Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Raced a 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 PM

Raced a 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa

A friend of mine has had this bike for awhile so he knows how to ride. I gave him a ride in my 97 camaro and he said it was comparable to his bike. I could not believe this so we had to race a few times. First time was from a 3rd gear roll at 3000 rpms(i should have been in second), he immediatly pulled 4 cars on me and thats were he stayed up to 170mph or so. This was the fastest ive ever been in a car and was scarred to death lol. The second race was from a 1st gear roll at about 4500rpms. He put about 3 cars on me this time and stayed there up to 140mph, didnt have any want to go faster lol. Finally we decided to go from a stop and i got the jump on him, but he still but 2 cars on me and stayed there.

I was running 11.50 wide et streets and stock rims all around. I would spin all the way through 3rd gear. I can't beleive the stock 3.23 ten bolt is still holding up. I know if i could get some better traction i would be atleast even if not in front of him. Overall it was the great losing to one of the fastest production bikes by only a few cars. I cant wait to race a 600 or 750 rocket lol.

Oh and if you want to call me stupid for going this fast on the road, we were only endangering ourselves as the roads were deserted. We had a friend go a few miles down the road to make sure nobody was coming. And ya i already know im stupid for going that fast.

Last edited by Jameslt1TA; 03-26-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:56 AM

No doubt your car is fast but your buddy cant ride. I ran a 10.88 on my 02 gsxr 750,and i couldn't keep the wheel down.With front straps I can dip into the 9's. Bike was stock besides quick excel kit and exhaust. Busa's are heavy so you should get the jump from a stop but from a roll he should pull insanely hard. I'm not knocking you either,just saying don't be surprised if you roll up on a lil 600 or 750 and get humbled. By the way stock 600's and 750's are faster in the 1\4 than the bigger bikes.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JC95Z
No doubt your car is fast but your buddy cant ride. I ran a 10.88 on my 02 gsxr 750,and i couldn't keep the wheel down.With front straps I can dip into the 9's. Bike was stock besides quick excel kit and exhaust. Busa's are heavy so you should get the jump from a stop but from a roll he should pull insanely hard. I'm not knocking you either,just saying don't be surprised if you roll up on a lil 600 or 750 and get humbled. By the way stock 600's and 750's are faster in the 1\4 than the bigger bikes.
Soooooooooooooooo, you don't think that a built turbocharged LT1 can pull insanely hard from a roll? You need to go for a ride in one.

OP good job. You might want to try MT ET street radials instead of the bias tires.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Your making more than likely low 300s to the wheels, he is making more than likely 500-600hp to the wheels. There is quite a difference in power there and bikes do not do well aerodynamically at speed.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 PM

why are my friends zx10's and busas running 9's when my R6 couldnt bust into 10's then? hahaha.

and did you ever ACTUALLY run a 9 with your 750 and straps? or just assuming...

OP, sounds like a blast, you should toss some 3.73s in that thing and you will probably run up on him a lot faster as long as you can row through the gears fast enough.hehe. nice work.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
Soooooooooooooooo, you don't think that a built turbocharged LT1 can pull insanely hard from a roll? You need to go for a ride in one.

OP good job. You might want to try MT ET street radials instead of the bias tires.
Does a turbocharged LT1 trap at nearly 150mph? The Hayabusa does. Therefore, assuming the bike started the race in the proper gear, the car wouldn't have passed the bike until at least 150mph. I don't know enough about the OPs car to doubt his story, but I haven't seen too many street cars trap 150mph.

JC95Z - stock 600s and 750s aren't faster in a straight line than liter class sport bikes. Maybe on a roadcourse, but not at a drag strip.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by MarkJ
Does a turbocharged LT1 trap at nearly 150mph? The Hayabusa does. Therefore, assuming the bike started the race in the proper gear, the car wouldn't have passed the bike until at least 150mph. I don't know enough about the OPs car to doubt his story, but I haven't seen too many street cars trap 150mph.

JC95Z - stock 600s and 750s aren't faster in a straight line than liter class sport bikes. Maybe on a roadcourse, but not at a drag strip.
There are N/A LT1's that have trapped close to that. I know everyone always references him, but it's always the first that comes to mind, Joe Overton. In a 388 N/A LT1 IIRC. Also, there are plenty of LT1's in the 140+ category, so pulling on a 'busa from a roll wouldn't be that hard to believe. Considering it takes a very very very good driver to run a 'busa to its full potential in the 1/4 mile. Being a split second off on shifts can cost you quite a bit. *(that's why I go auto FTW)*
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 AM

You are totally missing the point. 1/4 mile traps are irrelevant. They were street racing from a roll. The 60-140 or 80-140 acceleration could very well be the same for the bike and the car.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
You are totally missing the point. 1/4 mile traps are irrelevant. They were street racing from a roll. The 60-140 or 80-140 acceleration could very well be the same for the bike and the car.
I wouldn't bother, certain people have it set in their minds that BIKE > CAR and there's no changing their misguided opinions. One of the things I took into consideration when building my car was that I wanted to be able to run with the 600's. Everyone always says "your car will be quick, but not bike quick."
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM

Wow the track kill section is still alive! Thanks for the replies guys. One thing to take into consideration is that im at 5000+ft above sea level. High elevation doesn't affect a turbo motor as badly as it does a na one.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
I wouldn't bother, certain people have it set in their minds that BIKE > CAR and there's no changing their misguided opinions. One of the things I took into consideration when building my car was that I wanted to be able to run with the 600's. Everyone always says "your car will be quick, but not bike quick."
Trap speeds are, in fact, a decent indication of how a roll race on the street will end up. 1/4 mile E.T. is not. Pretty simple concept. You made a pretty big leap of logic by implying that I have it set in my mind that bikes are always faster than cars. All I said - and it doesn't matter if it's a bike, car, or whatever - is that if vehicle A does 150 mph in the 1/4 mile, vehicle B better be in that ballpark or vehicle B is going to lose in a roll race that ends at said speed or thereabouts.

Explain to me how if I can get to 150 in the 1/4 mile and you can only get to 130, how starting at 10 mph roll somehow negates my 20mph trap speed advantage. Short answer - it won't.

Try to follow along: 1/4 mile E.T. is not a good basis for predicting the outcome of street roll races; trap speed is. You do understand the difference between trap speed and and E.T, don't you?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:47 AM

MarkJ makes a great point. in dummy terms... trap speed is how fast your car/bike is, ET is how well you know how to drive/ride it.lol.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM

No doubt your car is fast but your buddy cant ride. I ran a 10.88 on my 02 gsxr 750,and i couldn't keep the wheel down.With front straps I can dip into the 9's.
I had a 2002 GSX-R1000. It was lowered, strapped, tuned, and had a slip on exhaust. It made 152 hp to the back tire.

But the hilarious thing was the first time I ran it at the drag strip. I went 10.77 @ 128mph with a 2.6-2.7 60 ft time. After a few passes I was able to click off some high 9s @ 149-152mph.

My buddy was a much better rider than me and was able to dip low into the 9s.

And from a roll the bike is at an aero disadvantage to a car. But generally with a 3000lb or heavier car you are going to need like 850+rwhp to match the power/weight ratio of the bike.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Bikes always jump out fast on the big powered cars, but always get pulled at higher speeds (obviously assuming the car has the hp). This was shown by your races... he jumped out early then you held him once you got going.

Good kill. I am surprised by it, but anyhting can happen on the streets.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Trap speeds are, in fact, a decent indication of how a roll race on the street will end up. 1/4 mile E.T. is not. Pretty simple concept. You made a pretty big leap of logic by implying that I have it set in my mind that bikes are always faster than cars. All I said - and it doesn't matter if it's a bike, car, or whatever - is that if vehicle A does 150 mph in the 1/4 mile, vehicle B better be in that ballpark or vehicle B is going to lose in a roll race that ends at said speed or thereabouts.

Explain to me how if I can get to 150 in the 1/4 mile and you can only get to 130, how starting at 10 mph roll somehow negates my 20mph trap speed advantage. Short answer - it won't.

Try to follow along: 1/4 mile E.T. is not a good basis for predicting the outcome of street roll races; trap speed is. You do understand the difference between trap speed and and E.T, don't you?
You're talking to me like I'm some kind of retard? For starters, I know a thing or two about a fast car... I'll email you my time slips this spring/summer. Now you must not be too up to date on your street racing. It takes one of the best riders out there to take a Hyabusa to its full potential in the 1/4, including trap speed. The shifts come so quick that it'd be easy to shift a little too early or a little too late on the street while trying to keep an eye on the big car you're racing. Second, not every Hyabusa runs the same trap speed. Also, do you know how heavy the rider was? A 150lb rider is going to be taking his bike a lot faster than a 300lb rider. There are so many factors. And wouldn't you know it, traction comes into play during a roll race, not just from a dig. It takes a damn good suspension and tire setup to hook from a roll on the street with a super powerful vehicle. A 10mph roll race will put the car out in front if it can hook better than the bike. Well built turbo LT1's trap a lot better than you think. Another thing, if the roll race doesn't start with the bike in it's powerband, it's going to lose some ground there too.

It's not hard to believe the LT1 pulled away.

If you're going to talk to me that way then I might as well get my shots in too.

Get a fast car before you start telling other people about theirs.

Quick Reply: Raced a 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa