V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

3.8l Engine died

Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Unhappy 3.8l Engine died

Hi i have a 2000 camaro with a 3.8L and my motor died. I started my car and let it run for about 5 min to let it warm up and i was talking to my cousin and all of a sudden the car shut off like someone had turned the key into the off position. well i thought it might of been the fuel pump that went out and realized that it was around 5 bills to replace so i had to come up with something else. so i tinkered... if i floor the car while starting it, it will fire up and run as long as your foot is to the floor, as soon as i took my foot off it died. My cousin said maybe it the battery and we tried to jump it...no luck well then we changed the plugs and wires just in case it was a miss. we checked fuses relays and everything no luck. i bought a new battery and put it in just for the heck of it and it fired up no problem. well on the way home it died again about 25 min down the road. so im not sure if its the alternator, jumped time, bad gas, bad sensor somewhere or what im only 21 and i just started getting into cars and now im lost can someone please help me thanks!!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 PM

Re: 3.8l Engine died

ok so i put the battery on charge started up fine ran for about 5 min started to bog out really bad and stalled tried to crank it over again and it started and shut off again could this be fuel injectors, or an alternator??
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM

sounds like the alternator then.

autozone can test the alternator for free, or if you have a voltmeter it should read over 12 volts at the battery with the engine idling, ideally it should read about 14 volts, but if it's close to 12 or under the alternator is not charging the battery.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 AM

I had something similar with a semi-clogged fuel filter. It's easy to change. Might give that a try
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM

ok thanks i will try both what will a clogged fuel filter look like?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 PM

well i changed the alternator and still no luck it runs now but when i give it gas it dies i just bought a fuel filter but ran out of daylight to change it can anyone tell me where it would be located and the best way not to get gas everywhere and what if the fuel filter isn't it where do i go from here?? this is my every day driver and my only way to and from work
Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 PM

well i tried to change the fuel filter and when i try to get the nut off the gas line spins... i sprayed pb blaster on it and still won't break loose i don't want to snap my fuel line any suggestions??
Old 02-18-2011, 07:36 AM

ok changed fuel filter among other things that broke on my car while trying to fix it(break lines) and it still wont start???!!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM

Any codes or check engine light when it was running?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:59 PM

well the check engine light was on and the code was for a 02 sensor but its not reading because i don't have an exhaust it ends at the cat but if i floor it it will rev like it did before and die and i just changed the alternator plugs and wires and fuel filter... the guy at the garage said that i am losing fuel pressure from somewhere any ideas where it might be coming from
Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 AM

There is only 2 places for that,the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) or the pump.

My guess would be the pump.

Walbro's 225lph pump are about $100.00 and are a good upgrade.

There is an easy way to change it with the tank still in car.

Just do a search on this site.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM

thanks but is there a way for the fuel pump to be halfway bad?? like if i unhook the line and turn the key on i can hear the fuel pump run and it pushes the gas out the line or is it gravity pulling fuel out of the tank?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by dougefresh
thanks but is there a way for the fuel pump to be halfway bad?? like if i unhook the line and turn the key on i can hear the fuel pump run and it pushes the gas out the line or is it gravity pulling fuel out of the tank?
You need to get a gauge and hook it too the fuel rail.

Here is Shoebox's site full of good how to's

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 AM

my fuel pressure drops form 48 to 35 within 5 seconds do you think its the fuel pump? and the fuel pump info you gave me does theat come with everything i need because everywhere i look its like 500 bucks for a fuel pump
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM

ok my buddy said that my throtal body is dirty and he too off the air box and there is like a screen there and behind the screen its super nasty, like he used a shop vac and its still coming out dirty. and he said that some cars have a speratic fuel pressure and he doesnt want to put a fuel pump in it and that no be the problem because my fuel pump is a one piece deal so the regulator and pump are a whole and those are like 450 to 600 bucks and i dont have that kind of money to dump into it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.8l Engine died