V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

94 v6 - "misfire" falling on its face. desperate for help interpreting logs

Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: 94 v6 - "misfire" falling on its face. desperate for help interpreting logs

I added to my previous message, so re-read it.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 PM

I have no idea which pin that piece of metal goes to, they are all laid out so randomly. I can't find via Google anyone else who has dissected an ICM before. I found some instructions on a site pertaining to mega squirt where a guy pops the top off and solders wires for direct coil control for that application. I bought a new ICM from auto zone tonight. It took my last hundred bucks...I haven't installed it yet.. I'm no stranger to soldering and it's a trivial task really..I was thinking something along the same lines myself. Only I was pondering trying to solder the burnt/broken area together. Problem there being that I don't know what it looks like beneath the plastic. I like your idea better.

What I will do, is run a continuity check between all the pins and that strip of metal. That will narrow it down real quick. It will likely be connected to the crank sensor input (2 wire twisted pair) since the ICM handles all of the ignition junk for the first few moments of ignition before handing everything over to the pcm later on down the road.

I'll have to remove the potting compound. It's very gooey and malleable. Never seen a soft potting compound before... So I'll run continuity between the sensor input pins and the strip.. solder a wire from the strip to a wire. Connect however I can.. Hopefully if it all works out I can take back the unused ICM I purchased and get my money back! I appreciate the direction and good idea. I'll let you know what happens! ��
Old 08-04-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by hungryhobo
I have no idea which pin that piece of metal goes to, they are all laid out so randomly. I can't find via Google anyone else who has dissected an ICM before. I found some instructions on a site pertaining to mega squirt where a guy pops the top off and solders wires for direct coil control for that application. I bought a new ICM from auto zone tonight. It took my last hundred bucks...I haven't installed it yet.. I'm no stranger to soldering and it's a trivial task really..I was thinking something along the same lines myself. Only I was pondering trying to solder the burnt/broken area together. Problem there being that I don't know what it looks like beneath the plastic. I like your idea better.

What I will do, is run a continuity check between all the pins and that strip of metal. That will narrow it down real quick. It will likely be connected to the crank sensor input (2 wire twisted pair) since the ICM handles all of the ignition junk for the first few moments of ignition before handing everything over to the pcm later on down the road.

I'll have to remove the potting compound. It's very gooey and malleable. Never seen a soft potting compound before... So I'll run continuity between the sensor input pins and the strip.. solder a wire from the strip to a wire. Connect however I can.. Hopefully if it all works out I can take back the unused ICM I purchased and get my money back! I appreciate the direction and good idea. I'll let you know what happens! ��
I know its been a couple years but i was wondering what the outcome of your problem was? Thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM

What was the outcome of your diagnostics? Did you ever fine the problem? Thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 PM
Administrator

“hungryhobo” hasn’t signed in to this site since his last post more than 3 years ago. You might want to try a Private Message. Left click on his name and that option is offered in the drop down.