V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Problem with my lights!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 08:45 AM

Problem with my lights!

Last night my neighbor called me to say that my lights were on so I thought I must have left them on and went outside to turn them off. As I open my door to turn the lights off, I noticed that the switch was in the off position. It's not my headlights but my turn signals and tail lights. Also, my instrument panel is on and as I open the door, I get the fast dinging sound to remind me to turn them off...but of course, I can't. My immediate fix is to keep a 10MM wrench handy, unhook the negative battery terminal when I park, and hook it back up before I need to drive. Anyone have any ideas to what the problem could be? Fuses seem to be in good shape but then if it were a fuse, I'd think that the light wouldn't work at all. One more thing, recently we had a tropical storm where I believe something got wet and caused my headlights to act up. They aren't making the gear grinding noise. They actually aren't getting any current to them. I think I need to replace the black box behind the driver's light which sends power to the light motors. I saw a little bit of smoke coming from it a few weeks ago. Could that be the root of my problem? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:17 PM

Re: Problem with my lights!

This sounds silly but you know the little thing to the left of the headlight switch that rolls up and down. Have you tried rolling it down until you hear it click. Thats what it sounds like to me.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:25 PM

It's definitely not that. The light switch is off and the roller switch is not clicked on. I spoke with my bud at the Pontiac dealership and he said it sounds like the power headlight relay or whatever it's called. It's the little box behind the driver headlight and the underhood fuse block. I'll have to replace both light motors as well. I believe I'm going to try the insurance route to pay for repairs as it does seem to be due to the tropical storm we just experienced a few weeks ago. Any more ideas? Anyobody?
Old 09-16-2004, 07:29 PM

I might have misunderstood somewhere... Are your headlights coming on period? are they rising and lowering from their off position when you town them on or off?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:09 PM

the lights on my sister's lumina used to go on and off mysteriously, it went to a few differnet car electronic specalists before we solved our problem... the solution... selling the car

good luck finding the source of the problem