V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

95 3.8 issues I need help

Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 PM

95 3.8 issues I need help

So I am having a couple of issues with my ride. first thing is, my camaro is an automatic. Whenever I have to make a stop, I have to shift down to first and back to drive when I proceed to accelerate and take off. If I do not shift it feels like it doesnt really want to move at all and my rpm run a little high.If I dont shift, it will still move but it will take a second for it to actually move like it should.I had a guy at work tell me that it was my catalytic converter and that it was bad. Mine might be going bad and I hear that if it glows cherry red after a while, then its bad.But Ive never really checked or noticed it. But he said that he had the same problem so he took his off and it fixed his problem. But im not going to take my converter off for it is illegal and I want my emmisions and everything to be right.I also had my car tested and they said my shift sensors were going bad, which i think this may be why its doing what its doing, but why would another guy have the same problem and it was his catalytic converter?
My other problem is that is that I am having overheating problems. I have changed the thermostat and I have checked the radiator. My water pump is also good and is doing its job. I even took my engine apart this weekend and completely changed all seals, including head gaskets and everything else. But the previous owner did tell me that there was a small leak somewhere in the radiator, and instead of replacing it or finding the leak and have the radiator fixed, he kept filling it with that gunky radiator stop. Now that stuff is everywhere.all through the heater core,radiator, and engine.Do you think it could be that I need to have this all flushed out and that it will fix my overheating issue? The heater core and radiator is the only thing that I can think of that might be left thats wrong.help?