V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

OMG i'm changing my spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:50 AM

Re: OMG i'm changing my spark plugs

same here i gotta get mine done, my Y87 misfires really bad. where did you guys go to get your plugs/wires.. just to autozone? or is there a better choice online?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hedzilla
you have a 99, itll be simple for you, you have tubular manifolds. For us pre 98 people, its a lot harder.
It will be just as hard for him, tubular manifolds didn't come till 00

For the original poster, I feel your pain... I was under my 97 for two days trying to do a tuneup. The middle and front plug on the passenger side and front plug on the driverside you take out from the top. The remaining three will have to be taken out from the bottom. The easiest ones are on the driverside, took me 15 mins to replace those. The passenger side is going to be a PITA, ESPECIALLY the plug in the middle. Throw the swivel on from the bottom, you're literally going to have to stand on the engine with some exstensions and a bar to connect it and take it out (or atleast I did). Also MAKE SURE you route your wires correctly (off the manifolds) or you'll QUICKLY find yourself back under the car! Also what on earth are you trying to do removing the O2 sensors?! Leave those alone, they have nothing to do with blocking space between the spark plugs. Removing old O2's can be fragile so breaking them is MUCH easier... You don't want to come out of pocket an extra $100 now do ya?

Originally Posted by bl4z3d
same here i gotta get mine done, my Y87 misfires really bad. where did you guys go to get your plugs/wires.. just to autozone? or is there a better choice online?
You CAN go to autozone although there are better choices online... It just depends on what you're using the car for... I'm personally using my Y87 as a daily driver so Bosch 2's and Bosch 8MM wires worked fine for me...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:18 PM

HAHA! You guys suck, or maybe I'm just skinny and am not afraid to get my hands all cut up. I did mine in 45 minutes when I had the log manifolds on there. I really messed up my hands but its all good. Now that I have headers its nothing
Old 06-06-2005, 12:42 PM

Yea I thought the tubular manifolds didnt come on until '00
Old 06-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Oh, i didnt know tubulars werent until 2000. I thought they were in all 98+ body styles.

Anyway, for those of you that said it took 2 days and stuff, youve gotta be kidding me. My first try, it took me two and a half hours, and that includes a fuel filter swap, a new PCV valve, all plugs, and all wires, and an oil change.

My second time, i used an emergency jack and minimum tools in my apt parking lot at school, and it took me about 40 minutes.

It aint that hard, you just gotta know how to do it.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 PM

I wish I had the tubulars on mine lol
Old 06-06-2005, 11:49 PM

just get headers
Old 06-07-2005, 12:57 PM

It's not that hard to change plugs on V6. You just need good socket and extensions. Take your time, put car on ramps. Pay close attention to routing wires, so you'll not have any misfire problems later. Put anti-seize on plugs, so next time plugs will come out easier.

edit: WD40 do very little help in loosing things, PB-Blaster is much better stuff for this.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM

I have a 99 3.8 camaro and I always struggle with the plugs. My record time is 6 hours. Maybe cause I have fat hands. I called a mechanic and they charge about 300 bucks with an estimated time of 7 hours. Is that reasonable or are they trying to hussle me?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 PM

Wow i just realized this thread is 8 years old.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM

That's okay, I'm viewing this old thread too...LOL. Got a 97 with a 3.8 that I plan to change plugs in shortly. Ordered ACDelco Irridiums, 41-101's. Apparently they are the best option from everywhere I've read

As far as what the shop wants to charge you, I think 7 hours is pretty excessive for a bunch of trained mechanics that do this all day long, everyday. They told me $150 for labor here, which is probably about right, and that was from a Chevy Dealership Repair, and dealerships are usually a bit high. The advantage of using a dealership repair though, is that they have likely done the the exact repair on your exact car before, and are likely to be faster, and get it right.

If you have a repair shop do it, I recommend get your own plugs for them to install, as it is actually usually cheaper for the same plugs. I am getting my ACDelco Irridiums 41-101 from Amazon new, for about $6 per plug.... the shop wanted $10 per plug, and while I do have to pay shipping for my $6 per plug, I don't have to pay tax. Hence, you will save.

That said, I am planning to just get the few extra tools and make sure I have the right extensions for the job (I don't have a swivel, and I don't think I have a 1" extension), and do it myself. It will suck, but I think it will be worth it. On the other hand, if I had the extra money, without a place it needed to be spent already... I'd probably pay to have it done for the $150 labor. So I'd say, if you can afford to have someone reliable do it, that won't rip you off, have them do it. If you have replaced plugs in cars before, and the only thing that makes you squeamish, is because of the placement of these, and you are on a tight budget, I'd say do what I am doing. All these guys say it's a pain, but none of them failed and had to take tow it to a shop instead of finish the job... so it's doable... it just sucks..LOL.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Hopefully I won't change my mind about the above statement, after I do this myself...LOL

If you do try to do this yourself, I also suggest doing what I am doing right now. I have a word document open, and I am cutting and pasting every suggestion and instruction, as well as recommended tools needed, and just tips into it. Under heads of "instructions", "tools", "Advice". Organize it all, save it. No need to reinvent a well oiled proceedure, which seems to have worked for everyone here
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by justjasnme
Wow i just realized this thread is 8 years old.
LOL! And I posted in it 8 years ago

It's really not that bad if you have a skinny hands. With big hands it's quest for glory. You can always ask your gf/wife to help you Do yourself a favor and also change the wires, that can make a HUGE difference.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 PM

the plugs are a piece of cake, you just need a swivel, a flex head raqchet and a complete set of extensions., really I did them in about 30 minutes all from the top, no need to get under the car. the o2's are also easy, note that you need a O2 Sensor socket for the sensors.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 AM

On my 97 found it painless to do 3 after o2 sensor was removed, 4 after manifold heat shield removed, the rest piece of cake.

Quick Reply: OMG i'm changing my spark plugs