V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Is $550 a reasonable cost for EGR valve/gasket replacement on a 3.4L...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Is $550 a reasonable cost for EGR valve/gasket replacement on a 3.4L...

Have a '94 3.4. For the past month there's been a rattling noise coming from the engine. Took it into Firestone (yes yes I know I know - please spare me the lecture on this place, but it's close to my work and I work 12 hours a day so I was just kind of out of options). They did some tests and said it was the EGR valve and gasket that needs replacing. I know nothing about cars, but after googling symptoms of a busted EGR valve that seemed reasonable in my completely ignorant opinion.

But they said it'd be $700 for the work, including parts and labor. When I called back after thinking about it for 10 minutes, the guy said he found a better deal from another vendor, and it'd be about $540 for everything. He said he was getting the valve for $400. I did a quick search on autozone, and found EGR valves for $200. And the gasket is just a freaking gasket.

So, is there something that my mechanically-ill-inclined self doesn't know about replacing EGR valve/gaskets that may make this a reasonable price to pay? I told the guy to hold off on the work, and he changed from incredibly happy and friendly type to the short and curt pretty quickly. I don't give a **** about offending him, but I just want to know if this is a reasonable cost, and that's hard for me to know since I don't know crap about these things.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:05 PM

EGR valve for my 3.8L is just under 150 bucks at Auto Zone. and I had an intake gasket go out and that only cost 70 bucks (parts and labor both) to replace so i don't see how it costs more in the 3.4 when it's a hell of a lot easier to work on. I think you might be getting jipped
Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 AM

Sounds high to me if the value only costs $200. If you plan on having the car for a few years you should atleast get a repair manual, it tells you exactly how to do these type of repairs and how much work is involved so you can atleast have an understanding and they can help you determine if it's something you need to pay a professional for. They are only $15. Also I would not buy Autozone parts if you plan on keeping the car for more than a year, Go to Napa the price is just a little higher but the quality is like night and day better. And call around and get more estimates on the job. Also, if you ever need a service dash light examined autozone will do this free, no sense in paying a shop to do it.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 PM

The EGR is a snap to replace, it's 4 bolts. Go buy one and put it on yourself.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FunkZ
The EGR is a snap to replace, it's 4 bolts. Go buy one and put it on yourself.
Its 2 bolts on a 3.4

I know someone that needed one, I went to the junkyard and got one for $10 with a 45 day warrenty
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 PM

what would a cars performance be like if a egr valve went out?? because i took mine off looked at it and some of the foil on the gasket was kinda rubbin off any tips??
Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
Its 2 bolts on a 3.4
Yeah I was thinking 2 more for the tube to the plenum but that comes off the base.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaroLevi
what would a cars performance be like if a egr valve went out?? because i took mine off looked at it and some of the foil on the gasket was kinda rubbin off any tips??
depends on why it failed......it would probly stick open and have a miss at lower rpms. The gasket is not big deal a gasket is like $2.......they used that EGR valve on alot of GM cars. We got one from a buick or something at the junkyar....they are all the same, does not have to be from an F-body
Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 AM

depends. I have had them stick open and it would hardly run at all.... it was stuck all the way open then... no vacuum for anything either.... people have taken plenty of them off and blocked it though, and it works just fine... you could get it tuned out as well I suppose. no more egr needed then. If it is a dealer fixing it then yea, the costs i could see. Same with a shop most times. they would charge dealer prices for the part. You can normally get the same part for half that and stick it in yourself.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 PM

they do stick open at different levels causing different running conditions

they also can be blocked off to eliminate them(you can cut a soda can or beer whatever is handy or empty first)to bolt between where the gasket is
as far as the price they don't charge dealer price-what smaller shops do is usually double the purchase price to cover the overhead costs of the building and the hourly rate pays the tech that fixes the car and the rest goes to the profit of the shop

what you could do is call the shop and ask if they can put in the part if you buy it and bring it with you

i have to tell you,you might want to bring it somewhere else cause i have never heard of an egr valve making and noise they usually just make the car run like shisnit!!!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
Its 2 bolts on a 3.4

I know someone that needed one, I went to the junkyard and got one for $10 with a 45 day warrenty
That is exactly what I was thinking. I have rarely seen the valves fail so if there is a cheap one at a junkyard, I personally would take the chance instead of plunking down the large sum of money for a brand new one. I would put on a fresh gasket though.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 PM

That's interesting. how would you go about blocking it? and how would it run after blocking it?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt.
That's interesting. how would you go about blocking it? and how would it run after blocking it?
A simple plate does the trick of blocking it.. as fr as running, it would run normal i believe. most of the time it is closed anyhow i think. Probably have to get the EGR tuned out of the computer though just to make sure
Old 01-26-2008, 10:02 PM

This'll be just a temporary fix for me. I'd like to have the part because when i move to TN if I end up close enough to nashville then i'll have to do emissions testing and i want to make sure i pass so this is just temporary. i can't imagine it would hurt anything if i don't mess with the computer would it?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 AM

The car should run normally with it blocked off, it is kind of a hit or miss whether it will trip an SES light though.

Quick Reply: Is $550 a reasonable cost for EGR valve/gasket replacement on a 3.4L...