Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

In keeping with the theme... Another GT learns the truth...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 PM

In keeping with the theme... Another GT learns the truth...

Well I finally got the new rear-end bolted up and suitable for the road...

And I'm making my way back from 'The Jim'... OKA: my buddies shop where I take the Z to make her stronger... and there's nothing happenin' in either direction... I mean it is DEAD!

So I make a right onto one of the least likely road in town to find some action and within a few seconds my rearview fills to the brim with a Bronze colored Mustang... particularly noteworthy given that there's an entire lane open on the outside; and Dude is on me like he's ready to start rubbin'....

SO I decided to roll to the outside, give dude the lane and see who we're dealin' with here. The Local Federalis have a few Mustang stalking horses and this seemed a little 'too-to...'

So he blasts by and right up on the next person in line as if he didn't quite understand the four lane concept... it's a nice looking GT... sounds great... but nothing particularly noteworthy beyond what were probably Borlas...

Well, anywho... I'm turning left at the light; so I hop in behind him and he blasts out into the right lane, and I decided that I'd cut him loose... then I changed my mind and summarily reeled what he'd laid out; probably 5 or 6 cars in no time...

So the turn lane is empty except for one little car, sitting on the inside lane of three left turn lanes... and as we're coming up on its readily apparent that its a long since stale red... so we're about to get the green... as we bleed off a little speed and sidle up towards the intersection...

For whatever reason he takes the outside... and we get the green while we're both at around 25 mph...

CRUSHED HIM! ANNIHLATED him... Put 3 cars on him in the turn... and it got much worse very quickly thereafter.

Now remember... DUDE is the one that rolled up on me... and while a GT Mustang hasn't been much of a run for quite a while... I did cut him the courtesy of a quick run.

And fellas when someone does that for ya... it's just common courtesy to look over and flip 'em a thumbs up or the bird or somethin'... It took dude two lights to catch up... and when he did he just sidled by without so much as a howdy... with his little blue-tooth thingy hangin' off his ear...

ROFL...

Life's too short to go without class kids... even if ya are drivin' in Mustang.

OH! FTR: that was NA... haven't filled the bottle in at least three months... but in fairness... it was with the new Dana 60 and the spooled 513s...

Which I gotta say... LOVE 'EM! Zippy... seems to get the power up and rollin VERY fast... and that's kinda cool.

Last edited by OVA1; 02-20-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 AM

HellOooo...

Test...

Test, test...

Is this thing on?

Can ya hear me in the back row?

Is anyone IN the back Row...

Free Beer ALL NIGHT..for the next Person to shout... "Me so HORNY!"

Anyone...

Anyone at all?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Damn, I can't imagine 5.13's! Combined with that torque converter it'll be a beast from a stop or slow roll like that. Other cars will need a lot longer to get into their powerband.

What tires are you running to hold all that on the street?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 PM

That's good ****! Love hearing about other strong running LT1's. How are the 5.13's working out for you? I'll be running a Performabuilt Level 2 4L60e this spring and I'm running 3.73's. I couldn't imagine anything more. Although, the majority of my driving is street driving. Reach 2nd gear by 35-40mph is almost way too soon for me. I definitely miss reaching darn near 60 in first gear with the old 2.73's.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by John M
Damn, I can't imagine 5.13's! Combined with that torque converter it'll be a beast from a stop or slow roll like that. Other cars will need a lot longer to get into their powerband.

What tires are you running to hold all that on the street?
LOL.. Yeah man... I would have never just said "Send me some 5.13s..." they're definitely different...

The Tires changed at the same time... I ran across a guy selling his 17" Center Line rims/tires... Which still had some decent rubber on the 285/40s...

Work and look great...

Check it out...

Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDQuanBn.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  825.5 KB

They hook great on the street... but like any street tire they're worthless from a dig... and these are no exception. Best I could get out of 'em at the track was a 2.1 60'...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
That's good ****! Love hearing about other strong running LT1's. How are the 5.13's working out for you? I'll be running a Performabuilt Level 2 4L60e this spring and I'm running 3.73's. I couldn't imagine anything more. Although, the majority of my driving is street driving. Reach 2nd gear by 35-40mph is almost way too soon for me. I definitely miss reaching darn near 60 in first gear with the old 2.73's.
Man, it's twisted... Part throttle, just pulling out into traffic from a right angle... first gear is gone before ya hit the apex. guessin' that 1-2 is around 20 mph... WOT it hangs in there for a second or so...

70 mph is 35 or 3600 RPMS... 55 is around 2500... DD would get fairly pricey with these gears... but 0-60 is insane.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by OVA1
Man, it's twisted... Part throttle, just pulling out into traffic from a right angle... first gear is gone before ya hit the apex. guessin' that 1-2 is around 20 mph... WOT it hangs in there for a second or so...

70 mph is 35 or 3600 RPMS... 55 is around 2500... DD would get fairly pricey with these gears... but 0-60 is insane.
How do you hook on the street? I get too much joy out of street driving to move about 3.73's. I was even a little ticked off about my top end when I first moved from 2.73's with just a CAI and muffler delete. But now I like them more, well rounded gear.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM

very nice car! i havn't had the opportunity to get a good run on a gt yet sadly. the only one i've ran so far i let come past me on the interstate then shifted to forth and stepped in it. even with me and 2 other good sized guys in my car i still ran him in pretty quick. but i have 4.11 gears, so mine acts right low down anyway. lol
Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
How do you hook on the street? I get too much joy out of street driving to move about 3.73's. I was even a little ticked off about my top end when I first moved from 2.73's with just a CAI and muffler delete. But now I like them more, well rounded gear.
She hooks good on the street; and by that I'm assuming you're familiar with the street start...

As a general rule, gunning it out of the hole was a non-starter when I got the car; stock with 150k on it...

That's times ten now... I've never tried to quantify the technique; but it's probably on the order of 1/3 throttle through first to the first 25% of 2nd then flog it for all she's got.

The new wheels and gears have been remarkably stable using that technique...

Towards an update; we're down again... not sure what the hell is going on;

But she bogged on me when I was heading to the track last Sunday... runnin' fine... all indications were that we were in great shape...

Pulled up to an intersection to make a right turn and she bogged something FIERCE... Scanned the gauges, everythings normal; Power braked it, to keep her from stalling and made the turn; when I got back on the gas she was clakin' and missing like a murph... got back out of it, scanned the gauges again and still everything's fine... slower powered back up and she's fine, but clearly missing... or running rough, not quite as bad before; but one helluava long way from good.

I was on a two lane with steep shoulders and didn't want to pull off road... the exhaust just won't let that happen in most places; but I limped her on down the road about a mile or so to a gas station... popped the lid and it sounded like the pistons were swapping holes.

Was SURE that I'd spun a bearing or something... although I've never heard what a car sounds like when it's spun a bearing; so I dunno.

We towed her back to The Jim... and I fired it up for the guys to listen to it and the concensus was that it wasn't a bearing; they seemed to think it was another broken spring...

Got the VC off the side that was clackin' and we didn't find any broken springs... but we DID find that the oil system was barely puttin' out any oil.

Usually the oiling ports in the pushrods will spew oil; making a mess in a damn hurry all over the body near the top of the strut, back through the headers... not now.

Theories are flyin'... smoked bearing, crushed filter... maybe we'll get into this week end; but I doubt it...

Anyone run across this one before?

but while the Oil Pressure indicates normal,
Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Nice kill. Im guessing that this was a newer GT?