V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

need info on 3100 sfi

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 AM

need info on 3100 sfi

Not an F-body but this is my home away from home so thought i'd ask somebody here. Just picked up a 98 Malibu to replace the 99 I4 that was wrecked. Its a V6 with a broke cam, I picked up a 95 3100 sfi to swap in for dirt cheap.

I know I have to change the upper intake and egr, I got a threaded nipple for the lower intake heater hose, I gotta change the knock sensor and I think the cts. Im reusing the 98 injectors/rail, I gotta change front accy brackets, a/c compressor looks the same. front exhaust manifold is the same part number, the crossover pipe fits the 95 motors manifolds, anybody know if the back manifold from the 95 will work on the 98, bolt to the exhaust and the 98s o2 sensor fit? If so I need to change the O2 sensor. Anything else I missed that anyone knows of? Anything else that may cause a problem? Flywheels are the same part number but the starters arent, Im planning on using the 98 starter.

Going to try to get everything swapped and the new engine set back in tomorrow, and hopefully running. Just trying to get everything figured out so I only have to make one trip to the parts store. Im 15 miles from town. The distributor plug looks to be dry on the new engine, intake gaskets seem to be dry as well, but are goin to be changed when I have more $$$ and its not 14 degrees out here. Right now I just need it running, cause if I tear into it to do those, I'll want to pull the front cover and do a timing set and oil pan gasket, etc.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Some of the sensors will not carry over from the 98 to the 95 for the simple fact that your 95 motor is OBDI and the original motor in the car is OBDII. That's going to create a little bit of work in and of itself. Technically it is against federal law to put an older motor into a car. But if you don't have inspections or smog tests that will likely never come up. But I felt it be necessary to at least put that out. That being said I don't know enough about the 3100 specifically to be able to tell you much other than the difference between OBDI and OBDII.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:06 AM

Ya I know about the sensors, the obd2 sensors will fit the 95 motor, am changing those and the egr to the 98 style. Not in an inspection state, but it will be smog legal when its done.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 AM

You going to use the computer from the 98 as well? You almost have to IOT use the sensors as far as I can tell. Good luck on the swap. I'd be able to figure out a lot more if I was able to look at it. Been quite a while since I've taken a look at a 3100. most of my work in the last 2 years has dealt with 3800s or SBCs (mainly 305s and 350s). Wish I could help you more.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 AM

Thought Id update for anybody else doing a swap similar later and searching here, since it is a 60* engine. All the sensors swapped right over, will be running off the 98 computer yes.

Actually the only sensors I had to swap that are different were the oil pressure and knock sensor. Didnt really look at the throttle body cause Im swapping upper intake w/TB and injectors from 98 back over to accomodate the newer egr valve. The rear exhaust manifold looked like it would be fine, but the 98's o2 sensor and egr pipe didnt want to come out so the 98 manifold went on.

The timing cover on the 95 motor doesnt have one bolt boss needed for the idler pulley, but is identical otherwise. Am swapping covers. Good excuse to check out the timing chain and put a new water pump in. All other accessory brackets, etc bolted right up. Made an adapter for the heater hose from the lower intake.

The only other thing is the 95 had another temp sensor in the right cylinder head that isnt used with the 98. I belive the 95 had a temp light and gauge seperate, where the 98 uses the one sensor. Looked to be the only difference with the oil pressure sensor too, the 95 sensor had the same shape plug but 3 wires where the 98 had one. Only thing I dont really like about the Malibus, no actual oil pressure gauge and a dummy temp gauge.

Im also a SBC guy but have been working on and building a lot of FWD these days. I will upload pics of the swap later when I get everything done. Havnt had as much time/money as Id like to get this done quickly, but its getting there. Hope to have it running tonight.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 AM

Well it ended up being about 4 days after my last post before I got it all together and going. Had to wait on money and time again. Ended up putting a new timing set in cause I just didnt feel comfortable not doing it while I was there. Also, got everything done, checked everything over before I ever put the key in the ignition. Checked wires, checked hoses, topped off fluids, checked everything. Bout 2 am, 18 or so degrees out and I hop in, hit the switch and crank crank crank crank............... gave up after about 20 minutes.

Came inside, cleaned up and warmed up. My 1 year old wakes up so I grab him and lay him in my lap while we search the good ol net to see if there was something common I coulda overlooked. Searched for a while. Finally started looking for something like, intake gasket repair no start, or somethin close to that....

The Haynes manual has the firing order wrong! #$(*89#*(#&()#, by that time kiddo is back out so I lay him down, grab the baby monitor, go out and switch wires and the thing fires right up a purrs like a brand new car. So for we have put about 600 miles on it, Seems to do very well in the ice and snow even with the ABS light on..... Someone cut the wires off one of the front hub sensors, so I get to replace a hub at least.

Other than that, have had no CEL, gas mileage has been very decent and power is excellent. Seems I will have to recharge/fix the A/C when the temperature starts climbing back up though, had a few warmish days and it never kicked on, wont come on with the defrost either. compressor isnt locked up so I guess I need to jump the wire and see if I can get it to engauge. I have several pictures of the swap I just need to get them on photobucket and linked over here.

Im also planning to tear the old motor down when the temp is a little more friendly and check out the damage, see if I can order that billet cam and rebuild it with some goodies for a back up engine or maybe a summer-time swap back in.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 AM

Congrats. Glad you were able to get it all in there.