Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Caring for Polished Aluminum Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 PM

Caring for Polished Aluminum Rims

To all you guys with corvette rims out there!

I have a set of mint, C5 Y2k polished aluminum rims and I'm wondering what's the best way to take care of them to keep them from pitting?

Should I wash them as much as possible? Wax? is there a special product that cleans them better?

Or should I spray brake dust and clean the brakes as best as possible or would this mess up the rims? I'm nervous because I'm already starting to see some minor pitting and I don't want to let them get bad
Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Re: Caring for Polished Aluminum Rims

Do they have clearcoat? My AFS polished ZR1's are clearcoated, 13 years old and look like new with minimal care. I also have uncoated Weld Pro-Stars and they stay clean and bright with Mothers (Incredible) Billet Metal Polish.

Neither set of wheels are driven in bad weather, though.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Yeah they do have a clear coat. My camaro is more my daily driver so they see bad weather from time to time but I think the brake dust is more of an issue as far as pitting.

I saw a really rough set of c5 aluminum rims and I don't want to let mine to get that way.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 PM

My camaro doesn't see any bad weather and I have chrome c5 wheels my car is extremely clean
notice " waxer " in my signature .... mothers , 3M , eagle one all have products that works well
BE careful using hard detergents on a clear coated wheels some chemicals can eat the clear coat off
and may cause oxidation white spots !!!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM

Two good options I've found:
#1 - Opti-Coat - Permanent clear coat - But Wheels must be totally cleaned and prepped extremely well first & fairly costly for one set of wheels
#2 - Poor Boys Wheel Sealant - Non-Permanent - Cheaper Option - I've actually got this on my Enkei Rims on my Subaru and it works as advertised - Just did it this year though no not sure on how long it lasts just yet, but so far so good (2 months)