Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Add insult to injury; C5 Z06

Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Add insult to injury; C5 Z06

Heading home from work the other day, and mom has my DD while here on vaca. So, the TA has been pullin double duty as a toy and temporary DD. I havent had too much try me worth speaking of, until last night anyways.

Another late night at work, headed home after 11+hours at the shop, tired, hungry, cruisin around 75+, windows down, enjoying the cool southern winter air, and so was the car. Havent driven her as much in the last 6 months as I have this week, so it was like falling in love all over again, getting reaquainted so to speak. So here we are, spending some "quality time" together, runnin down the highway, listening to that sweet full hooker exhaust roarin at around 3k rpm, when up ahead I see quad tailights, low stance, center exhaust, yup, looks like it could be the next victim. So I ease into the gas, dont want to ruin the element of surprise. I notice its movin at quite a rapid pace itself, so I get into it a little more and start making headway; Yup, its a vette, and hes rowing through traffic at a fair pace, so I know theres a good chance he'll play. As I come up on him, im gettin anxious 'cause we're doin about 80 already, but I want to slow him down. As I get along aside I realize its a Z06, and now im really anxious. I get stuck in the right lane of 3, so I get behind him and slide all the way over to the left and start to make the pass and let him know im here. As I get even with him I let off and then get back on it a little harder and finish the pass, then he gets stuck behind a car and I get in front of the car and I see him jump out to the left. GAME ON, he took the bait.

So I let off after the pass and let him catch up to me as I pull into manual 3rd to let him know Im ready when he is. He gets even with me and since my horn is inop I hold up 3 fingers. I hear him pull his stick down to 3rd and its go time. I let the car slow down to about 65 mph and he starts to even up with me and I hear one honk, two honks, he starts to roll into it just b4 the 3rd and I wasnt having it so I dropped the hammer. My tranny downshifts into 2nd and we're off. Its pretty even at first until I start getting into the upper RPM's and building some boost. I pull about 1-2 lengths on him by the top of second and I hit 3rd. I pull another 2 lengths on him pretty quickly and start walking his a$$ nearing the top of 3rd as were coming up on a car in the center lane so I jump into the right lane and he stays left. Im watching my a/f gauge sitting rock steady at 12:1 and then I glance down to see we're doing over 120 and I got him by an easy 6+ lengths so I said thats enough for me and let off and let the car coast down.

As Im coasting down I start feathering the brake pedal and I see taillights off on the shoulder in the distance. I start breaking harder and come up on a vehicle in my lane I realize it looks like a trooper car. Now the Z06 is just coming up even on me as we near the vehicle on the shoulder and I guess he didn't see it but he was slowing down. As we near it I get up behind the car in front of me and pass by doing about 77 or so and the Z06 zips by me still in the far left lane doing about 90. I say "Oh ****" we're so busted, as I pass the trooper with my brakes on and then I see the vette brake but its too late. The lights come on instantly but hes slow to pursue. I think about trying to get ahead of the vehicle in front of me and possibly the vette in hopes he'll get the vette, but for some reason I decided to stay where I was behind the other car. The cop catches up about 1 mile down the highway and hits the center lane, but hes not really flying to catch us so Im thinking hes radioing in and gonna try to get both of us. Now im praying to anyone that will listen to pleeeeaaase let him get the vette and not me. He hits the left lane as I sigh in relief waiting for him to pass by hoping he wont get on the PA and tell me to pull over as well. He zips by and right up the vettes a$$, who pulls off on the left side. I keep motoring! Now im watching up ahead thinking Im not out of the woods yet. Sure as ****, up ahead I see lights! I say to myself you gotta be kidding me. I had time to react so I jump into the far left lane and hit it to mix in with traffic in hopes if he is waiting for me, he wont see me. I mix in and calmly and quietly as I can, cruise right by him and get off at the next exit. Phewwww! Disaster avoided!

So not only did the poor guy get schooled by an ugly *** '93 TA with faded paint and peeling clearcoat, he minimally got a nasty ticket if not worse. I feel bad for the guy in a way, especially since I initiated it. Oh well, thats a notch under the belt, and I never flipped the switch for the NOS. My sights are set on a C6 Z06 next time. Need to fill the bottle though and put the 100 shot jets in just in case! Hope you enjoyed my drama!

Last edited by blown94; 03-30-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Retired

Sounds like it should have been alot closer than that. What's your car trap? C5 Z06s trap around 117mph stock in the 1/4.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 AM

Haven't had this setup to the track yet so I couldnt tell you. Id guess 2 of those carlengths were his lack of skills in the stick dep. or possibly just undershifting the rpm range. Auto's=consistency=wins. I'm setup to shift around 6500.

My old setup was a powerdyne at 6psi with a 150 shot on a cc306 and its trapped 96 in the 1/8. Now Im hitting about 10-12 psi but no juice and a smaller cam and it feels every bit as nasty as it was b4 if not more so.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Nice!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM

If it's a toss up the cop is going to go for the vette every time.
Try telling the judge you were not speeding in your vette. You might as well just add court cost to your fine.

Last edited by PoorMan; 03-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 AM

You got lucky this time but I find it pretty foolish that you're willing to do something like this again (C6 Vette) after you nearly lost your car and license...

Also next time please make paragraphs, that was hell to read.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kraest
Sounds like it should have been alot closer than that. What's your car trap? C5 Z06s trap around 117mph stock in the 1/4.
You can trap that with a H/C/I LT1. Add 10psi to that and it sounds about right that he walked away easily.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Nice kill! You would have your hands full with a C6Z though.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Nice kill! You would have your hands full with a C6Z though.
Thanks,....and I agree with you, which is why I said I'd need to put my 100 or maybe even the 150 shot jets in and fill the bottle. Since I got rid of the powerdyne and installed the s-trim I havent had much need for the bottle on the street Although it is still in there, with 75 jets in it, you know, just in case.