Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Cam'd/Headers/Bolt-on/Tune 5th-Gen SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:53 PM

Cam'd/Headers/Bolt-on/Tune 5th-Gen SS

So Im out cruising a few weeks back and as I'm returning to the house, having not found anything of interests, I spot a gray 5th-Gen that seems to be coming on about a 1/4 mile back.

So I slow down to let the light ahead change and pass my turn, hoping to get a little action.

The problem, of course, is that the old Performabuilt Lvl 2 is quickly succumbing to the two years of sitting between builds and a subsequent terrible tune, which I never got straightened out. She shifts S L O W and feathery at WOT and around town, she up-shifts way to early and I am not sure if there's enough left to get this done.

Anywho... The light at the intersection cooperates, turning red which gives the 5th Gen time to catch up. It pulls in behind me and a car back, to the outside.

My guess is that the driver got up close and heard the lump and decided that the six cylinder was not a contender, so when the green hits I check the coast and seeing that its clear, roll out for a nice punchy hole-shot, because, it was an open road and why wouldn't ya?

But just as I am idling back down, OUT OF NOWHERE a very sharp black on black 5th-Gen is on my inside rear bumper and dude was flat getting on it and she was definitely cammed up and header qualified.

But I drop her down into 3rd, throw the hammer and rolled dude up in short order. Putting a car on him in virtually no time and get on out, as we were approaching a NOTORIOUS right hand sweeper, which delineates the City Limit, leading to a stretch of road posted at just over a school-zone and I'm hoping dude is local, cause if he ain't, he's likely to roll past the little 1/8 mile stretch locals use as a slow-down zone before we hit the trap; speed trap that is, and friends, this stretch is a ticket production zone, let me tell ya!

Well that light is a longy and I'm wanting to let dude know, but I can't break the code and look over, so now I'm trying to decide, 'if he goes, do I just let him go or take the near certain risk of a ticket-hit?'.

Long story short, he goes and he's all in... going BIG!

The first thing ya notice is that he's definitely cammed up, his car's a screamer. But I gotta give him first, because it's pointless to do otherwise and decide to do the only thing I can, given the circumstances and, put him away within the the safe zone, breaking hard, using the tranny to get down to within the bounds of good taste through the 'zone of death' and make my right to get to the waterin' hole, for a frosty cold soda pop.

Well, to my delight, dude follows me around the corner and jumps ALL UP ON IT, rolling to my inside, which was a truly great move, cause in doing so, he shut me out giving me only two options: get out or get behind .

Well, once dude rolls by, I throw what's left and toss her down into the money hole and light the afterburner, where upon we begin to reel in what he picked up with that sweet move to the inside.

I push her thru 2nd, which still feels pretty strong, but she slips up into the limiter way early and despite having punched the stick up into 3rd, she bumped off the top and s l o w l y feathered into gear, w h i n i n g through the slip something awful.

Thankfully, we immediately catch the next light and upon the green, I roll out in 2nd, walking him handily, but before she shifts into 3rd, dude inexplicably slams the breaks and pulls a u-ee, I give a quick thumbs up, go down to the next slot, drift a u-ee and take it on back to the Chiki, where I find dude and buy him a soda pop.

Now since then, I've installed the new Performabuilt Level 3 tranny and VIVA La DIFFERENCE!. She shifts like a Ninja. And I cannot WAIT to find dude again... and brothers and sisters, its gonna be UGLY!

Last edited by OVA1; 07-31-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 PM

Re: Cam'd/Headers/Bolt-on/Tune 5th-Gen SS

What?

No responses?

That is a 17 year old Pony Car, taking down a well modified state of that art 5th gen and NO ONE wants to comment on it?

Seriously? Come on girls and boys… show some pride.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM

I think it comes down to the fact your car is 17 years old but a purpose built straight line monster. Of course you were going to win.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:05 PM

Sounds like a blast to me. You never know what the other guy has till you both go WOT.

I don't think his car is a straight-line wonder. It just happens to pack more than average horsepower -- exactly what you need when the light turns green.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 PM

I can out run most 5th gens in the TBSS with dvd playing in the rear ... and can tow the buick or whatever I want to the track.
I ran 6.90's @ 100 mph 1/8 with a stock long block 231 cubic inches that was built by gm 26 yrs ago ? 3,770lb with me in it all creature comforts gets 20 mpg

Last edited by Mr99SS; 09-07-2013 at 07:43 PM.