z28 with 16x8 wheels (or as close as possible). I don't want the tires to stick out beyond the fenders and obviously I don't want them to rub the inner fenders. The "sticky link" didn't exactly answer my question on the off set.

Can someone point me in the right direction and let me know if I'm going to run into issues?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Re: Motegi Racing Wheels 18's: HELP!!

You do realize that your car has a 5 x 4.75" (120.65mm) bolt circle, and that is not the same as the 5 x 120mm shown for the wheels you linked?

What part of the FAQ is unclear:

WHEEL WIDTH:
8.0":

Tire edge outside fender = +13mm
Tire edge slightly inside fender = +29mm
Tire edge matches stock SS/WS6 wheel = +38mm
Tire edge matches stock wheel = +55mm

9.0":

Tire edge outside fender = +25mm
Tire edge slightly inside fender = +42mm
Tire edge matches stock SS/WS6 wheel = +50mm
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Fred-

I did not post this thread as a rhetorical question and be no means asked for ridicule from a "Super Moderator".

But, I'm glad you asked. And since you mentioned the bolt pattern let me point out your comments in the "stinky link" paragraph/page #5: (incase you forgot)

"Q. Can I use 5 X 120mm bolt pattern wheels on my 3rd or 4th Gen?

A. Depends.

The 5 x 120mm bolt pattern is commonly used on BMW's. The wheels will bolt on your car, but they will not bolt on correctly. There has been significant debate here as to whether they increase the risk of broken studs or a wheel coming off. Some people have posted they run that bolt pattern "with no problems", others have cited instances of broken studs and loosened lugs. I (Injuneer) personally do not recommend it. Some disagree with me. In the event of a serious accident, the fact you were using the incorrect wheels on the car might expose you to increased liability, whether the wheels caused the accident or not. I recognize this is a very conservative viewpoint - I just want you to be aware of the fact it is not a simple "yes" or "no" issue. CamaroZ28.com can not recommend or assume liablilty for use of the incorrect bolt pattern."

Your answer is of zero help. How can you bolt a wheel on a car incorrectly? Also, for there to be a debate there must be two opposing sides; which we have. If one group says the bolt pattern works and one group says it doesn't, then who's right? Furthermore, unless you have extensive experience dealing with Tort Law (you can Google that one) I'm not sure why you mention "liability".

As for what is unclear with the off set:

Obviously, I'm new to wheels/rims and was simply asking for help. Thus the title of my link. If my question was so easy, why not just answer my question and move on?

I want the Motegi wheels on my Camaro and I want the off set as close to the stock off set as possible. The Motegi comes in a 35mm and 45mm off set. Which should I go with?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Administrator

OK.... if you took my post as "ridicule" I'll back off and leave it for others to help you. It was not in any way intended as ridicule.... it was a simple question.

Lose the attitude.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:59 PM

u can jam the 5x120mm on there bc the holes on the wheels are not the EXACT same size as the studs. they will be off center and when the lugnuts go on they will press againts 1 side of the wheel stud hole instead of the entire hole center like they should. of course u can torque them down and put stress on the studs to flex or bend. if youre cool with that
then i guess 5x120mm fits

i remeber having a buddy with an m3 when i was 18 and had my old z28. his wheels DID NOT fit right on mine at all without excessive force to get them to center
Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 PM

Thanks Vangill, that is the information I was looking for....first hand experience. I've read similar issues with bad wheel vibrations when running the 5x120mm bolt pattern. I'll stay clear.