Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Caught beating myself...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:58 PM

Caught beating myself...

Has it ever happened to you?

SO I miss the TNT on Friday night and decide to try the brackets on Saturday night.

I mean she's been so consistant and we COULD turn this thing into some positive cash right? LOL... RIiiiiiiiiiiigggghht!

I stopped by the Home-D and got an Dewalt impact driver to alleviate my LEAST favorite part, which is changing the street tires to the Mickey's and got there right after the cutoff for the first race, so it takes me about 3 minutes to change the tires, just in time to wait TWO FREAKIN' HOURS for the second race...

At which time I take my ONE time run and sit for another 45 minutes for the first eliminator of the Sportsman herd...

My time run was 7.85 with a 1.73 60, but I broke loose so I know it's high... plus it's going to be dark by the time we run and she always runs better in cool evening air... So I'm trying to decide what dial-in to run and I've got plenty of time, so no big deal...

Well FINALLY... they call us up and the Comaro Saints be praised, what do I pull up next to but a late model Dodge Charger... WOO HOO! I am IN! I am going to run this thing down like a dollar in the breeze!

But I can't find my damn dobber... I look around and there's a chick walking by WITH A DOBBER in her hand... MAN can ya BELIEVE THIS? I am BLESSED! Clearly I am about to take home some coin in this deal... The car was running GREAT, Shifting PERFECT (on the one time run) and the first qualifier is a LOCK... and Dobbers are pouring FORTH from the ether...

So I decide to go with '4'... remember the time run was 7.85 and I broke loose, plus it's cooler.. and 4 just popped into my head, so I write the dial in on the window and wait for our turn...

Burn out goes very well, the car is running GREAT... we stage up and the Charger get their light, I get mine, I give an extra tick so I don't red light and launch... She BLAST out of the hole...

The crazy thing is I noticed that she's already got 3 or 4 cars on me when I come out of the dig and while I'm reeling that in steady, it's is already apparent that it's unlikely that there's enough track to get it done... I close to half a car when we pass the traps... so I'm out and I see the ET fly by and it's a 7.82... DAMN I broke out...

HEY WAIT A MINUTE< 'what the hell did I write as a Dial in? OH HELL NO! And it all just flashed through my head in a streaming ephiphany... THAT's WHY SHE WAS SO FAR GONE BY THE TIME I GOT OUT...

I put 7.4 as the dial in... NOT 7 . 84

ROFLMNAO... can you BELIEVE THAT CRAP?

I wanted to be pissed... but I'd have still borken out... so after paying 45 bucks (I took my daughter) to make two passes over four HOURS... I completely screwed myself out of a race I OTHERWISE COULD NOT LOSE! So I headed back to the pits, spent another efforless 3 minutes changing the tires, packed up the humble material manifest for our little operation and headed home... where I spent the next hour floating between cussing myself and laughing at myself...

Last edited by OVA1; 03-30-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 AM

LOL... No one's EVER done this?

Come ON!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 PM

I usually get a bunch of runs on test an tune, can't hook up worth crap, so I dial in with that. What happens in the first race, thing hooks up and I'm to stupid to know how to back off. At least the last time I set a new best et.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 PM

You would have broken out if you didnt just dial a 7.8 to be safe...a 7.8X is pretty damn specific and with all the things that can go wrong adding that third digit is just more of a hassle unless you DEAD consistent...obviously the ET streets help with your launch consistency and your auto...

I bracket raced with a manual transmission 4cyl on street tires....you wanna talk about dial in....depending on how bad the track prep was I could easily be off by 2-3 tenths everything else almost being equal...

I always wanted to breakout because that meant my car had to go faster than my personal best...if it happened I would be sad to break out but happy the car went quicker

But being off by 4 tenths in an 1/8 mile is a pretty large error that you can chalk up with being in a rush....get some shoe polish and be ready with a 7.8 on your window...if you break out the car went quicker and so be it...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by OVA1
LOL... No one's EVER done this?

Come ON!
What? Misspelled CAMARO?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by SergioEK9B18C5turbo
You would have broken out if you didnt just dial a 7.8 to be safe...a 7.8X is pretty damn specific and with all the things that can go wrong adding that third digit is just more of a hassle unless you DEAD consistent...obviously the ET streets help with your launch consistency and your auto...
Just an FYI if you leave the 3rd digit off it automatically becomes a 0. So if you dial 7.8 it will be put into the timers as a 7.80. You are not allowed to have a 2 digit number.