Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

First Kill in 4 years!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM

First Kill in 4 years!

Its been a while since 've been on the message board. I sold my 02 car (I think my wife drugged me) due to a career change and new baby, but recently due to a return to the old but more financial stable career and after another kid convinced the wife to "allow me" to return to the F-Body owners association. (I did not drug her!) So 12sec02ss is outdated. I now have a 2000 SS A4. Not quite the beast, but I'm not done yet. I sold the first car in late 2004 and last month bought the new one. The first thing I did was drove the thing cross country and then took the wife and both kids for a ride. After the joy ride I washed the car to remove the 4 and 3 year old hand prints and went to watch a football game at a buddy's house. Among the crowd of people admiring the new ride was a mutual friend with a late model maxima. He's supercharged it, but I don't know the specifics. He commented that the SS was nice, but it couldn't be that fast. As every diehard true American sports car driver would, I bit. Not knowing exactly what I had gotten myself into because no one would say anything about this forced induction Maxima and my friend is a non-hood lifter, we headed for a secluded straight away. With a few spectators I ran the proposed track for pot holes, dips, etc as it was a new road to me and returned to line em up. I decided not to even worry about a burn out on this asphault road and even further I was leaving the car in over drive and not manipulating the shifts manualy. We lined up and I told him, I'd go when he went and foot braked the car to about 2200 rpm. He lunged, I stepped off the brake and hammered it, managed to remember the feeling of tire spin and worked it out. I guess tire spin had something to do with it, but out of the hole I had an initial jump and then it got tight. I'd guess about 60 ft or so of tight, then the LS1 wound up and left. He was completely in the drivers side mirror, somewhere between what I would guess was an 1/8 and a 1/4 mile. I don't know how the Maxima rates up against my except for a K&N and Flowmaster Catback stock SS, but after 4 years of no street racing I fell like my feet are at least damp again.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 AM

Excellent story and glad to see your back in the game again.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM

He'll never win. The more power he makes, the more his FWD wastes it. He'll either want drag radials or demand to run from a roll.

I've never understood the "don't tell what's under the hood" mentality. You had already agreed to run him and the win or loss wouldn't hinge on whether you had actually seen his engine so what's the big secret?

I know the big money racers don't want anybody to know but that's not me and hopefully also not someone racing a Maxima...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:49 PM

Nice!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Was he pissed?

Imagine if you had a good catback.

Does your SS have the optional airbox lid, or is it the standard air intake?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 PM

It's good to be back in the game!

As far as him being pissed, no he wasn't. Suprised, yes, but not pissed. I wasn't suprised about out running him, I was suprised I could still drive on the street.

When we got back to the house he did close the gap a little in his story. I let him tell it. I don't really care. I had a passenger to verify and we had spectators. We all know who one.

And last...the car has a standard air box.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 AM

Good kill! Glad you got another F-body. My wife nags me sometimes that I should sell my car. I just smile and say "Sweetie, I would trade you in before I would my car". Then I duck

Now go put a bigger stall in there. Sneak in a few hints this Xmas season that nothing says I love you quite like a Yank SS3600. Except maybe a SS4000
Old 10-03-2008, 05:25 PM

your 60 foot times will improve if you lay off the foot brake rpm. i found at the track that about 1100 to 1200 rpm was good for 2.0 anything more the tires started to spin and kill the 60 foot. you deffently DONT want tire spin off the line but you do want to load the engine up a little