Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Driver's side rear wheel stuck, please help!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Driver's side rear wheel stuck, please help!

I'm trying to swap out the "SS" center caps on my ZR1s for some C4 ZR1 center caps I purchased on ebay, but when I got to my driver's side rear wheel, I discovered it to be legitimately stuck. I've tried everything I know to do, pound it off with a rubber mallet, kick it off, I even loosened the lug nuts and tried moving the car just a few feet to get it loose but that didn't even work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Re: Driver's side rear wheel stuck, please help!

Appears you may have failed to open up the rear wheel hub holes to match the oversize axle hubs that were used on the 93 - 96 F-Bodys. This is covered in the FAQ at the top of the page.

At this point, its a matter of leverage, and finding a way to apply it. Once you get the wheel off, inspect the hub hole for cracking.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM

Thanks, Fred. I'll check that out.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 AM

With my first car I bought WS-6 wheels direct from SLP- the rear wheels didn't fit at all and needed to be enlarged to fit. There was no way they would have gone on without grinding out the hubs unless someone took the time to tighten each lug nut half a turn at a time since the rim just rocked back and forth on the hub itself- and even then I doubt the studs would have taken the strain.

I would try securely jacking up the car enough that the tire is just off the ground, and using something with a little more...heft. Loosen the lugnuts and try going a little 'redneck'...whenever I find a wheel isn't coming loose by normal methods, using another tire mounted on a rim and use that to hit the tire still on the car- should only take a couple hits and should come free.

Yes its redneck, but its a last resort I use whenever the typical methods don't work.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM

I just blocked my car up so the wheel was just off the ground. Then I would lay under the rear bumper and give the tire a good swift kick. Rotate the wheel about 12" at a time and give it another kick. A few rotations of the wheel and a few good kicks the wheel came off.

I would only loosen the lugs about 1/8" at a time though. Once I took all the lugs off and gave the wheel a good kick and when the wheel decided to come loose it ended up wrecking the darn threads on the studs. Now I only loosen the lugs up so I can see just a 1/8" gap and give it the redneck treatment.

Last edited by browning12; 05-21-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks, guys. You all have been very helpful. I think I'll go ahead and try to "redneck" it with one of my stock rims.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 AM

Update, the redneck trick didn't work. The car is currently having some sort of fuel issue, causing it to stall after roughly 15-20 min. I'm just going to work on getting that corrected in the meantime so the car can get roadworthy again, then I'll probably just take it to discount tire and see if they can get it off.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 AM

A bit off topic but; Are those SS centercaps chrome by chance? Wanna sell em? Shoot me a PM
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 PM

My wheels did the same exact thing...I'll try to explain the redneck way I removed mine...get 2 2-4s a harmonic balanced puller and some ratchet straps......place the puller centered with the 2 pieces of wood over top of it...ratchet strap the boards to the spokes on the wheel.....so you have the boards stooping the puller....turn it till either the wheel pops off or the 2-4s start giving then beat the wheel off from the backside....not sure if any of this makes sence but this was the only way my wheels would come off....any questions email me at spcearle@aol.com