V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Replace head gasket or replace engine...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Unhappy Replace head gasket or replace engine...

I've got a 97' Camaro with the 3.8l V6 with 210,000 miles.

I just got the car about 3 weeks ago, and it ran great (just a leaky muffler, and in need of some interior tlc and some body work).

When I got it I checked the coolant and it was full, but I didn't think to check the mix. We've had really cold weather the last few day/nights (down to -4), and the coolant froze. I didn't know this and it ran for about 30 seconds before blowing the belt off, found that the water pump was completely frozen. I put it in the garage to thaw overnight. The next morning the water pump would turn, so I put the new belt on, started the car and it ran and sounded fine. I checked the oil while it was running and it was milky. Turned it off and checked the radiator for oil, there was none there. The freeze plugs didn't blow out, and there is no leaking oil or coolant under the car.

From what I can tell, it is the head gasket. But I'm not sure if it is worth it to replace the head gasket when the engine could go any time.

So I'm looking for some advice on how long these engines can last, would I be better off just replacing the engine?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Re: Replace head gasket or replace engine...

Too many unknowns at this point and it's already fairly high mileage, so I'd recommend replacing the engine.
Just a few months ago, I got one from a 2009 Buick with 44k on it for $550 from a local salvage yard. I see them advertised all over the place under 100k miles for ~$500-$600.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Yeah, I'm leaning toward a new engine. I'm going to have it diagnosed today or tomorrow.

If it's the gasket I may try to do it myself, it would cost about 2k to have it done. Though if it is the engine, I will have it done, I don't have an engine lift or anything like that. The price doesn't seem to bad, about 4k+/-.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Replace the engine, you probably cracked the block when it froze.

Remember any series II or III from a FWD car wit fit and they are much cheaper.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:39 PM

The mechanic told me that, mdenz. He is going to call sometime tomorrow and let me know what we are looking at cost wise and option wise.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by chasejoker
Yeah, I'm leaning toward a new engine. I'm going to have it diagnosed today or tomorrow.

If it's the gasket I may try to do it myself, it would cost about 2k to have it done. Though if it is the engine, I will have it done, I don't have an engine lift or anything like that. The price doesn't seem to bad, about 4k+/-.
Both 2k for a gasket replacement and 4k for engine replacement are INSANE amounts!
Like I said, $550 for a fwd Buick/Pontiac engine.
Swapping of components/accessories and R&R was done in 5 evenings in the garage. about 15 to 18 hours. A real mechanic with all the proper facilities/tools could do it quicker. That's hardly worth $3k+ in labor!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by IowaSS
Both 2k for a gasket replacement and 4k for engine replacement are INSANE amounts!
Like I said, $550 for a fwd Buick/Pontiac engine.
Swapping of components/accessories and R&R was done in 5 evenings in the garage. about 15 to 18 hours. A real mechanic with all the proper facilities/tools could do it quicker. That's hardly worth $3k+ in labor!
Don't want to hijack the thread, but if a FWD 3.8 motor from a Buick/Pontiac can be swapped into a RWD car, couldn't the supercharger from a GTP/Regal GS be swapped into a 2002 Camaro with the 3.8? My buddy has a 3.8 Camaro, and I suggest the idea, but everyone says that because the supercharged motor is in a FWD configuration, it won't bolt onto the Camaro. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from possible clearance issues, shouldn't the Camaro's block be the same as the Pontiac/Buick's, just mounted different ways?

PM me if a long explanation is required!

Thanks-Nick
Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nickster 7
Don't want to hijack the thread, but if a FWD 3.8 motor from a Buick/Pontiac can be swapped into a RWD car, couldn't the supercharger from a GTP/Regal GS be swapped into a 2002 Camaro with the 3.8? My buddy has a 3.8 Camaro, and I suggest the idea, but everyone says that because the supercharged motor is in a FWD configuration, it won't bolt onto the Camaro. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from possible clearance issues, shouldn't the Camaro's block be the same as the Pontiac/Buick's, just mounted different ways?

PM me if a long explanation is required!

Thanks-Nick
The longblocks are the same, but the intake on the FWD motors has the throttle body on the rear of the motor. There is no room in the Fbodys for a throttle body there.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3
The longblocks are the same, but the intake on the FWD motors has the throttle body on the rear of the motor. There is no room in the Fbodys for a throttle body there.
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. Will let my buddy with the 2002 Camaro know!