V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

V-6 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM

Smile V-6 Rebuild

Hey everyone!

Ive been reading these forums for years and finally decided to make the commitment and join up!

I have had a 96 Z28 since 2008 and I love it I have used alot of your guy's advice on here to fix it when it broke and upgrade it when i had the time and money. so thank you for that

I was mulling around craigslist the other day and found a 97 RS 3.8L (3800) for only $400. Turns out the guy was selling it because it wasnt running anymore and he didnt know why. (his wife ended up buying a new car anyway) so I said eff it and bought it. Turns out the fuel pump was just dead. I cut the trap door and replaced it, also added a new fuel filter just like I did my Z (Learned that little trick on these forums) and got it up and running and runs fine I might add so Im pretty happy I got not a steal but a pretty damn good deal

Heres the thing shes at 199K miles so I figure I only have a matter of time before she blows up in my face. Im not looking to do a swap or anything crazy to it i have the Z if I feel the need for speed. I just think Id like to do a rebuild on the V-6 now just to be proactive.

So my question is where is a good place to find a rebuild kit for the motor? Im not looking for anything super just wanting to keep it healthy, learning more about my car and avoid major issues in the future. (I plan on making this my daily driver and just running the Z when I feel like showing off

Alternatively does anyone have a suggestions on maybe what I should/could replace instead of a rebuild? Im not wanting to be cheap about it but im not exactly rich either LoL.

Thank guys! sorry for the long post, Just happy too finally be a real member.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 AM

Re: V-6 Rebuild

You can check with Autozone or Advanced Auto. Can't remember which one had the complete kit, but for my 94 3.4L the kit was just under $600. That included just about everything.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks cracky!

I will look into it today. real quick for a rebuild kit what are the main parts I should be looking for to make sure are in the kit? I found a couple site with rebuild kits. Can you or someone tell me if this one would be good?

97-02 Camaro/Firebird 3.8L 231 V6 12V engine rebuild kit EK3186M

Thanks!

Last edited by chevyfanboy; 07-13-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: broken link
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM

By the way heres an update....

Replaced Fuel pump with a walbro 255LPH (trap door method)
replaced fuel lines
replaced fuel filter
had injectors cleaned

Car starts right up

After running for 20 minutes or so I got the "check gauges" and low oil pressure issue So im draining the oil pan and going to bang on it to see if its the sending unit thing that seems to happen alot and take it from there.

Last edited by chevyfanboy; 07-13-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Cool!

3800 engines tend to last well beyond 200k. Several sensors will need to be replaced soon if they weren't already. Probably the most common "death" of these engines occurs when the head gaskets go at 225-250k. More often they get retired in running condition because they body they live in has turned to rust. Collapsed lifters happen too, especially on cars that have been neglected.

I've never known an unmodified, NA 3800 to have bottom-end issues of any kind.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Thanks! Ive been doing alot of reading and thats one of the things i keep coming across is about how "bulletproof" these motors are. I do have some updates though. So the low oil pressure problem was due to the fact that the housing around my oil pressure sensor was cracked and it was leaking oil dramatically. So i had to go to the salvage yard and pull an oil filter adapter to replace mine. I havent had a chance to put it on though so in the meantime i did what another member did and plugged it with a bolt and jb welded it shut. This is only a temp. Solution till i have the time to put on the new adapter. The issue with it starting and then shutting down violently was the main fuel line inside the tank from the fuel pump was coming off. I replaced it and it stopped dying the check guages was solved by replacing the plugs (NGK) and the wires (MSD) now she runs like a freaking champ so i just might hold off on that v6 rebuild after all. And besides i ebded up getting a spare motor for cheap so if all else fails ill be learning how to swap in a camaro lol.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Mod Bug: Bzzzzzzzt Buuzzzzzzzzzz... Sppppssst spsst - Hey! You! How would you like a 4.3L stroker kit that'll turn heads from people not believing its possible that was a V6? While you're at it, we can throw on a cheap turbo kit and you'll be in the 10's in no time! If you want something more sturdy, then 4.8's and 5.3's are a dime a dozen and you can swap in over the weekend with LS platform material running neck and neck with LT1's and get this, these motor's'll last the rest of your life!

Just sayin yo!!!

Bzzzzzz bzzzzzz !!!

Me: Ok seriously if you wanna keep it stock just swap in a rebuilt long block from Autozone or Advanced Auto, less trouble. That or just grab a low mileage one from a front wheel drive vehicle for like $400 and stip it down to the block and you're good to go.

P.S. - My 3.8 blew up at about 187k miles. It had problems starting for months and was eating oil like candy, coolent aswell. I drove home one day and my hood suddenly just errutped into smoke and next thing I know I park and find a pool of oil all over the ground. Im not sure what happened to it but I swapped in a 5.3L motor and am not looking back.

The MAIN thing that is prone on these cars is the intake gasket, and the coolent elbows behind the alternator. Infact I highly recommend you change the coolent elbows right now. (I had one that went out and thought it was a gasket but didnt realize those existed) they're so common they're in the fix-it section in autozone for only $4.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-11-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Cool!

3800 engines tend to last well beyond 200k. Several sensors will need to be replaced soon if they weren't already. Probably the most common "death" of these engines occurs when the head gaskets go at 225-250k. More often they get retired in running condition because they body they live in has turned to rust. Collapsed lifters happen too, especially on cars that have been neglected.

I've never known an unmodified, NA 3800 to have bottom-end issues of any kind.
You now know of a N/A, unmodified 3.8 that grenaded hard! Split the block in half and everything! Was in a 1997 firebird I bought. Replaced the whole motor for 700.00 with one that looked rebuilt.

The car actually ran with motor like this as well. Guaranteed it never saw boost or nitrous

Name:  aaaaaaaaaaaaa004_zpsffd81a85.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  195.8 KB

Name:  aaaaaaaaaaaaa006_zps567e81e9.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  aaaaaaaaaaaaa015_zpsdeb5a504.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  104.4 KB

Last edited by Jeffs1997; 09-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs1997
You now know of a N/A, unmodified 3.8 that grenaded hard! Split the block in half and everything! Was in a 1997 firebird I bought. Replaced the whole motor for 700.00 with one that looked rebuilt.

The car actually ran with motor like this as well. Guaranteed it never saw boost or nitrous
awww snap! thats crazy, i sure hope that doesnt end up happening to me lol. ive been taking it easy on her though, i went ahead the other day and replaced all the vaccum hoses, connectors, elbows, etc... I can def. tell its running a little bit smoother. ive always noticed my z28 has rediculously good power, so when i got this 3800 i kept telling myself not to expect much, but ive gotta say, when I open her up its not horrible low end seems a little slow but once i get up thereim a little bit more impressed than i thought i would be. oh yea, i plastidipped my hood yesterday because my clear was peeling realy bad and it was bugging me and ive gotta say it came out great, im extremely happy.