Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Big wheels and the hate

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Big wheels and the hate

On this forum I see a tone of people quickly showing hate towards 20 inch wheels and the little tires that come with them. They all say you can't go as fast and you won't get good traction and I wonder if any of you ever paid attention to rim and tire sizes of super cars? on average they all run 19 inch wheels and 30 series tires! Being slow should no longer be mentioned when someone ask what do you guys think about 20 inch wheels on mycamaro
Old 12-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Re: Big wheels and the hate

For drag racing a 20" wheel with a short tire will not hook as well as a 15" wheel with a tall tire. Super cars DO NOT hook well.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Yeah, it basically depends on what you're doing with your car. If you're straight-lining it, you'll lose out with having larger rims. But, you have less-sidewall flex with them, so it helps cornering over say, a 15" with a large side. It's a difference between traction in a line, and grip in the corners.

I don't race mine, so I just go with whatever looks good, but not over the top or out of proportion.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Steve69SS396
For drag racing a 20" wheel with a short tire will not hook as well as a 15" wheel with a tall tire. Super cars DO NOT hook well.
I can't think of one 9 second car at the track with 20" wheels, but I can think of hundreds with 15" wheels

That being said, cars aren't just about drag racing, and the car owner should choose the wheels they he or she likes best and not worry about what everyone else thinks.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Pointing out that a 20" wheel will cause a harsh ride, may expose the rim to serious damage from potholes, and noting that a 20" wheel with a paper thin tire on a solid rear axle car like a 4th Gen F-Body will produce poor handling is not "hate".... it's a simple statement of "fact".

"Supercars" have sophitsicated independent suspensions that can supply the compliance that a paper thin sidewall can't supply. They work great with those suspensions. But the 4th Gen F-Body uses a very archaic, outdated rear suspension, that works a lot better with a decent amount of sidewall, as provided by a 17" or 18" wheel.

20" wheels on a solid rear axle make no sense at all, unless it's just for show.

If you have a 5th Gen Camaro with IRS, it's a whole different story.

Get your "facts" straight.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 PM

unlike most people I have had the luxury of actually driving a couple super cars and amg mercedes wich I think are the biggest sleeper cars ever and you can research how fast they are if you dont know. super cars with the expressive suspension still ride like **** and are no better then my fourth gen on michigan roads, the only difference is in the corners. If four, five and six hundred horsepower cars are doing zero to sixty inthree seconds and quarter mile times we strive for on 30 series tires then they can't be that bad now can they? I drive my car daily and race on weekends
Old 12-22-2011, 02:19 AM

Obviously you have not driven a super car because if you did you would know that they ride just as bad as my fourth gen over bumps. super cars do zero to sixty and quarter mile times at times we strive for and they do it on tires that you all think suck. I drive my car daily and race on the weekends and yes I gave to dodge michigan potholes and yes riding on 35 series is worth it! My facts are strait numbers dont lie
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 AM

Come to michigan and race me for cash! Take off the drags and put fat street tires on and I will keep my so called gaudy wheels and low pros on and win. Sure there is always someone faster but in an organized street race on street tires its a different story. Fastest car I every raced was a heavy *** amg mercedes that also had low pros on and is by far the fastest factory built sleeper I know of.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Administrator

What does the handling and ride of a "super car" have to do with any of this? 20" wheels on a 4th Gen will not handle well. No one said a "super car" can't accelerate well. No one said a "super car" has a comfortable ride. No one here cares about "super cars". People are simply pointing out that a paper thin sidewall tire on a solid rear axle car is not going to produce good 1/4 mile times. They are also pointing out that the ride isn't going to be very comfortable, which you are confirming with your vast experience driving "super cars".

Now you are upset because someone said you have gaudy wheels? I don't recall anyone saying that. You are seriously paranoid. If you'd like to have a mature discussion on matters relative to the Camaro, please continue. If you want to continue these pointless rants, your account will be closed.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Paranoia? I think its his first beer.

Last edited by pgerst; 12-22-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Winners circleZ
Come to michigan and race me for cash! Take off the drags and put fat street tires on and I will keep my so called gaudy wheels and low pros on and win. Sure there is always someone faster but in an organized street race on street tires its a different story. Fastest car I every raced was a heavy *** amg mercedes that also had low pros on and is by far the fastest factory built sleeper I know of.
Go to Michigan to roll race a 13 second car!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM

I used super cars as an example that good straight line performance can be achieved on large wheels and thin tires and that is the same reason I mentioned the amg . When I said gaudy I wasnt taping about this thread but countless others where everyone bashes anyone who has any wheel bigger then 18s. I'm not paranoid and my juiced lt4 converted z28 is alot faster then 13 second sir.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Winners circleZ
my juiced lt4 converted z28 is alot faster then 13 second sir.
My '69 Camaro is a little quicker than 13's also.

Name:  IMG_5775-1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  7.69 MB
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Thats sweet!!!! probably a lil scarry to drive lol mine doesn't grab as good as that to bring my front wheels off the ground. If I made my car any faster I dont think it would be safe! I race at a air port, its alot more fun then a typical drag strip
Old 12-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Wtf!!!! So because you dont like my opinion I'm at risk of getting my account deleted? What ever happen to freedom of speech???? I'm not a yes man or a follower. I have opinions that everyone may not agree with but thats life and it would be unfair to limit this forum to people who only agree with each other and think alike.

Quick Reply: Big wheels and the hate